Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-25-2015, 05:43 PM   #1

I have a battery that hasn't been charged or plugged in, in over 6 months. I tried using it to test it but nothing turned on. The fluid inside was still full. I'm looking to get a charger to keep it in when not in use. Would that help or could that battery be toast?

Any ideas on what kinda charger to get? Hopefully under $50

Joeymozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2015, 05:54 PM   #2
Take the battery to an auto parts house, and they should be able to load test that for you at no charge.

RHINOPOWER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:09 PM   #3
Ok thanks
2014 Coachman Clipper 17BH

One local trip under my belt....many more notches to nitch
Joeymozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:59 PM   #4
Buy a Batter Tender Plus and you will be set.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:32 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Battery may be toast. Put a battery minder or similar charger on it for a few days and see if it comes alive. If not, new battery time. Either way, you now have an appropriate charger to preclude the problem from reoccurring.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:08 AM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With the battery tender you need to charge the puppy up first, A Smart charger may work with it (or may refuse to work with it)

An old dumb charger will get it started in the charge, Put in like 10 amps for one hour and then switch to a smart charger

Then the Battery minder (TM) or Battery tender (TM)
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:13 PM   #7
The above is correct. The smart charger needs to see voltage from the charging battery. When that happens I usually use jumper cables from a charged battery and connect the smart charger on the dead battery. Then after a short while remove the jumpers.
Barbara and Laurent, Hartland Big Country 3500RL. 39 ft long and 15500 GVW.
2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Hypertech Max Energy for Fuel mileage of 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. ScangaugeII for display..
caissiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:39 PM   #8
Was the battery connected to your travel trailer? Even when not plugged in, your battery will continue to drain until dead due to your CO2 monitor.

This will most certainly kill it as any charge below 50% can damage your battery ( I know as it happened to me). My fix was to install a battery cut off switch for when the travel trailer was not in use or plugged in.

Two new batteries and 4 years later, still going strong. In fact, with the cut-off switch my batteries stay at 90% charge after 7 months of not being plugged in.

Hope this helps

NomadBD is offline   Reply With Quote