Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-30-2013, 05:52 AM   #15
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Max Freedom View Post
I have some parasitic loads. I fully charges the battery bank..... With the nights use lights, use of furnace, and cpap use other parasitic loads the batteries are drained by morning...
Your problem is AHs (Amp Hours). I suspect you replaced your batteries with two 12v. If they are just starting batteries, that is your problem. If they are "marine" batteries, that is better, but far from optimal. The minimum you need is two 6v true deep cycle "Golf Cart" batteries. 2 of these are 240AH. Even if you bought 12v true deep cycle, they still aren't enough, apparently. The 6v may not be either if your AH useage is just too great.

The first problem I see is the use of an inverter to power the CPAP, especially if you insist on using the incorporated heater. Not that you don't have a 120v only CPAP, but all I have ever seen are 12v. They just come with a 120v plug and have a 120/12v converter incorporated into the cord. If you follow the plug to the plug on the CPAP, you should see a small 12v wire that plugs into the CPAP, then another heavier cord going to the 120v heater portion.

If you check the model and mfg then search for "cpap supplies", you can make your way to finding a 12v cords and option battery packs. Most CPAPs are designed so you can travel with them. I got a 12v cord for the wifes and just tied it into a 12v circuit. She fills the humidifier with water and does not need the 120v heater.

LED lights will save you 90% over incandesent. A 12v LED TV will save the same over a 120v using an inverter. It's all about conserving when dry camping. We have two 6v GC batteries and go 48 hrs without the genny. That's running CPAP 8hrs a day, fantastic vent 8hrs, TV 3-6 hrs, lights as needed and the furnace at night.

John & Clare - Buck & Zeus - Jack & Husky
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38P
Towd: 2 HD Streetglides
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2013, 06:30 AM   #16
You might want to consider adding a catalytic heater so that you can stay warm without using any battery power.

Since you plan to use it at Yellowstone, be aware that the low oxygen sensors on some of them will prevent them from operating over about 6000'. The Olympian Wave series from Camco will work at high altitudes. It is available in three sizes. We have the smallest (Wave 3) and are happy with it. It keeps our bedroom nice and warm with outside temps in the 30s. If you want to warm the whole rig, you will need a larger heater.

Retired electronics engineer. Avid paddler & birder.
2011 Silverado 2500HD, diesel, 4x4,crew cab, 8' bed
Palomino Puma 253FBS (27' 5er) & '94 19' Class B
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #17
Thanks for all the information..... I now have a battery bank made up of 4 12 volt marine batteries..... I purchased 2 new 2 months ago..... And 2 new a week ago..... Now have approximate 400 amp hours of storage..... 200 usable....... I'm gonna try it out and see how it works....... I would have liked to have 6 volt batteries but already had 2 12 volt batteries..... When these die I'll get 6 volts........
Max Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #18
One advantage to using 12V batteries is you always have a spare if the tow vehicle battery dies miles from anywhere.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #19
Here is a great resource for RV 12v DC information

The RV Battery Charging Puzzle HandyBob's Blog
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #20
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by RamblingRV View Post
I'm still a newbie, but if your cpap is like my mom's, it runs on AC, not DC. Therefore your DC would be going thru your inverter first. At low wattage, inverters can be terribly inefficient, particularly if it is a large inverter running a small load. So is your cpap AC or dc? How big is your inverter? (Assuming you we're dry camping in this post).

My present CPAP (my third over the last 25 years) runs on either 12 or 120 volts. We leave our inverter on all the time but we have 4 232 amp 6 volt batteries too so capacity for overnight use isn't a problem. Our inverter is 2000 watts and I don't use the humidifier even at home.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote