Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2015, 09:36 AM   #1

Battery Charging Concern!!!!!

Making it short, How can I determine if the converter is good or not? I have a new Marine Deep Cycle battery a 29DC Everstart Marine/ RV battery. I checked electrolytes and added about 8oz water to each cell. I topped off the charge to 15.4 V connected to charger and 12.6V with charger disconnected and battery set for several hours.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2015, 09:59 AM   #2

If the converter is reaching 15.5 volts routinely it is bad. It should reach 14.4 and then drop back to 13.6 for a while until settling at 13.2 as float.

12.6 is a normal resting voltage.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:12 AM   #3

I think we need more info.. How did you top off the charge to 15.4 v? did you use a different charger and now you want to see if your converter will do its job once you hook it up? WHat is your ambient temperature as some chargers will adjust max V.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:53 PM   #4

14.4v is pretty much the magic number for any charger. If your battery is connected to a charger it will likely be between >12.5 to 14.4v. If it is not on a charger it will be be 12.5 or less. If the voltage reading is over 14.4 or under 12 there is a problem.

Turn some lites on and check the voltage level. you will know in a hurry if you have charger output or not.

also, note that the battery needs distilled water.
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:55 PM   #5

btw, 8 oz/cell of refill water is quite a bit. If the battery was charging a long time with that low of water your battery may be shot. (sulfated plates). If this is the case a battery place will be able to load test the battery and advise you.
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:52 PM   #6

"I topped off the charge to 15.4 V connected to charger" At that voltage the charger was probably boiling off the water in the battery and that is why you had to add so much water.

Usually sulfated plates happen when a battery is drained and not recharged for a while. I have a charger with a reconditioning mode which will reverse the sulfated plates condition. So far I have been able to recondition 2 batteries. It takes about 24 hours to do one.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:02 AM   #7

Thanks guys the information you all shared with me is all great and does make a lot of since. I have this camper stored near the location I camp at and while at the storage facility there is no power connected to the camper. The only time the battery is charged is when I relocate camper to the campground and hook up to the site. I usually am at the site for 3 days maybe 4. Now since the problem I had with boil over of the battery I will frequently check the battery for water level and charge condition. Again Thanks Guys.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #8

Do one or both of these:
Get a solar charger.
Take the battery with you and charge it.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:34 PM   #9

How about changing the converter to one with the multi-level charging? That ought to solve the overcharging problem.
Also, have never seen a battery overcharge in just 4 days hooked up to shore power, but guess it is possible with a bad converter.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:30 AM   #10

How can I determine if the converter is good or not?

One simply test is this: When not hooked up to shore power, turn a bunch of lights on for a couple of hours/over night to bring the battery to less than full. Plug the RV into the shore power. If the converter is charging the battery while on shore power, then the battery panel will read full even though the battery is not full. It's reading the charge that the shore power is putting on the battery. If the battery panel shows less than full then the converter is not applying a charge to the battery.

This is how I knew my converter was bad. Hooked to shore power, the battery panel showed the slowly draining battery. The more lights and 12v appliances we used, the more the battery continued to drain even though i was connected to shore power and all the 120V appliances worked fine. When hooked to shore power, the battery testing panel inside your RV should show full even if the battery itself isn't full. it shows full because the shore power is applying a charge >= 12.6v to the battery to charge it.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:03 PM   #11

How can I determine if the converter is good or not?

Unhook the negative battery cable and plug in the AC power cord. If the lights and water pump work, the converter is working.

Before I get flamed, I said converter not Inverter/charger.

Tags
battery, charging