Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #1

Battery/electrical

First TT and not had it long. I noticed the battery would drain if I did not use it after 3 weeks of a month. When I disconnected the cables to remove and recharge the battery, I noticed an arc. After recharging and reconnecting the cables, it arced again. Upon checking, I'm getting an ohm reading across the cables. Everything I know of is turned off inside the TT (with the exception of the main breaker) and operates normally when in use. Advice please on what may be draining the battery.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Any 12V appliances on such as radio clocks, radio memory?

Old 02-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #3

Could be the radio although its turned off. Without testing the ohms, would cutting the main breaker solve the problem or is there a better solution.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #4

Hows bout a 12 volt carbon monoxide detector and/ or a smoke alarm. Any lights on in the storage bays? Hook your meter up and go to your 12 volt fuse panel and pull one fuse at a time until you find the problem.
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #5

Today's radios, TV's, coffee makers, etc have a constant draw on AC voltage. DC voltage side has the same thing for anything in your RV that connects to 12V. For instance, our heat pumps have electronic filter-minders that constantly draw amperage albiet it very small. I once left my CB unit turned on when I parked the truck for a two weeks. Batteries were dead, had to jump-start the truck.

Anyway to your problem. Pull all the 12V fuses in your convertor. Check the battery terminal for that spark, or measure for amp draw. Replace one fuse at a time, and repeat until you find the fused line with the current draw.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:09 AM   #6

Thanks folks
Old 02-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #7

Turning off the main breaker will not help because the breakers are for the 120 volt side of things. You will have to pull the little 12 volt fuses to stop the draw.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #8

Good "battery phantom draw" should get lots of hits and a number of web sites with step by step fix.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

If you have 120-volt electricity available, then hook up a "battery tender" to the battery.
Battery Tender® Junior 12V @ 0.75A - Batterytender.com

If you don't have electricity handy, then I would disconnect the battery cables from the battery while the RV is in storage. Then be sure to fully slow-charge the battery at least once per month.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #10

Your draw is likely coming from a combination of items including smoke/ carbon/ lp detectors, possible radio, tv etc. These may all be normal. You may be able to pull the fuses to eliminate this draw. I've installed a disconnect switch at the battery for when im not using the Rv. Also when my battery is first hooked up I do get a spark as well. Good luck.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt76 View Post
Your draw is likely coming from a combination of items including smoke/ carbon/ lp detectors, possible radio, tv etc. These may all be normal. You may be able to pull the fuses to eliminate this draw. I've installed a disconnect switch at the battery for when im not using the Rv. Also when my battery is first hooked up I do get a spark as well. Good luck.
X2 get you a good battery disconnect and dont look back.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, that will work too. Here's a plain one:
Amazon.com: Blue Sea Systems 6006 m-Series (Mini) Battery Switch Single Circuit ON/OFF: Sports & Outdoors

Regardless of how you disconnect the battery, you still need to plan on charging it once a month or so.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #13

I think the battery disconnect is the best option. Disconnecting will also help to prevent electrical fires or battery explosions.