Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #1

Battery Life

I never seem to get enough from my group 24 or group 27 batteries and am looking to step it up within reason. I'm looking at 2 setups:

1) Two 6 Volt Interstate golf cart batteries in parallel.

2) One group D27M blue top Optima 12 volt battery.

I know Trojan makes a good 6 volt, but Dealer sells Interstate, and this is for a new camper already on order. Quick charging time is also important. Feedback appreciated!
iMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2014, 11:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMaki View Post
I never seem to get enough from my group 24 or group 27 batteries and am looking to step it up within reason. I'm looking at 2 setups:

I know Trojan makes a good 6 volt, but Dealer sells Interstate, and this is for a new camper already on order. Quick charging time is also important. Feedback appreciated!
Two good 6V Deep Cycle Batteries is your best solution.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:37 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMaki View Post

If you put the 6volt GC batteries in parallel, you will have 6 volts, you want to put the 2 6 volts in series for 12 volts.

The 2 GC batteries will give you the most bang for the buck and are true deep cycle. Most gp 24/27 are not.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:51 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
You'll hear a lot of feedback on this - some people prefer one solution while others prefer another. I myself would choose the pair of new 6v Trojans (T-105 is a good choice in my experience) They weigh in at about 125lbs for the pair and are larger form factor than a G24 battery, but the capacity will be significant. Do you know how many amp hours you will be using, even approximately?

If you really only want to do a little better than the dealer supplied HD24-DP battery (or similar) you could improve a bit by going with either the blue top or an SRM__ which has a little more reserve capacity. If you want to get significantly more capacity you'll need to go to a pair of batteries (you can pair up 12v to gain capacity too, just wired differently) The Interstate site has charts for all the different batteries, including the blue top you listed, so you can compare what they have to offer and see how large/heavy they will be.

- Randy
Old 03-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #5

Yes, I meant in series. Now that I know two 6 volts can add up to 125 lbs, I'm inclined to go blue top Optima which is far less weight. I can't afford to add unnecessary tongue weight. I'm already pushing it.
iMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #6

You are going to get less AH from the Blue Top than you did with your group 24, 66ah vs ~75ah.

Optima Marine Battery Blue Top D27M

Going to 2 x 6v's will give you over 200 ah. Seems that is far from "unnecessary."
Old 03-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I myself would choose the pair of new 6v Trojans (T-105 is a good choice in my experience)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:46 PM   #8

1. There's no need for an Optima, they will give you less power per $ than your other options. They are designed for very high vibration environments such as tanks and off road vehicles.

2. Do you have a Costco nearby? Their gc2 golf cart 6v are pretty good for the money.

3. I'd avoid Interstate, last I checked they don't make true deep cycle batteries, they make marine hybrids (which is indicated by the CCA rating on their batteries). A true flooded lead acid will not have a CCA rating. I 've had 2 fail in the first 2 year of ownership despite above average maintenance. Dealers sell them because they are a high margin product (most consumers can't differentiate between a good and bad battery).

4. Trojan makes a good battery but costs more.

Flooded batteries require regular maintenance. Whatever you end up with check the water level often, only top off with distilled or rain water (never tap or regular store bought water), check the specific gravity of each cell at least twice a year, equalize it at least once a year and avoid discharging it below 50% capacity (about 12.0v at the battery with no load applied).

Get the dealer to throw in the boxes, straps and jumper if you bring your own batteries.

2 6v would be wired in series to get 12v, 2 12v would be wired in parallel to increase capacity. Check out battery university dot com.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:52 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Do yourself a favor and read this: HandyBob's Blog « Making off grid RV electrical systems work

Then shop here: Backwoods Solar - Solar, Hydro and Wind Systems for your home. Backwoods Solar

I ended up with two 6v Crown batteries. I use an Iota 55amp 15.5v charger and can charge my batteries in 2 hours or less. I get 4 days out of them when dry camping. That includes watching a bit of TV, heat at night, power awning, power stabilizers, power tongue jack, LED lights, radio etc...
Old 03-23-2014, 09:32 PM   #10

I'll take the minority position on this topic…

I recently left dual GC2 for dual Grp24. Just posted another comment about this so here is be shortened version….

- found I didn't need such a larger Amp Hour Bank
- Too heavy and awkward to continue to pull and replace from my TT -- I store my batteries on a battery tender when not in use and my TT is not kept at home.
- with dual 12V, one fails and you can still operate. With Dual 6V, one fails and you are replacing both.

Dual G24 = ~170AHr
Dual GC2 = ~220AHr

Start by figuring out about much do you need before recharging.
Clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote