Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2015, 10:52 PM   #1

Battery monitor

Just replaced my two marine deep cycle batteries because the old ones died. I charge them with shire power for a couple days and when I unplug the monitor goes from charged (C) to good (G) in just a few minutes. Is that normal? Seems it should stay more fully charged longer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2015, 08:09 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Typically charging batteries from shore power will not fully charge them. Most Converter/Inverter (which ever you have) charging systems are only designed to keep the batteries topped off like a trickle charger. They will eventually fully charge them but requires a long time.

When new uncharged batteries are installed, it is best to use an external good charger to initially fully charge them.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC

Old 06-09-2015, 01:42 PM   #3

Thank you for the info.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:57 PM   #4

Battery

While you are hooked up to shore power the battery indicator will say Charge, when unhooked from shore or Generator power it should say GOOD, meaning it IS charged full up, if it says poor or low, then recharge.
Chrg ONLY means it IS Charging.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:27 AM   #5

I thought that might be the case. Wanted to be sure.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:56 PM   #6

I can not speak for all trailer manufactureres, however my unit is a R-Vision Trail Lite 26 ft trailer and the spec sheet for the system they installed indicated the battery charger is a 3 phase unit that will react to the battery condition and either go to a full charging mode or drop back to a "maintenance" mode to keep the battery up once it is fully charged. I can only assume most manufacturers install converters that use this system as battery charging and maintenance is of maximum importance to RV owners.
Memo: Never let your battery go below a 50% charge level or you will be replacing it very soon!
Old 06-13-2015, 04:21 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Sigh. The old 4 bulb light up monitor is a poor indicator of battery charge level. It only measures voltage - when charging at 13.6V or higher it measures Charged and when you unplug battery voltage drops to 12.8 or so which is Good. Battery has not reduced its ability to deliver current Amps (A), or its capacity, AmpHours (Ah).

The best way to measure battery charge level is to use a shunt and battery meter that measures current drawn ( or replaced when charging) and then it "counts down" battery capacity (Ah) like a fuel gauge.

Brian
BrianGlenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
Sigh. The old 4 bulb light up monitor is a poor indicator of battery charge level. It only measures voltage - when charging at 13.6V or higher it measures Charged and when you unplug battery voltage drops to 12.8 or so which is Good. Battery has not reduced its ability to deliver current Amps (A), or its capacity, AmpHours (Ah).
The best way to measure battery charge level is to use a shunt and battery meter that measures current drawn ( or replaced when charging) and then it "counts down" battery capacity (Ah) like a fuel gauge.
Brian
BrianGlenn
I agree.
IMO using a 4 light voltage monitor to monitor battery voltage is like looking at a tire to check the inflation pressure.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-14-2015, 11:24 AM   #9

Quote:
BATTERY MONITORS: The RV industry has really let us down. First of all, you can’t believe the little “idiot light” panel that came in your rig. That thing is very optimistic and tells you the batteries are full at 13.4 volts, when they are actually nowhere near it (14.4 volts). It works by looking at the voltage present on the wiring, which will be much higher than the battery voltage while charging & much lower than the battery voltage when running loads. If it says your batteries are “full” while you are charging, you could be anywhere from 40% to fully charged. People that run their generator until the idiot light says “full” are only getting their batteries up to about 40 or 50%. They start their evening at the point my system would get down to after a week of rainy days. Last, if the monitor says your batteries are “fair” when you are not running anything, they are DEAD. So, how can you tell if your batteries are really getting fully charged? The most accurate way is to test the battery electrolyte with a hydrometer. A hydrometer with a tube float inside it like the $5 one from an automotive store works just fine. This is messy and not very convenient, but if you want to know for sure this is what you have to do.
https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/

Second best method (and not just for solar):

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...battery-power/

Tags
battery