Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2005, 10:55 AM   #1

After driving about 16 hours my TT battery is dead or nearly so. I started with a fully charged, nearly new bat. I need to stay hooked to truck for lights etc. Also now after 5000 mi trip it won't take a full charge. The battery was less than a year old and hadn't been a problem before. Any ideas???

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2005, 10:55 AM   #2

After driving about 16 hours my TT battery is dead or nearly so. I started with a fully charged, nearly new bat. I need to stay hooked to truck for lights etc. Also now after 5000 mi trip it won't take a full charge. The battery was less than a year old and hadn't been a problem before. Any ideas???

Old 07-21-2005, 01:24 PM   #3

The plug on your tow vehicle may not be charging the battery. Check that there is power to the plug on your truck, some are marked, some not. If you arent able to check it any RV or trailer shop should be able to.

scott
Old 07-21-2005, 01:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

What is running in the TT when you are on the road?
Is your fridge an automatic that seeks power? Some fridges will automatically switch to 12vdc when unplugged from the shore power.
You should not have a dead battery when you are towing. Something is drawing a lot of power to drain a deep cycle battery that quick.
Chet
Old 07-23-2005, 09:33 AM   #5

i agree with cybervet, something is going on in the trailer while you are towing. If the charge wire isn't working and the fridge is on 12v your battery will be dead pretty quick. I bought a rig once with a 3 way fridge, the guy I bought it from had disconnected the 12v, said it kept draining the batteries so I left it that way. John
2003 Dodge Crew Cab, 4X4, Ca. Cummins, Limited slip, 3.73, 48re, T-Rex nerf bars, Rhino Liner, B&W Turnover Ball, B&W Companion, Prodigy. 2005 Wildcat 29BHBP, 1987 HR Aluma-Lite XL 35', 1500W inverter, 3 solar panels, 3 furnaces, 4 Golf Cart Batteri
robertsonthego is offline   Reply With Quote