Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Battery replacement question

I bought a 2005 Fleetwood 270 TT last week, and it appears that both the batteries on it are no good - won't take a charge. The dealer who sold it to me says he didn't check them before he let me take it home, but will still only replace one of them.
Question is, do I really need 2 batteries, as we don't plan to 'boondock' anywhere without shore power any time?
Many thanks.
Mud.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can get by with 1. The question is, are they 6V or 12V?. If 6V and he replaces 1 of them, you still NEED another one.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Mud,

You only need one good battery (as long as it's 12 volts). I don't get the dealer's small thinking though. I had a similar account where they offered to split the small cost... never used them for service after that.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Thanks again, people. There's 2x12V batteries on it, I got Advanced Autoparts to check ' em for me, one's kaput, the other needs a full charge before it can be assessed by them so I'm doing that right now. Hopefully the second one will be OK, the dealer will replace the knackered one & I'll have 2 if I need them.
The RV dealership owner tried to stiff me on the price I'd already reached with the salesperson on the trailer, now he's trying to stiff me over this battery. If he does it again, he's going on every blacklist I can find.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mixing Batteries

You really need to have two identical batteries if you have 2 of them. Hooking a new battery to an old battery is not a good idea either. If you have slides having two batteries is a good idea. Almost mandatory if you have multiple slides. (I know, I know, they sell 'em that way, But it never works well that way!) Muddypaws
Old 01-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #6

Don't boon dock? Then get one battery and move on.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I put two 6 V in my brothers Toy Hauler and he never had a dead battery again. 12 V wont last many years.

Costco has golf cart bats for under 100 bucks a piece.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
So Number 2 was kaput as well. Dealer gave me a new 12V battery. I'll go with that until it starts to fail, then think about 2x6V deep cycle - a lot of people on here say it's proved to be the way to go. Thanks again, y'all.
Mud
Old 01-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #9

One battery will suffice if you do not boonbock/dry-camp overnight in cold weather. The furnace will deplete one battery overnight when dry-camping in freezing weather Personally I see no valid reason to buy 2 6V batteries. Six volt batteries do not multiply the amperage, just voltage. Two 12V batteries double available amperage, not voltage. My 12V batteries usually last 4 years, then fail. The 2nd ones cost $79 ea. in Jun'10.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:53 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

My Keystone Sprinter fifth wheel RV came with one 12 volt battery. It was plenty for my use, but the ordinary car batteries didn't last long if I ever allowed it to discharge - such as running the furnace all night without being plugged in. I replaced it with an expensive 12-volt Optima BlueTop deep cycle marine battery and that was the answer.

I haven't had good luck running two 6-volt batteries wired to act like like one 12- volt. On my John Deere backhoe I gave up and replaced the two 6-volt batteries with two 12-bolt batteries of the same size - wired to act like one 12-volt - and have had no more battery problems.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudmonkey
I bought a 2005 Fleetwood 270 TT last week, and it appears that both the batteries on it are no good - won't take a charge. The dealer who sold it to me says he didn't check them before he let me take it home, but will still only replace one of them.
Question is, do I really need 2 batteries, as we don't plan to 'boondock' anywhere without shore power any time?
Many thanks.
Mud.
Congratulations on your purchase. I am a newbie to the TT community and purchased a used TT from a dealer in Nov 2011.

I didn't have a great experience with my purchase and feel the dealer should have done a walk through with you prior to final sale.

The cheap dealer should make it right and replace the $200.00 dollar battery and maybe you would refer others to his company. I wouldn't buy another piece of equipment from him.

Good luck and happy camping. Mine is sitting in my driveway waiting to be used. It's winterized and I have a few trips set up starting in May.

Tags
battery, replacement