Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2016, 01:58 AM   #15

Jayco Owners Club
Pretty sad. I hate thieves. Nothing like spending your hard earned money on stuff and some ******* comes along and just takes it. The guy down the road from me had his snowmobile stolen right out of the back of his truck the other night while he slept. Ok my rant is done.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2016, 06:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
How about one of those electric fence set ups used for cattle. then set up a camera for a u-tube viral video. Better yet, just fake the electric wire with a sign that says " Hi Voltage Electric Fence".
for years I had wires around the inside of the frames of the garage windows... with the electric fence setup.. and the man door knob.

teenagers can learn things.

and YES the garage did have an alarm system.

Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:05 PM   #17

I saw mention of a dog and I had to mention this in case anyone has the same conversation I did with NJ law enforcement. My nieghbor decided to walk into my back yard and turn off something he fealt was too noisy. When the police arrived I stated the guy was lucky my dog wasnt out in the yard or... well I was stopped and told never say that especially in front of a cop. So I am left wondering what the hell just happened? I certainly hope where you live IF your dog is out and a dummy walks on your property to do what ever that if your dog attacked you would have no issue with getting arrested for your dog doing its job..... my head spins everytime I think about it. my point is if your dog gets a hold of would be thief stealing your batteries will you and your pet be in trouble?
Old 02-20-2016, 10:05 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Not all of us live in NJ.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:35 PM   #19

I've been looking into various options for a few months ... diamond plate tool box, PowerArmour, chains, cable locks, etc...

Next summer the trailer will remain at the storage lot until we need it with the solar panel keeping things charged up. I finally decided to order a pair of B&D RV Battery Locks. Cheaper than the PowerArmour and more secure than chains or a cable lock. A little pricey but it's better than spending half a day bending and drilling metal when I could camping!
Old 02-21-2016, 12:12 AM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I made my battery just hard to steal, not impossible but will take a few minutes and tools to get. No dogs, bombs, or electricity. Most thieves won't spend the time or energy over just grab and cut.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:52 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGuy1966 View Post
I saw mention of a dog and I had to mention this in case anyone has the same conversation I did with NJ law enforcement. My nieghbor decided to walk into my back yard and turn off something he fealt was too noisy. When the police arrived I stated the guy was lucky my dog wasnt out in the yard or... well I was stopped and told never say that especially in front of a cop. So I am left wondering what the hell just happened? I certainly hope where you live IF your dog is out and a dummy walks on your property to do what ever that if your dog attacked you would have no issue with getting arrested for your dog doing its job..... my head spins everytime I think about it. my point is if your dog gets a hold of would be thief stealing your batteries will you and your pet be in trouble?

Here in Kentucky, the police would be more likely to complement you on such a fine dog, and ask you where they could purchase one!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGuy1966 View Post
I live in SoCal on 140 acres. Six acres are flat (my ranch), and the rest is mountain (foothills actually). BLM behind me, State Park to the West, and my neighbor's private cattle ranch (600+ acres) to the East. Most of it fenced (except higher up on the mountain). Signs EVERYWHERE ("private property", "no trespassing", "guard dogs"........usual stuff). Still. Almost every week, either a horse party, or hiking party (sometimes even with 4x4 trucks!) shows up "to look around". We have two German Shepherds, and one Alaskan Malamute, and they are professionally trained. They consider this property to be their property (their home), and they will do anything to protect it.

When I'm around, I usually meet "visitors" with a 12g pump. When I'm working on the property, I ALWAYS carry (we have bear, mountain lion, coyotes.......). I don't kill wild animals, and the mountain lions run when I fire a weapon in the hillside,......but I digress.

Once (about a year ago) my dogs cornered a hiking party of four, right by my barn (20 yards from the main house). They ignored ALL the signs. Dogs did not attack them, they just surrounded them and growled/barked to get my attention. I came and read the hikers "the riot act", and they left.

Next day, I had a Sheriff at the main gate asking me to come down to talk to him. Told me that I will be in BIG trouble, if my dogs attack anyone. I might be in jail, and the dogs put down!! Turns out hikers went to the cops, and complained that my dogs SCARED THEM! (Mod Edit)

And that's ONE (there are MANY) reason why I'm moving out of California. There are still some states in this Union where private property means something, and people have the right to protect and defend it.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:10 AM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The voters have caused the problem with Cal. I don't blame anyone for leaving this mess. I am not going to name names or get political because this is not the place but most people know what the problem is and it's not going to get fixed.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:13 PM   #24
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Exclamation Thread warning

Folks,
This thread has wandered far off the topic of preventing battery theft.

Please get back on-topic...off-topic posts after this warning will simply be removed.

Thanks for understanding.
Steve as iRV2 Staff
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:07 AM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Oops, My Bad. last year I had to purchase a new battery before a big trip. My tongue area has a floor in it so I bent some strap steel over the battery and used long bolts with nylock nuts to secure it. If someone wants to steal the battery the will spend several minutes with the right tools to get it out. Didn't want to spend the bucks for a steel battery box. So far, so good.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:35 PM   #26

I"m thinking 50 amp service and a couple of bare wires. I hate thieves.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:18 PM   #27

I just hooked up my solar charger to keep my battery charged so I hope it doesn't vanish since its about 60 miles from home. I hate thief's..... or thieves, however it is said.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:19 PM   #28
RPr

A box or battery clamp with a lock seems to be the best suggestions. Batteries are stolen because they are easy to sell.

Old, new, good, bad, they will all bring a core scrap price. So to the copper cable.

Tags
battery