Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2019, 04:49 PM   #1

Battery Tender RV

I have a Zinger 19 RDS TT and I am seeking info. on what may be the best battery tender to use on my TT.
Brian S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2019, 05:09 PM   #2

I’ve used battery tender brand with success.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:16 PM   #3

Why do you think you need one?
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:56 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. I am stil researching different brands.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:49 PM   #5

X2 on battery tender.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian S. View Post
Thanks for the info. I am stil researching different brands.
Over the last 30 years I've designed some battery chargers, and reverse engineered others...

The term "battery tender" has become a generic, like Kleenex for facial tissue.

"Battery Tender" is a trademark of Deltran company, and they make some really, really nice maintenance chargers that absolutely will not damage your batteries by overcharging or undercharging.

A while back I had the opportunity to reverse engineer the circuit board of a 3/4amp Battery Tender and was impressed with the design. Start with a true laminated core transformer, a 1,000 volt diode where a 200 volt unit would do, a 100 volt capacitor where a 20 volt would be sufficient, and more over-engineering. A circuit analysis revealed a microprocessor that measures the battery voltage, and won't turn on the charger unless there is 3 to 4 volts of DC - enough voltage to ensure that you're not trying to reverse charge the battery with reversed battery clips. Once the charger is enabled by the correct polarity it slowly ramps the voltage up and then switches to supply just enough current to maintain the charge level (it switches off the charger and measures the voltage periodically).

It's a known fact that your average lead-acid battery loses about 5% a month in self-discharge. The Battery Tender keeps up with that, and can also keep up with some low amperage loads like some LED lighting, the channel memory in the dash AM/FM broadcast radio, a propane / carbon monoxide sniffer, or an alarm system.

Over the last 25 years I have purchased a number of real Battery Tenders... I have seven of the 3/4 amp "Junior" units that live in some grab-and-go 2-way radio base stations (each has a 7ah AGM battery in it), a 3 amp unit that lives connected to my RV house battery, a 1.25 amp unit that lives on the RV chassis battery, a second 3 amp unit lives under the hood of a 4x4 that gets used occasionally.

I chose to use one of my 3 amp units on my RV house battery as it was available and the RV is used as a bedroom a few nights a week - all that is used is an AC powered electric space heater on a time clock and a few 12v LED lights for a hour or two each night. The 3 amp tender can keep up with that usage.

The reason I have so many of the 3/4 amp "Juniors" is because I found a box of them at a electronic surplus house for $5 each (they are normally $25 each). I bought every single one! They were filthy and a few had damaged cords but they all cleaned up nice... The 1.25 amp one I found at a garage sale several years ago for $5, and the 3 amp units were on sale at Wal-Mart one weekend a couple of years ago for $40 (normally $55). Since then Deltran has started making a 4 amp unit you can find for $65.

Note that a 3 amp charger is NOT appropriate on anything less than a 30ah battery, and a 4 amp on a on anything less than a 40ah battery. The data sheet on any flooded lead acid battery says that for maximum life you never charge at over a 10% rate.

Anyway, to provide a useful answer to the original posters question will require asking if the TT will be in storage, or actively used? A 3/4 amp or 1.25 amp unit is appropriate for storage but will not keep up with a dehumidifier or a propane refrigerator, a 4 amp unit might keep up with one of those but not both. If it's going to be in active use (i.e. lived in) then a regular multi-stage converter is more appropriate.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:38 AM   #7

Brian,
Why do you need a battery tender for your TT? You may already have one in your converter/charger.
My Kodiak Cub has one built into the cheap WFCO converter/charger that came with the Cub new. After 4 days in storage the charger will drop the voltage to 13.2 v. That is just what one needs for long term storage and if more is needed, it will up the voltage and charge the batteries.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:25 PM   #8

My TT has a built in charger through the converter. I was considering a secondary charging option if needed.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian S. View Post
My TT has a built in charger through the converter. I was considering a secondary charging option if needed.
Brian,
A battery tender will not significantly charge a 60 amp hour battery let alone a 200 amp hour bank. It will keep the voltage up during long term storage.
Check the specs on your converter/charger or measure the battery terminal voltage after 4 or 5 days of charging. If it drops down to 13.2 (or comes up to 13.2 and stabilizes, you don't need a tender. The converter will do the job.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:43 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To keep my bank of 6V batteries maintained, I installed a Battery Minder brand. Works good to maintain 4 batteries when I'm parked at home. Has deep cycle de-sulfate built in.

Name:   battery maintainer.png
Views: 384
Size:  77.6 KB
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
To keep my bank of 6V batteries maintained, I installed a Battery Minder brand. Works good to maintain 4 batteries when I'm parked at home. Has deep cycle de-sulfate built in.
Attachment 235745
I use the same 2-4-8 A minder for 8- 6V GCs and it does fine.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery