Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-30-2015, 10:30 AM   #1
Battery tender use full time during storage periods?

Do any of you use a battery tender on your trailer batt or boat batts full time when your rig/toys are in storage?

I am concerned to leave it plugged in for months at a time since my storage is an hour away and I can't check on it easily.

2016 3500 6.7L DRW
2010 Starcraft 329BHU TT
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2015, 10:33 AM   #2
I use a Battery Minder every winter. It uses less electricity and does a better job with the batteries than the built in charger. I do the same with my lawn tractor and any cars in the garage when we take an extended trip.

2015 F350 XLT PSD CCSB SRW, Andersen Ultimate hitch
'12 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde Pinbox
1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
Jayco Owners Club
Mine's only 15 minutes from here, but I remove the battery and bring it home with me. I do use a battery tender, but I also check the water monthly. If I couldn't check it at least that often, I wouldn't use a tender. I have maintained large batteries for many years as part of my profession. Boiling a battery down to the plates is not good... boiling it dry is asking for disaster.
Jack and Dee Dee Weatherford, Texas
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 w/CTD 6.7
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH Travel Trailer
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:42 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
I've used battery tenders on my house (AGM) and chassis (wet cell) battery's for at least four years now. I have left them on for periods of at least 6 months or more and have never had any issue by doing so.
Bob Adams
2005 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400hp Allison Xantrex RS2000 Onan Aqua Hot CRV
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:32 PM   #5
I pull the battery and put it in the garage on a battery tender from November to April and never had an issue. My motorcycle is on a tender all year round and 5 years with original battery.
Matt1751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:32 AM   #6
They work just fine on a continuous basis as they are electronically built to only charge as needed. Here's some reading about how they work: Battery Tender - Float / Maintenance Charging. Unfortunately, the two Battery Tender Jr brand units I've had went to charger heaven after several years almost 100% use with them being replaced by a couple Schumacher's.
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:06 PM   #7
Jayco Owners Club
My only objection to the "set it and forget it" answer is that they do sometimes fail and can cause the battery to overcharge and boil dry... and possibly explode...
Jack and Dee Dee Weatherford, Texas
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 w/CTD 6.7
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH Travel Trailer
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:25 PM   #8
The best thing you can do for the battery is disconnect it, charge it, and then keep in inside until you need it again.

Do NOT leave it plugged in.
2013 Winnebago 2301BH-Red
2012 Ram 2500 Megacab HO CTD
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:09 AM   #9
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Perhaps not relevant, since my experience is with motorcycle batteries. But, I've been using Deltran Battery Tenders for a couple of decades now on a variety of different bikes. As I've aged (lol) I've become more and more of a fair weather rider, so my bike is parked for 4 to 5 months over the winter. In my early days (riding since 1963) I got used to buying new batteries every 3 or 4 years, haven't had to buy a new battery in 25 years...

Current bike is 13 years old, and has a very difficult to access battery (30 minutes+ to get to it) and does quite well on the Tender.

As they say, YMMV.
SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:30 AM   #10
My MH is a coachmen and the factory peeps said to not use the on board converter for long term charging when in storage. They suggested to disconnect the neg terminal and put a maintainer on the batteries (after ensuring the batteries are fully charged).
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:52 AM   #11
me too

i use a battery tender for my tractor and my TT

sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:03 PM   #12
I use them on my lawn tractor, side x side (UTV), motorcycles and snowmobiles.
2003 21SW Desert Fox with LED lights, digital Hunter thermostat, 2000 watt inverter and battery monitor by Heart Interface (Xantrex)
Bill111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:20 PM   #13
So they told you not to run you factory converter while storing the trailer.

Not sure which one you have in your trailer. But on mine I have the wifco I think that's how you spell it. And it's a 3 stage charger.

I leave ours plugged in year round and have two six volt battery's that I check once a month and add what is needed. And have yet to fill them in 3 years now. Which is telling me thins are working well.

Also if you are full timing in your trailer guess what your converter will be charging the whole time and you can damage the converter by leaving a terminal disconnect and the trailer plugged in.

So if I were you if you can't stay plugged in move the battery's inside and use a C tech charger if not plug in and check it once month.
2006 chevy colorado xtream.
Holiday Rambler 187qb.
Jason&Shantelle&Bella,the Weimaraner.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:17 PM   #14
If you have a trailer with a multi-stage charger/converter, just leave it plugged in when not used, after checking the battery levels before storage.
I leave my fiver connected all-year when not being used, and the converter, a PDI 9280, keeps everything under control.

'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

battery, full time, storage