Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2006, 11:36 AM   #1

Would like too know what all you 5th wheel and TT owners use for a portable BBQ Grill?

Sure everybody has that special one.Let me know and i will decide which one i want.My old one is History!!

2005 Cardinal 35 CKT
RayRiviere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2006, 11:36 AM   #2

Would like too know what all you 5th wheel and TT owners use for a portable BBQ Grill?

Sure everybody has that special one.Let me know and i will decide which one i want.My old one is History!!

2005 Cardinal 35 CKT
RayRiviere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:47 AM   #3

I use 2 small BBQ grills - a small Weber charcoal grill for occasions when I, my sister and brother-in-law want good steaks, and a Weber Baby Q gas grill for occasions when we have more than 3 of us to feed. Sometimes we use both if we have a big crowd. I prefer the taste of 'charcoaled' food, but the convenience of gas can't be beat. Both Weber grills are well made, small, and do the job.

Annie K. and Sparky the long-haired chihuahua
03 Journey DL 36LD
04 Saturn L300W
Blue Ox and Brake Buddy
Old 02-21-2006, 12:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I use the $20 Sunbeam with the small propane bottles. Open up a new one each season and pick up a case of bottles for $1.49 ea, good to go. Small, compact, cheap, and cooks great.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 01:37 PM   #5

I use a $20.00 one too, but i got a 30lb i take
one of those lantern trees, forget what they are called and attach it to the 30lb canister, then attach it to the grill, then the lantern

Dean
Old 02-21-2006, 07:11 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WaveMaker:
I use a $20.00 one too, but i got a 30lb i take
one of those lantern trees, forget what they are called and attach it to the 30lb canister, then attach it to the grill, then the lantern

Dean </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We also use the $20 gas grill (which ever one we find, usually Sunbeam). We cook on it pretty much everyday. One will last us a year, then we toss it to buy a new one since it costs more to overhaul one than to buy new (I checked). We also take them picniking. We use the little canisters sometimes but usually use the 20lb LP tank. We used to use the lantern pole but ours developed a leaky valve so we had to toss it. We built a connector that would use the same hose extension that we used with the lantern pole. Now I need to make a modification to use the "hand wheel" since now all of my little tanks are like that (I have 5 of the tanks that we rotate out between the RV, big grill, baby grill, LP lantern and LP heater). I sure like those hand wheels, no having to find the wrench to change the tanks out. And the big tanks last so much longer than the canisters.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:13 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RayRiviere:
Would like too know what all you 5th wheel and TT owners use for a portable BBQ Grill? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the Coleman Roadtrip grill and absolutely love it!

1999 Chevy Tahoe K1500 350 w/3:73 gear ratio
AnneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:45 AM   #8

We used to use the $20.00 gas grills, and got sick of havign to replace them yearly. We now have the weber Q, and can say it is the best gas grill I owned. So good, after we got it we got rid of our home grill (Before we went full-time).

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:53 AM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
I have used the RVQ grill that came as an option on our Rockwood 5th wheel and hated it because it smoked so bad. It mounted on the side of the trailer under the awning and gooped up the bottom of the awning from the smoke and grease. We switched to the $20 Sunbeam with the 1lb bottles. It was okay but smoked a lot also, but at least we could get out from under the awning. With the new Wildcat, we now use the Coleman roadtrip grill since we have enough storage in the new trailer. We use the adapter hose with a 20 lb propane bottle. By far it is the best setup over the smaller portable grills.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:39 AM   #10

We use the $20 sunbeam grill with the extend-a-flow plus extension line from our house tanks. The hose is 12' long and we will add another 12' for this up and coming season. I thoroughly scrape and clean our grill after each seaon with a little olive oil rubbed on the inside before storing. Has lasted three years now without problems. I'll take it out and clean it once before our first trip in April and then just do routine scraping and cleaning after each use. The extend-a-flow is nice to have too. No more small bottles and easy access. The one issue i would mention is that the auto switch reg will not all you to use the extend-a-flow once the tank is emptied and switched to the other tank. However, we don't use too much gas in the summer months and I have only had to switch the tanks around on time. We usually get through the summer without any probs. Great purchase for $50.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:43 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
We usually camp where there are no hookups and use 3 propane lanterns around the campsite along with a couple of propane stoves to cook on as well as my little sunbeam to grill on so this is why its better for us to use the little bottles. It'd be a mess trying to run hoses to all the different things. I can see where a lot of you would be better off using the larger tanks for what you are doing. Just goes to show there are lots of different ways and needs depending on your style of camping.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:15 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Depends on what I'm cooking.

I use the Olympian grill for most cooking. I also use a George Foreman Grill.

I have a Coleman [blue] Roadtrip Grill that I'll sell anyone who wants it.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:24 PM   #13

Another vote for the Weber BabyQ..nice little unit and easy to cook/clean.

'05 Fleetwood Mallard 180CK
ThunderRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:01 AM   #14

Anyone ever use one of the Thermos Grill 2 Go grills...they look like they'd be good to use.
We've used the $20 ones; even managed to use it two years in a row before replacing it. Now I've got 3 in the garage and don't remember which is the newest.

Wife and kid maybe friends, maybe pets, maybe not, lost look in face,
rhoevinbt is offline   Reply With Quote