Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
Bearing buddies ?

For years I have owned several boats....all trailered.... One is near 6000 pounds... All trailers have bearing buddies on them... I have towed the big boat a 1000 miles in one trip....What do you think about putting bearing buddies on a travel trailer? Is there a compelling reason why you shouldn't?

Max Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #2

Most boat trailers don't have brakes, so the excess grease that brearing buddies push past the inner seal doesn't contaminate the linings. Brg buddies prime function is to expell water from the brgs, and supply fresh grease before the brgs rust.
Some travel trailer axles have grease fittings , But those are set up to push the grease down the center of the spindle, to the inner bearing,then back through the outer brg. and the excess is wiped off the outer brg, that system doesn't blow any grease past the inner seal , and the fitting is covered by a rubber cap.

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Also, travel trailer axles are not submerged like when you launch a boat. You still need to pull the wheels to inspect the brakes and repack bearings at that time.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When i pulled trailers, they were small (Less than 1 ton) trailers and I buddied the bearings, The only issue is I also had to replace the rear seals on the bearings, The OEM"s could not take the constant pressure.

Beyond that.. I only replaced one bearing set in the what, 25 years.. That was the bearing set that was bad when I bought the trailer.. Never replaced one with a buddy on it.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
I detest them. People do not know that three pumps is enough, if not too much and use them as an excuse to not pull the hubs. I charge extra just to clean up all the extra mess they make by pumping them full. Not to mention they can RUIN entire back plate assemblies and hubs.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Gulf Streamers Club
I have them on all of my trailers. You will have to change the Wheel Seal to one with a spring loaded sealing element. It is just a spring used to put additional pressure on the sealing lip. And as mentioned not to over grease them. Easy does it. On mine I can tell when additional grease is needed as the fitting will not move when you press on it. As I grease the wheel the fitting will move out compressing the internal pressure spring and when it stops moving out you quit immediately or risk blowing the grease seal and loading the brake drum with grease. In case you do not know it, grease and brakes do not play togeather very well. Good luck on your choice.

GSMC(SW) U.S. Navy (RETIRED) 1967-10-03 to 1993-11-01
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser, Cummins B5.9, Allison MD3060, Toad: 2005 Focus ZXW SES Wagon
Sundancer268 is online now   Reply With Quote