Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #1

Bearing life question

In pondering life and the universe, I am wondering if anyone can tell me why bearings on a trailer should be repacked at least annually?

Am curious because in comparison, bearings on cars and trucks can go for many 10s of thousands of miles and are okay. It can't be because the per wheel loading is higher than a car or truck. Is there something that drastically different about trailer bearings?

Need to be able to sleep again at night.....
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
In pondering life and the universe, I am wondering if anyone can tell me why bearings on a trailer should be repacked at least annually?

Am curious because in comparison, bearings on cars and trucks can go for many 10s of thousands of miles and are okay. It can't be because the per wheel loading is higher than a car or truck. Is there something that drastically different about trailer bearings?

Need to be able to sleep again at night.....
Lippert just replaced the bent axles on our TT with heavier ones and the bearings needed to be repacked. There's less than 3000 miles on the TT. Or is that normal when defective or inadequate axles give out?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #3

Another Lippert problem?? Lippert frame/axle/brake problems seem pretty common.... Just got our new trailer 2 weeks ago, and it was only one day old when we discovered that 4 of the 6 the spring hangers on the Lippert frame are bent to one side. Waiting to see what Lippert will do.

Anyway, I would say repacking the bearings anytime they have the brakes apart or axles out would be standard procedure. They are supposed to be redone annually or at 10,000 miles, whichever comes first.

We had the brakes on our last trailer replaced under warranty and they repacked the bearings, which we paid for as it was at about 15 months. We paid for that as they needed repacking anyway. Lippert agreed to warranty the brake repair, but it took over a year to get resolved.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #4

Trailer bearings are built lighter and cheaper. That being said it is more about the miles in my opinion. I hardly ever go more then 50 miles from home and for that reason I get less the 3000 miles a year on mine. I only repack them every few years.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #5

The annual repack is because you can't hear the bearings when they start to fail, so they want you to inspect them regularly. Most of the times bearings will make some serious noise before they start to become dangerous.
bartlettj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
One thing with any trailer wheel bearing is they get a lot more abuse because of some of the "Extreme" side loading they can be subject to from tight turning. If you ever watch the wheels when doing any sharp turning, especially a jack-knife situation, you will see tires scrubbing and folding over, extreme changes in wheel camber just from the pressures exerted.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #7

If an angular contact bearing is packed properly it should run for many many thousands of hours without failure. There is IMHO no, zip, zero nada reasons to replace a perfectly good bearing with a new bearing unless it has become contaminated and damaged.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
If an angular contact bearing is packed properly it should run for many many thousands of hours without failure. There is IMHO no, zip, zero nada reasons to replace a perfectly good bearing with a new bearing unless it has become contaminated and damaged.
That's right......Usually just good to clean, inspect, repack & adjust.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Lippert just replaced the bent axles on our TT with heavier ones and the bearings needed to be repacked. There's less than 3000 miles on the TT. Or is that normal when defective or inadequate axles give out?
If the axles were undersized for the trailer, then the bearings were too. Overloaded bearings will fail quickly.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:53 AM   #10

I've never truly believed annual bearing service is required and I generally do it every two years instead. I think a properly lubed and adjusted bearing set could go many thousands of miles without service, just like the ones we used to have on most of our autos.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:31 AM   #11

iRV2 No Limits Club
As with many thing there are different grades of bearings, nine recognized. The bearings coming from where ever and not graded (all that I have seen) for trailers, lead me to think they probably tend to be at the lower end. Bearing Tolerances and Precision Levels | AST Bearings The other half of the equation is the grease used, synthetic preferred Grease selection One of the other purposes is inspection of brakes. When I do the inspection repacking of the brakes this spring I plan on, if possible replacing the Dexter bearings with, if possible, better quality bearings and seals and using Amsoil NLGI 2 grease.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
wheel bearings

Trailers with out oil bath bearings are packed with grease and all trucks and cars have diffs and are lubed by oil.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pds47 View Post
Trailers with out oil bath bearings are packed with grease and all trucks and cars have diffs and are lubed by oil.
Actually, most cars use greased bearings, but they are usually factory sealed units now. For cars, most of the time the differential is a unit and then connected to the hubs by half shafts, and the non-drive axle doesn't use oil. For trucks, only the rear axle is oiled. The front has stub axles and half shafts with CV joints if 4wd.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlettj View Post
Actually, most cars use greased bearings, but they are usually factory sealed units now. For cars, most of the time the differential is a unit and then connected to the hubs by half shafts, and the non-drive axle doesn't use oil. For trucks, only the rear axle is oiled. The front has stub axles and half shafts with CV joints if 4wd.
Again refer to post #6.......Cars and trucks wheel bearings are not subject to the same abuse of the extreme "Side-Loading" like with trailers.