Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2014, 08:58 PM   #1

Bearing Races

I know bearings have been discussed extensively. Every discussion I have ever read indicated that when a bearing is changed the race should also be changed. (I think this came up within the past couple months)

I also read that a brass drift punch (I think I saw this on Etrailer.com) is the correct tool to get the old race out and put the new one in.

Tried it this weekend and destroyed the brass drift punch and the race did not budge. Worse, the slivers of the brass punch that came off were inside the hub.

My questions for the forum:
1)do you always replace the race when replacing the bearings?
2)how do you get the races out? There was hardly any room to work with on the old race (ie, just a very small bit (maybe 1 or 1.5 mm exposed)

bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
See if this link work for you...

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/outdo...es-213144.html

Bob

IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:13 PM   #3

Thanks, I followed that one closely....senior moments again...
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:32 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Brass is too soft, as you've found.

A hard blunt punch, long enough to get to the other side of the drum comfortably, cover the open area with a rag, then hit it on alternating sides.

You can get a race and seal installer at parts stores for cheap, easiest best way to driven the races and seals in.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:58 AM   #5

Use the straight part of a crow bar and a hammer. They usually pop right out after a good whack.

You should always replace the race when putting in new bearings. I have left the old race in when doing my equipment trailer, but I would not take the chance on a camper that goes hundreds of miles from home
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
I know bearings have been discussed extensively. Every discussion I have ever read indicated that when a bearing is changed the race should also be changed. (I think this came up within the past couple months)

I also read that a brass drift punch (I think I saw this on Etrailer.com) is the correct tool to get the old race out and put the new one in.

Tried it this weekend and destroyed the brass drift punch and the race did not budge. Worse, the slivers of the brass punch that came off were inside the hub.

My questions for the forum:
1)do you always replace the race when replacing the bearings?
2)how do you get the races out? There was hardly any room to work with on the old race (ie, just a very small bit (maybe 1 or 1.5 mm exposed)

Where you replacing the brakes also or just the bearings? It is important when you have your brake drum off to check the armature plate for any groves. If you replace the brakes and the armature plate has groves in it the magnet will not have a true surfaces to contact. No need to replace races when a new complete drum cost about $35.00. I am currently doing some floor repair on my 2007 Adirondack 27FK . When I am done with that project I will be switching from electric brakes to electric over hydraulic disc brakes. They provide a 50% reduction in stopping distance and are cheaper to maintain.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:00 AM   #7

These were worth every penny when i did mne . harborfreight.com/10-piece-bearing-race-and-seal-driver-set-95853.html
Old 10-15-2014, 10:42 AM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
race

S0, who won?
WAGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
These were worth every penny when i did mne . harborfreight.com/10-piece-bearing-race-and-seal-driver-set-95853.html
One Stop Auto Parts has these in their loaner inventory. They don't charge you to use it. You just pay a refundable deposit and bring it back in the same condition. I think O' Reilly Auto parts also has them.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Another way to remove a race is to run a weld bead in the center of the race. It will fall out.