Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2018, 07:23 PM   #29

I repack our FW bearings every year which is about 10k miles and allows me to inspect the brakes, springs and bushings. The bearing grease always looks good and I would be comfortable going 2 years or 20k miles if needed.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2018, 07:25 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
Provided they were packed with grease and installed correctly, probably 20k or more. The problem is, camper assembly lines aren’t that reliable.

I replaced my bearings and races with US Timkens, did a good hand-pack and torqued them correctly the year I bought it new. Knowing that, I won’t worry about repacking them for years. I only put about 1k miles a year on my TT.

IMO, all of the “ez lube” (and similar) systems are junk. Just pack the bearings right and be done.
Torque? I have never seen a tapered roller bearing torques on axles hubs. Preload and back off yes... Unit bearings yes, but I open to some further edumacation.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:04 AM   #31

Timkin recommends 0.001 to 0.005 " end play.

That is after torquing to 200 FT lbs, backing off 1 turn, torquing to 25 FT lbs and then backing off 1/4 turn.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:16 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Timkin recommends 0.001 to 0.005 " end play.

That is after torquing to 200 FT lbs, backing off 1 turn, torquing to 25 FT lbs and then backing off 1/4 turn.
Has anyone ever used a dial indicator for wheel end play? and what happens if the castellated nut doesn't allow that "window" of adjustment/tolerance? To Tight is worse than to loose. Heat is the only real enemy.

Real world = using a pair of channel locs... tighten to stop> spin/move wheel hub while backing off, tighten again>spin/move wheel hub while backing off> back off until some play is observable> inset cotter pin or bend locking tab.

Use a high quality synthetic grease and do not fill the cavity completely. Assuming no seal failure or brake failure ( overheating) the lubricant in your hub will outlast the vehicle.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:26 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavenFla View Post
Torque? I have never seen a tapered roller bearing torques on axles hubs. Preload and back off yes... Unit bearings yes, but I open to some further edumacation.

In the context of tapered roller bearings “torqued “ means exactly what you are saying. I figured people would understand that.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:32 AM   #34

Quote:
Has anyone ever used a dial indicator for wheel end play? and what happens if the castellated nut doesn't allow that "window" of adjustment/tolerance? To Tight is worse than to loose. Heat is the only real enemy.

Real world = using a pair of channel locs... tighten to stop> spin/move wheel hub while backing off, tighten again>spin/move wheel hub while backing off> back off until some play is observable> inset cotter pin or bend locking tab.

Use a high quality synthetic grease and do not fill the cavity completely. Assuming no seal failure or brake failure ( overheating) the lubricant in your hub will outlast the vehicle.

The “real world” scenario you wrote is how I have done it for 40 years.

The whole point of tightening it first is to remove all “slack”, caused by grease and needles/rollers that have not snapped into place yet. Once all slack is removed, backing to the next slot is perfect. The process of “tighten, back off, repeat... “ is the process to remove the slack.

Once one does this a few times you can get the feel for it.

Absolutely correct that too tight is bad. Should be no preload.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:14 AM   #35

I don't use a dial indicator for wheel ends either. Just posting what Timkin recommends.

A lot of folks think there should be a pre-load on tapered bearings. That will cook them.

I have used dial indicators when shiming tapered bearings in large gear box's.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:54 AM   #36

I've occasionally used a dial indicator, generally if it was something new just to get a feel for it. It may be "overkill", but sometimes I am prone to that.

I usually jack the wheels up every year before a trip and spin/pull them to listen for grinding and to determine if the tolerance is still about right. If there is a problem found I would pull the wheel, clean and inspect the bearings, replace if necessary, repack with grease and install using new seals. Otherwise I would pull the wheel and go through the procedure every 4 or 5 years (40-50k miles). That worked well for me, but there are many ways to approach this and if whatever you are doing is working that's all that is necessary.

When repacking after cleaning and inspecting, I force grease into the larger side of the roller cage with my fingers until it comes out the other side. I bought a "bearing packer" years ago, but only used it a few times. Then smear a little on the races and call it done.

There are a few tapered rollers I've seen that are mfg. with a built in tolerance and are just torqued. The front wheel bearings on my Tracker are like that. The front wheel bearings on my neighbors Dodge PU were also like that. Generally, that is not the case.

I would agree with twinboat and others, preloading a bearing that is not designed for that will destroy it. I always go with the tolerances provided in the factory maintenance manual. I also turn the wheel when applying the first torque to be certain the bearings are seated correctly.

I have a friend that I rely on for bearing advise who rebuilds gearboxes for part of his living. He warranties his work and is very particular about where the bearings he uses are made. As already pointed out here, cheapest may not always be best.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:02 AM   #37

Bearings

200 ft lbs., grease lasting the lifetime, spinning the wheel while backing off..... all bad information.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:23 PM   #38

While it may not be true for all applications, my factory shop manual provides a torque value for tightening the wheel while turning it to seat the bearings before backing off and getting the correct bearing tolerance. I don't know what it is without looking, but it is there. I don't think I would turn it while loosening the nut, but it is specified while tightening.

With with the built in tolerance bearings used in the Tracker, I think the torque is around 150 ft lbs, maybe a little less. They're just torqued to that value and that's the end of it. The Dodge was probably more. I didn't care for them much because the inner and outer bearings were very close together. And again, they are an exception and not what is generally used.

When I get a new vehicle, the first thing I do is get a factory shop manual for it. That is what I use for any repairs I make. So far that has worked out well for me.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:10 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
200 ft lbs., grease lasting the lifetime, spinning the wheel while backing off..... all bad information.
Lol
Old 03-19-2018, 03:47 PM   #40

Quote:
Lol

This might help, especially page 56: http://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defau...s.pdf?sfvrsn=2
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:03 PM   #41

Quote:
China is producing some real junk, I have had some bearings that were not ground correctly and started to fail immediately. Get the Timkens.
Lynnmor,

in your photo, it only shows grease packed bearings, where is the failure?

I'm not seeing it

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:07 PM   #42

Quote:

This might help, especially page 56: http://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defau...s.pdf?sfvrsn=2
You should probably read what you post, but because you're smarter than the rest of us.

see page 57.... lol,