Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2010, 10:33 AM   #1

Bed rails for 5th hitch install 4 or 10?

Hi all,

I just purchased a new 3500HD Dually (Duramax) & have to put a new hitch in because I've also recently purchased a heavier 5'er. The installation place asked me if I'd rather have a 4 bolt bed rail system or a 10 bolt. Call me crazy, but 10 grade 8 bolts sounds a lot stronger than 4. What am I missing here? My automatic thought is to go to the 10 bolt, as my new 5'er is heavy trailer (40ft Fuzion) & the hitch is a Reese 20k.

I guess I'm asking for confirmation here from more learned members, but what's the advantage of a 4 bolt setup over of a 10 bolt? Conversely, why WOULDN'T I want to "upgrade" to a 10 bolt install?

Thanks for your advice,
Tim
heypilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2010, 12:13 PM   #2

Hmmmm, just an old farm boy here.

But, I would think that 10 bolts spread out over a longer distance would make for a better pulling platform and less incremental stress on the truck's frame.

Don't know what the $$$ difference would be, but I always go the "extra mile" just so I can sleep at night.
AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #3

My 02 Chevy dually has a Reese 20K hitch and bed rails with 4 bolts holding them to the 4 frame brackets, those have 4 bolts attaching them to the frame. The hitch is very solid when towing our 40' 5er. I'm wondering just where they would place 10 mounting bolts on a truck with 2 frame rails.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:04 AM   #4

Thanks for your answers! I do have one more question though. The place that I have scheduled to install my hitch tomorrow just called and said that the model-specific bed rails I ordered from Reese won't be avail. until the 28th now, but they do have Universal mounting systems I could install tomorrow. What's the difference? Do the Universal kit require that more holes are drilled into my frame? Would I be better off waiting until the 28th for the model specific rails, or would it matter? Thanks again for all the advice!
heypilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #5

I would wait. I had to wait for mine and am very glad I did. The model-specfic brackets don't require any drilling of the frame, the mounting bolts match up with holes already in the frame. I would assume the univ brackets would require drilling of the frame. I personally think the model-specific brackets give a much more stable mount for the rails. As to the 4 vs 10, you've got me. I do have 10 bolts holding the rails. Two on the ends of each rail into the frame brackets and one on each rail in the center through the bed floor, no real strength but I think it might keep things from rattleing.
PS, you might want to move this thread over to the 5th wheel forum rather than the TT forum. Might get more suggestions
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:49 PM   #6

X2 what mhs said. Making more holes in a hydro-formed frame is not a good idea.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote