Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #1

belly pan questions

Have a 83 Holiday Rambler travel trailer and we absolutely love it. However we have a gray water leak that we have been unable to find for 1 year. The underside is enclosed by a belly pan. I'm at the point where I want to rip it out so I can find the source of the leak but being relatively unschooled about these things I'd like to find out what the pourpose of the pan is and would it be ok to pull it off. I know if pulled I will never be able to reinstall it. Any thoughts are appreciated.
easywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #2

Most but not all TT/5er's belly pans are fastened with screws. Also most of the pans are installed in sections. Usually a two person job to remove and re-install. Some older TT had a fiber board belly pan which was anchored up in the frame and has to be cut out
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick answer, I see that the pan is installed in sections but the question I asked was what is the purpose and would it be ok to pull it off. Knowing that the trailer is 28 years old and I thought I had this problem solved 3 times already.
Just trying to find out if it's really stupid to remove it.
easywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:32 PM   #4

The main purpose is to protect the holding tanks from cold temperatures. A secondary purpose is to streamline the underside air flow. If you never plan to camp in freezing weather you may remove the belly pan without any repercussions
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to adehaan86
I have a enclosed belly on my RV as well. Does that automatically mean it can handle colder temps? I have water lines in with the storage compartment. The storage compartment does not have heat going to it.
adehaan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:01 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adehaan86 View Post
I have a enclosed belly on my RV as well. Does that automatically mean it can handle colder temps? I have water lines in with the storage compartment. The storage compartment does not have heat going to it.
I would say no - one would need a heat source in the belly area. Either the tanks or the complete area.
I have seen heated tanks - never owned these - our belly in our new trailer is heated when the main heater is on (Cougar)..
Our last trailer had no heat in the under belly and it did well with temps into the upper 20's.. Never tried to camp any colder.. Boy those floors were cooooool..
dgrant09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrant09 View Post
I would say no - one would need a heat source in the belly area. Either the tanks or the complete area.
I have seen heated tanks - never owned these - our belly in our new trailer is heated when the main heater is on (Cougar)..
Our last trailer had no heat in the under belly and it did well with temps into the upper 20's.. Never tried to camp any colder.. Boy those floors were cooooool..
Do you know on a older model how to tell if the heating heats the tanks?
Old 10-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #8

Heat in the underbelly on an older model would be rare. It is usually accomplished by have an opening in a furnace duct into the inclosed area. More modern/higher end units now have heat pads on the tanks run off electricity.
In either case, no heat unless the furnace is on or hooked to electricity.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #9

Is there a way to check without tearing belly apart? My RV is a higher end RV. Just they went under that's why no one hears of them anymore.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #10

one of the uses of belly pans is to clean up the air going under your vehicle. (turbelence) reducing drag and increasing fuel milage. question is how much does it help?? since you sound like your going to have yours off, if you have time and $, make a run with it on and then with it removed. I know that's a lot of fuel. like i said if you have the time and $. i'm also curious how good they work. semis now have their fuel tanks shrouded, but i haven't seen belly pans on them.
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #11

Come on, just take off the underbelly. It's not nearly as bad as you think. And there is NO way to fix a leak without taking it off if the leak is under there.
Just pull loose screws up to a certain point from one end, and then just fold the wrap under itself until you can get to what you need.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #12

Mine has like 100 staples a section and one piece has three sections.