Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2013, 07:16 AM   #1

Below Freezing Camping

We are planning to go camping next weekend in south Louisiana. Weather forecast is predicting a low of 27 degrees. Down here, we are not used to camping in that cold of weather. I have a small electric heater as well as the camper heater, so I'm not worried about camper pipes, but what do I do to protect the water hose connect to camper. Thanks for the help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cguardia View Post
We are planning to go camping next weekend in south Louisiana. Weather forecast is predicting a low of 27 degrees. Down here, we are not used to camping in that cold of weather. I have a small electric heater as well as the camper heater, so I'm not worried about camper pipes, but what do I do to protect the water hose connect to camper. Thanks for the help.
Fill your tank, then disconnect and drain it.

If you want to keep it hooked up all the time - if the campground even offers water service in low temps - do a google search for heated water hose. You'll find a wide range of options.

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #3

Mid to high 20s is not "that" cold but there are some things to consider. You dont describe what sort of RV you are camping in but here are a few things to think about. You can/should unhook water and sewer pipes for the coldest part of the day, eg, over night and early morning. Heat pumps wont work below mid 30s so you will be on your propane furnance[?????]--electric heaters can also help. Keep internal cabinet doors open where plumbing is contained, close slides if you have trouble keeping camper warm, keep remote thermometer in basement/tank area to monitor temps [light bulb or small heater can help here too, if needed]. Folks with TTs where outside sewer lines are exposed may have more suggestions. Bottom line: mid to high 20s isnt a big problem for most campers, if you are going to only stay a few days, its probably not worth trying to do any major "winterizing" of outside pipes.....stay warm!!!!!--
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Considering where 2Labs hails from, I would say he speaks from experience. Disconnect and drain.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Labs View Post
Fill your tank, then disconnect and drain it.

If you want to keep it hooked up all the time - if the campground even offers water service in low temps - do a google search for heated water hose. You'll find a wide range of options.
!
Fill your fresh water tank, then disconnect and drain the hose, (NOT the tank).
Dump the waste tanks and do the same with the sewer hose.

We have often camped where overnight temps dropped to 20-15 degrees F.
If/when you only see sustained/constant freezing temps for a day or 2 NO extra steps are necessary.

However, a longer stretch, and/or colder temps, may require extra precautions, (light bulbs, electric heaters, etc., (as others have/will suggest).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 11-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #6

We have a 26' 2011 veiwvider. The high temps during the day is going to be in the 50's. I only expect about 4 to 5 hour below 32 and 27 at its lowest for just 1 night.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #7

We are parked in the north end of Alabama for the last 2 weeks and it dips down to 28f a few mornings but not long enough to freeze our line.
At my age I need an early drain so just a flush seem to do it. We just get up after the frost has gone because we heard of it but never saw it.

Wow I guess we will need to bundle up here next week if it gets that cold in Louisiana.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:36 AM   #8

Wouldn't fill water tank. It can freeze. Leave a sink faucet dripping, open grey line (if full hookups) and keep the heat blasting. We camp in South Texas at a deer camp and it can drop into the teens. This is what we do. No issues thus far
Old 11-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy cat View Post
Wouldn't fill water tank. It can freeze. Leave a sink faucet dripping, open grey line (if full hookups) and keep the heat blasting. We camp in South Texas at a deer camp and it can drop into the teens. This is what we do. No issues thus far
Cguardia, (and Mossy cat)
I disagree about the water tank.

If/when you encounter occasional mild freezing outside temps..(15-20 degree F, overnight, or even for a few days), living with the heat ON and using on board water is the most convenient/comfortable.

The water, (and/or waste), tanks will not freeze if/when you see only mild overnight, (or even a few days of), freezing temperatures.

IMO, (and experience), the simple way to protect both the incoming water hose, and the sewer hose from occasional freezing temperatures is to disconnect and drain them.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 11-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #10

I'm from Minot ND. We and our area are in one of the largest oil booms in the nations history. The amount of people living in travel trailers and fifth wheels is amazing. I've lived here all my life and know it can be done but think it would ( or could ) be a rough go of it. But the housing has in no way kept up. Sounds like a regular heat wave you're going through down there lol and don't think I would worry about my TT ( 2013 Gulfstream ) at all had to wait for some service work to get done and water pump was one of the things so didn't want to winterize right away so they could check it kept the heat on took it in and every thing was fine. You will at least be in it to keep up on what's going on. Wish I was going camping lol. Have fun. Gary
Old 11-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #11

Low of 27 and rebound to the 50s. Perfect weather for a camper! I lived in a 5th wheel and you are describing the coldest nights I endured here in North Florida. Like they said, if hooked up, drip water in sink. Air coming from hookup will keep sewer from freezing. Dripping water will keep water supply from freezing during 4-5 hour freeze. Get up and run water for 2 minutes during the freeze if you think hose may freeze while dripping. Then the water in the hose will be ground temp (72 degees) and will take longer to freeze. Take a short length of PVC tube that the hose will fit through, and run the hose though it from the spigot to the camper. Coil the rest of the hose under the camper and cover with tarp or old sheets to capture ground heat. The hose would freeze faster if out from under the trailer.

For a short freeze, the tanks will be warm enough from the daytime air temps and retain enough heat - as heat rises into the underbelly of the trailer and will be enough to keep it from freezing in even longer freezes. Run HOT water into the grey water from the sink or tub if you get worried. Pour some hot water into toilet to raise temps in tanks too.

The electric heater will help keep the propane system from kicking on so often. I heated the upper bedroom of my 5th wheel with the electric heater and turned the rest of the trailer 9central system) down to 65 or less. It actually dips into the teens every few years here, never a problem with a little thought and planning.
NFlcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #12

Thanks to everyone for taking time to respond. Don't think we are going to get much more than about 4 to 5 hours below freezing. I'll just run a drip in the sink and plan to get up once or twice to run the water a few minutes during the night.

Hoping everyone has a happy and safe thanksgiving.