Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #1

Best state or city to buy.

What state is the best place to buy a new or used travel trailer?
hoss1045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #2

I've found the RV shows have some of the best prices. The manufactures will give you a discount and so will the dealers. YMMV
Marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:54 PM   #3

Not sure I understand the question. Why would it make a difference in what state or city you purchase an RV?
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:00 PM   #4

We traveled up and down the west coast for three weeks looking at motorhomes, even attended a couple RV Shows. In the end we found the best pricing right in our back yard at RNR RV in Spokane, much better than the rv shows we went to.
Bruadair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:02 PM   #5

I'm trying to narrow down where to look. If I'm on Craigslist I might pick the wrong city. Just trying to narrow down an area.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:21 PM   #6

I think the OP wants to know if there is a City, State, or area that has a glutton of New or Used travel trailers.

NEW? I don't think a dealer will order more than they believe they can sell, but if something sits on their lot too long..... a deal will be made. A guy at work went browsing at CW and was offered a sale price of $7900 on a popup. He made an off the cuff remark that he would go $5500 cash today, and the manager made it his! Dare them to sell it low! They may bite.

USED? Different ways to score deals:
watch CG bulletin boards for deals from snowbirds or retired persons having to go home and can't take their trailer with them. Someone may have fallen ill or passed away and they want to go home to family and friends and can't take their TT. Then, the 1st person w/ cash scores. See it here in Florida all the time.
Storage lots often have deals. Those on or near CGs may have some in storage that the owner isn't coming back for and may have a sweet deal for.
Craig's list - just beware of scams.
Take the roads less traveled to rural areas looking for empty corner lot or front yard deals.
If you know someone with a TT that hasn't been used in awhile, ask.

Just being in the right place at the right time - like me. My old roommates dad offered his toy hauler to another mutual friend and I was there and said out loud "I wish I could find a deal like this" - the mutual friend failed to come back to do the deal and he asked if I wanted it 4 months later! I paid about 25% or LESS of current retail for it!
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:25 AM   #7

That's correct. Is there a better part of the country to look? Then I will be narrowing it down to the best place to find a "real" cold weather travel trailer.
I believe you need to be in the right place at the right time. Just trying to get help to be in that place.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:25 PM   #8

Also taxes are different from state to state
capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #9

There are a few states with noticeably lower sales tax rates, while others are quite high on sales tax rates. You can do a simple Google search to find that info.

Likewise, a state like Oregon has no sales tax. There may be other concerns about the state in which you plan to license the new-to-you RV but the initial purchase could save a few $$$ without tax.

Which states will have the most units available for purchase? I'd look at the states with the most snowbirds first: Florida, Texas, and Arizona. Pick the state closest to your home base first.

Best of luck.
Rowanova is offline   Reply With Quote