Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2014, 10:21 AM   #1

Best sway control?

I was looking at an old thread that wouldn't let post (too old it said) so I'm gonna post here. I got the Reese dual cam set-up because the friction style wasn't working for beans. Well, it didn't help much. Strange, but when I put new tires on my TV (F250) the sway got much worse (have a thread on this issue too). Then I bought the Reese set-up, not much help. I would like to be able to drive faster than 45 MPH without fear of a gust of wind, an 18 wheeler passing me and things like that. ANY price for a hitch that eliminates sway would be worth it! Was reading about the Hensley, Pullrite & ProPride systems. Suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2014, 01:01 PM   #2

Well, since the sway got much worse with new tires on the back of the F250,
have you considered that it might not be the hitch system that's giving you problems? Could it be that the sway is coming from the F250? On Motor Homes, it is common to put on a Track Bar to eliminate swaying. It generally connects the drive train to the frame of the vehicle with a linkage that resists the sway. You will find some photos/examples by searching the forum.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:24 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Have you had the whole unit weighed, including the hitch weight? Swaying can be caused by unbalanced weight. Before putting more money into it, I'd start with a 'trip ready' weighing.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #4

Best sway control?

I bought some Rancho RS9000 shocks since mine are 93000 miles old. I originally assumed any sway would be from trailer. I'm gonna make sure all is right with my F250 before spending another $2000+ on yet another new hitch. I will say that the sway I'm experiencing feels $ looks like the trailer has a mind of its own. I'll look into the track bar too.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
OK. this is just my opinion. Sway is a result of things not quite right with the rig. You need to try to find the cause and correct them. By adding a bunch of anti-sway devices you are just putting a band aid on a broken bone. Check and look at everything for clues. An F-250 should be able to take a TT up to 70 MPH, not that you would. Good luck and be safe.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #6

What did you put on for tires? Do you have enough weight in front of the axles of the trailer?
Old 09-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #7

We have a ProPride hitch - zero sway, period. Love having that security. Some above and on other thread say it is a bandaid on an underlying problem. I don't know if I'm smart enough to say if that is or isn't accurate, but I'm confident in saying that you'll be buying your last TT hitch if you get a ProPride (or probably Hensley too since they have the same essential design).
PurduePete
Old 09-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
We have a ProPride hitch - zero sway, period. Love having that security. Some above and on other thread say it is a bandaid on an underlying problem. I don't know if I'm smart enough to say if that is or isn't accurate, but I'm confident in saying that you'll be buying your last TT hitch if you get a ProPride (or probably Hensley too since they have the same essential design).
PurduePete
Everything else is a band aid, the Hensley and/or Propride eliminate Sway, period. No more white knuckles on the steering wheel or fear of cross winds or big trucks passing. Been using a Hensley Arrow for almost 20 years. Best modification I ever made, would not pull a TT without it.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:15 PM   #9

Haven't weighed truck or trailer. The tires are LT285/75R16 Bridgestone Duelers. It just seems strange that it towed ok with a cheaper friction style set-up,then when new tires entered the equation everything went out of whack. Oh, and the old tires were same as replacement new ones. Thinking I will take it to my mechanic & have him look at suspension too.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:49 PM   #10

It should be an easy process for your dealer to verify that the truck is set up properly. Have a four wheel alignment done and have them verify that one or more of the new tires are not defective. They could be out of round which could cause you symptoms at speed or they may be out of balance but that shouldn't cause your problem. Sounds like a defective tire or two to me.
The Propride hitch is an improvement on the Hensley and it is very good, that said I don't think most TT owners need to spend that much money to get a perfectly serviceable hitch.
I would recommend the Equal-I-Zer brand as the next best hitch. Built in sway control that works and very highly recommended by owners, I'm one. Other hitch brands with chains or levers that are free to move can by themselves cause sway or not prevent it once started.
This is a sensitive subject so as I said this is my opinion only, everyone is free to use what they want.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:31 AM   #11

After looking on the internet and not having success, I have a question. Do leaf spring vehicles, for the rear end, need a track bar? I can't find one for the rear end of my F250.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
PurduePete
X2
Old 09-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #13

I don't know where you are but you could start with Oemy's website where he shows what they are and how they are made. There are a couple of sponsors on this site who sell/install them. Your tires may also not be stiff enough on lateral loading, causing them to oscillate. One factor might be too low tire pressure in the rear.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:17 PM   #14

See, that's the strange part. With the new tires at 80psi, as per the max load rating, the sway was so bad I couldn't drive over 40mph. Dropped the tires to 40psi and I was able to tow at 60-65mph, though there was still quite a bit of sway going on.