Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
Beware of Scams

I've been looking for a lightweight TT to tow behind my little V6 Ranger and wanted to stay under 2200#. Casita's and Scamps caught my attention and I watched ads for used ones for a couple months. Recently I saw one on Craigslist that caught my eye. A 2012 16' Casita for $3300.
WOW what a deal. Anything that new would fetch a like new price of $15,000+. I emailed the seller and was told that it was a woman that got the trailer in a divorce and wanted it gone. The location on Craigslist was
about 40 miles from me so I told her I wanted to see it. She said that wasn't possible because the trailer was at the shippers and she was 200 miles away. I forgot to mention the price was to include shipping anywhere in the US. Then checking other Craigslist cities I found the same TT (pictures were the same) in two other locations about 500 miles apart. Alarms went off. You know, if it sounds to good to be true it usually is. I noticed other Casita's advertised at $3300. Seems that is a cheap price that many people would fall for. Casita's hold their value and even 25 year olds will sell for over $6,000. I found another one a couple years older (2010) and they wanted a magic $3800. Another to good to be true. I emailed about looking at it and got a similar story. Owner was in the military and shipping out and HAD to get rid of it. Again the price included shipping anywhere in the US and shassam the trailer was at the shippers. I ended up buying a little Cikira 13cc from a dealer and they will go through it and make sure everything works. Not saying there aren't deals on Craigslist or website like it but be careful.
Bottom line is watch out, know TT values and look for tip offs that may get your attention, like shipping included. I would NEVER spend over $500 for
something I couldn't examine beforehand.
I forgot to mention on the first TT I looked for, the seller said that EBAY would monitor the sale and send the invoice, BS. It wouldn't be EBAY it would be PAYPAL if it was ligit unless it was listed on EBAY, which it wasn't.

KT4Wextra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, there are lots of scams out there, you just found a few of them!

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
This scam is rampant across the internet Can't see it but I will ship it. Right, Run the other way!
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
I had a friend that found a house for rent on Craigslist.. He went to the house on the day of move in and found that the house wasn't for rent and the family had lived their for 3 years.

Craigslist is tricky but there can be awesome deals.
JJSureshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
Similar thing happens with motorcycles all the time on Craigslist and e-bay. Buyer beware.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Prior: Jayco Pop Up, Shasta Bunkhouse, Rockwood Pop Up
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote