Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2016, 01:14 AM   #1

Beware of the DEaler/Service Companies

I recently brought my RV in for service and without going into detail yet as I am working on litigation at the moment I wanted to impart some of the things you should do every time you bring your rig in for any service....

Don't trust them ever! there in business to make money and at your expense.

photograph everything no matter how minute, Make backups of the photos and when you pick it up, walk thru the unit with an employee of the place and look for anything out of place. Take pictures of what you find if any and make sure they fix it all at their expense if you find issues.

Light the heater, check the fridge and all the appliances. Some have been known to break items so they can fix them for you...

Video you checking ALL your appliances before you leave it with them.

I am so tired of this industry taking advantage of RV owners and the laws are nowhere near the ones for auto's...

Getting burned seems to be the norm in the world of RV's. It's making me want to just sell the damn thing and stay at home for vacations.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2016, 03:16 AM   #2

Wow! Crap! So sorry for your story bro. I am unsure how people who do this actually sleep at night. How do they feel when they get up to go to work KNOWING that they are scamming people.

That said, I am sure there are reputable people out there. So far I get really good vibes from the dealer I bought from. He has been extremely honest so far (did some background checking), and I can truly see why he's been dealing so long in the industry.

I totally agree with you that there needs to be better lemon laws and accountability at the dealer AND manufacturing side.

I'm just a newbie but I was shocked about some of the practices that were going on and the substandard @##$ that was coming off the production Lines and all people could say to me was... that's what you can expect from xyc. No... that's not acceptable to me because the money I just gave them is perfect to the last penny.. I want and expect everything to be perfect on my TT.

I'm sure others will chime in. Am I trying to create ripples?, no not to cause conflict but to create enough ripples that get us to demand much much more from this industry. It's a massively growing industry and we have to protect it for what it's worth.

TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:41 AM   #3

Wow !
You must be using some real Shylock places, Heck, takes us weeks just to get an appointment to take our TT in for service,they are always backed up for service, so really not to worried about them breaking something to fix it, hell if they did, they would make me bring it back in another 3-4 weeks to fix it

Yes- Camping World Jacksonville FL, we bought our TT at CW, and despite all the bad reports, have been fairly happy with there service. My main criticism is you are just a number waiting in line !!!! But have been treated well once you get to the front.

I was told ( by them ) CW has 3 tiers of service priorities First- bought you unit from their location, Second- bought your unit from a different CW location, and Third- bought your unit from another dearler.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:23 AM   #4

I have found the problem is Bubba. Bubba is the guy they hire to do all of the grunt work. The "Mr. Goodwrench" of the RV dealers, The certified and highly trained employee usually gets stuck with the paperwork and the really difficult situations, while Bubba is told to "go out there and take care of this list the owner wants fixed". Now Bubba means well, but he just doesn't really know what he is doing. This job he just got was only temporary and just so he could get some spending cash. The Mr. Goodwrench was just too busy to help, so Bubba does the best he can do, or maybe not, without caring for the RV.

Having managed two divisions with over 50 vehicles assigned to the divisions, I got to see and hear about all of the service goofs name brand dealers did to our vehicles during servicing. When confronted with the mistake, they routinely blamed the "new guy" or Bubba. Don't get me wrong, the dealership is responsible for the mistakes, but proving they did it is very hard. They are as slippery as the oil they use.

My own story is about a well known diesel manufacturer who after 4 tries just couldn't fix the exhaust brake. Oh they lied and said it was working just fine, and one even went as far as to tell me they "put eyeballs" on it and it is now working perfectly. They lied. I later found a connector that was never connected from the day the engine was born. A different dealer's shop rebuilt the diesel engine while under warrantee. They broke the engine block oil cooler, and tried to blame that on me. They "forgot" to install 2 big bolts that hold the transmission to the engine, and left others finger tight. Oily footprints were left on the carpet, but they said they always used clean booties, so I must have done it.

You have your work cut out for you trying to hold them responsible my friend. I sure hope you succeed and are made whole again.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:20 PM   #5

I have 3 places by me and they are all over 50 miles away and they are all garbage. I have been ripped off by all of them. I will not name names until my attorney says it's ok. Having said that I am just venting at the moment but really want everyone to be careful. I spent less money on my truck when I bought it brand new and Chevy stepped up each time I had a problem so why can't these RV manufacturers and the dealers that support them. I just want my unit to come back fixed and not with extra problems then when it went in and of course they didn't damage it it must have been there before but they didn't see it.... Oh how I prey I have a service call to their shop!

I will end my rant here as I am sure we all have better things to do than read my drivel.

I leave all with this statement, Hold your dealer responsible to deliver the service they promise. And if they see you taking pics when you drop it off they may be more attentive to your service.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:29 AM   #6

Guess I've been lucky. Owned 3 trailers so far and only one needed a very minor water leak fixed. Ended up taking it to an independent RV repair shop because the nearest dealer was 50 miles away.
The OP needs to tell us what problems he had. Why are you so disgruntled?
Old 03-30-2016, 04:54 AM   #7

I am rather new to the RV -slash- camping owner thing... growing up through the years in central PA, visiting a camp has always been a wonderful experience. The comrade friendship, event and the feeling of freedom is something many non-RV people will experience. So low cost, some families camp'd year round. And I don't mean trailer-parks. They were campground.

However, as others have witnessed, those days are gone, or just evaporating. Yes there are still a few nice places left... but if you go outside your box... you'll find a nasty industry. You don't see wealthy folks or politicians (who are usually wealthy) owning RVs. So zero legislation will get considered. It's more convenient for them to do the hotel. Just look at the prices at these so called popular camps... they cost as much as a hotel room for a night. The restrictions are getting as bad as Aushwitz. Security and safety isn't their top priorities. Then you have those few nasty campers that will ruin anyone's weekend because they are true-blue trailer park trash that are rude, mean and love to ruin your day. Then of course you have the thousands of questionable dealers and service folks... like the Internet and social websites... it's where the population is growing... so will the unscrupulous greedy thieves and thugs. From my opinion and prediction, look for it getting worse, not better. And I hope I am wrong.

But look at the car manufacturers in the 80's and early 90's... they sold vehicles that were known to be insufficient and created a parts industry that couldn't keep up... but it took a major bankruptcy to the main ones to clean that up... thanks to the govt handouts. Not sure this govt would support them tho... Sorry to rant too.
GreenFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:14 AM   #8

GreenFeather, I guess things are different out here in the wild west. I see none of what you're talking about. I see plenty of very expensive RVs on the road and in the CGs all the time. I'm in Oregon and there's still plenty of places to go camp and get away from it all.
Last year we saw a couple in a Marathon motorhome at one of our favorite CGs. The CG has no water/elec and except for the pit toilets is about as close to boon docking as you can get. That was the 2nd year in a row we saw them there.
Have you priced a Marathon MH? Over 1.5M
Not sure where you camp but out here in the wild west hotels are way more expensive than 99% of the CG and RV parks.
Oregon has probably the best ST parks in the U.S.
For two years in a row Oregon was voted the best state to camp in by Trailer Life magazine readers.
Sounds like you need to venture out a bit more. There's lots of untamed country out there.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:35 AM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFeather View Post
You don't see wealthy folks or politicians (who are usually wealthy) owning RVs.
Actually one of the US Supreme Court justices DOES own a motorhome. A high end one but still he does own one.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:09 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Actually one of the US Supreme Court justices DOES own a motorhome. A high end one but still he does own one.
And he never asks any questions...until a couple weeks ago. Would love to camp next to him.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:42 AM   #11

Well, I suppose the west is different. And I would love to venture out there in my trailer. I'll start taking donations for the trip asap... lol. I am not sure about the whole east coast, but nearly every place I looked the prices are about the same for a site that has water, electricity and sewer. As much as a motel room a night. Just pick a camp online and price. Then you have many state counties in these east coast states that have their own rules and limitations. Such as any RV must be moved at 14 days of camp. Not important to some folks, but I like rent by the month, not the day when I am local. And that law applies to public and private land. It is just hard to enforce when you get out in the wilderness. And of course as you noted, the high-end of anything is much better in quality control. I wasn't referring to them. The common mass production of RVs is what I am referring to. And supreme court justice don't "make" law. Your elected officials do. Not many of them have the same experience as you and I.
GreenFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:20 AM   #12

Greenfeather, sorry to see your negative experiences, i'm sure we would all would like thing cheaper !! Prices here in Ga hover around $30 a night ( water/electric ) we camp almost exclusively at State or Fed, parks, with our America The Beautiful Pass, 1/2 price at COE parks, Just spent 5 days at Petersburg COE Campgroung, rite on the lake for $13 night.

In 4 years of doing this, we have never had a bad meeting at a campground, sure some people like to stay to them self's more than other, but never a nasty or hostel one !!!

Hope things turn around for Ya !!!
Old 03-31-2016, 09:23 AM   #13

Green Feather, maybe our hotel/motel prices are a lot higher than where you live. I know that along the Oregon coast for instance you wouldn't want to spend much less than $100.00 a night for a room. It's pretty easy to spend north of $200.00 a night at some of the resorts. We used to stay in hotels a lot when we were traveling on our Goldwing. Most everywhere they were $80-120 a night.
That's not to say there isn't some cheaper but those are really just the hotels you'd want to stay at for the night on a road trip.
Most forest service CGs out here are in the $18-22.00 range. ST parks run around $30+/-. RV parks prices are all over the place depending on how nice they are. The ones we stay at run in the $40.00 range.
We don't have the population to land % that you do, so I'm sure that's got a lot to do with the prices and the atmosphere.
If you do ever get the chance to come out west you love it. Mountains, beaches, lakes and rivers. Then there's the eastern Oregon desert. It has it's own virtues.

As to politicians or the super rich not going camping. My guess is that they just don't have the time or for personal reason just don't like the idea of it.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:40 AM   #14

I wasn't knocking all dealers just peeved over how as a customer I have been treated so badly and to have a person who works at the repair facility accuse me of trying to get free work done and that it was already damaged before I brought it to them but they never checked it is insane! The woman is an infant and needs classes in customer service and I have already filed a claim with BBB. I really hate having to deal with nonsense. I just want to go camping with my family.....

Tags
dealer, service