RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-19-2019, 06:12 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Live 2 Camp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 234
Bigfoot and Innovator Travel Trailers

Has anyone here been able to inspect, first hand, a Bigfoot our Innovator travel trailer? We currently own an Excel Limited so the fiberglass construction of the Bigfoot intrigues us but we are nowhere near a dealer for a quick inspection. I also discovered the Innovator today but, same situation, no dealer nearby and I think they are fresh enough that there isn't much on the net to get reviews from.
__________________

__________________
2009 Excel Limited 33TKE
2016 Chevy 3500HD SRW
Live 2 Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2019, 07:13 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
keymastr's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,200
I have not seen the bigfoot in person but the pics I have seen seem sorta old school. And no slides makes it a bit cramped. Then there is the price, North of $50,000 for a basic no slide 25' trailer is WAY too much. Try an Outdoors RV or Arctic Fox. Much more trailer for the money in my opinion.

Couldn't even see pics of Innovator on their own website so not too sure I would go that route until they had a track record.
__________________

__________________
2017 Creekside 23 RBS
2016 F250 Super Crew XLT
Kennewick, WA.
keymastr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:34 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Live 2 Camp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 234
Thank you for the reply.

I know they're expensive but, if expense was my primary concern then I wouldn't own an Excel and Outdoors RV wouldn't currently be at the top of my list. The fiberglass construction is what interests me since it's virtually maintenance free, like our Excel, and the lack of any slides is a plus for what we intend to use it for. My primary interest was the build quality, i.e. suspension, fit & finish, etc.

At the moment the Outdoors 21RD is within $10k of the Bigfoot and initial online inspection shows all it has above the Bigfoot are some suspension upgrades and more ground clearance but falls short with a rubber roof, something I'd prefer not to have in the areas I'm hoping to go. That's why I'm asking about the Bigfoot. I'm hoping to have all the info I can when I travel to look at both models.
Live 2 Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:14 PM   #4
Member
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 45
If expense is not a primary consideration, check out Oliver.
__________________
2017 Creekside 20 FQ
snxwmxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:55 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
CecilD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 380
I owned a 2004 Bigfoot 25' rear queen for 5 seasons (picture in avatar). Don't know what an Innovator is. Bigfoot trailers are different than other fiberglass trailers in that they are 8'-4" wide and can accommodate a walk-around queen and a dry bath. They do have the double clamshell construction so they have a full fiberglass roof and a full fiberglass bottom. 25' model has a 22' box. Extremely well insulated due to no studs or joists as leak points. No worries regarding roof maintenance. They have a lot of large windows so they are bright and airy. Four season trailers with no slides, cozy and secure.

My frame was a full length 2" x 5" x 1/4" thick box section and double stacked over the axles, very stout. Axles were Dexter, my trailer had large cargo carrying capacity. They are heavy, mine towed at 6,000# loaded. Cabinets are of mid to higher quality with a lot of drawers (mine had 17). Disregard Bigfoot if you are over 6'-1" tall. Appliances are standard fare. My trailer cooled to 70 degrees in 100+ temperatures in less than an hour. The trailers are tight, so moisture mitigation is an issue, you will get used to it. They tow like a vault.

Fiberglass molds are expensive so their floor plans have not changed since mine was made and there aren't many choices. They are good looking trailers and buff up to a high shine. Not many out there, we never saw another like ours in a campground. Radius roof does not allow for an electric awning. Extremely good resale value, sold ours for what we paid after 5 seasons. They have a cult following, when we listed ours, got calls from Canada to Florida. Buyer bought it sight unseen and drove a thousand miles to pick it up.

If you are considering 25 foot model, half ton truck is mandatory. They are definitely a few steps above the framed units in structural quality. Maintained correctly, they could be a thirty year trailer. I wish I had ours back.
__________________
2004.5 Ram 3500 2WD DRW
2008 Carriage, tows at 10k#
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:45 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Live 2 Camp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by snxwmxn View Post
If expense is not a primary consideration, check out Oliver.
I'm only seeing 2 floor plans in the double axle. A walk around queen(ish) is a must. At our age, climbing over each other for potty visits is something we don't want to do anymore. lol Otherwise, I like what I see.
Live 2 Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:51 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Live 2 Camp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
I owned a 2004 Bigfoot 25' rear queen for 5 seasons (picture in avatar). Don't know what an Innovator is. Bigfoot trailers are different than other fiberglass trailers in that they are 8'-4" wide and can accommodate a walk-around queen and a dry bath. They do have the double clamshell construction so they have a full fiberglass roof and a full fiberglass bottom. 25' model has a 22' box. Extremely well insulated due to no studs or joists as leak points. No worries regarding roof maintenance. They have a lot of large windows so they are bright and airy. Four season trailers with no slides, cozy and secure.

My frame was a full length 2" x 5" x 1/4" thick box section and double stacked over the axles, very stout. Axles were Dexter, my trailer had large cargo carrying capacity. They are heavy, mine towed at 6,000# loaded. Cabinets are of mid to higher quality with a lot of drawers (mine had 17). Disregard Bigfoot if you are over 6'-1" tall. Appliances are standard fare. My trailer cooled to 70 degrees in 100+ temperatures in less than an hour. The trailers are tight, so moisture mitigation is an issue, you will get used to it. They tow like a vault.

Fiberglass molds are expensive so their floor plans have not changed since mine was made and there aren't many choices. They are good looking trailers and buff up to a high shine. Not many out there, we never saw another like ours in a campground. Radius roof does not allow for an electric awning. Extremely good resale value, sold ours for what we paid after 5 seasons. They have a cult following, when we listed ours, got calls from Canada to Florida. Buyer bought it sight unseen and drove a thousand miles to pick it up.

If you are considering 25 foot model, half ton truck is mandatory. They are definitely a few steps above the framed units in structural quality. Maintained correctly, they could be a thirty year trailer. I wish I had ours back.
Cecil,

What you explain is exactly why I'm interested in the Bigfoot, with the exception of being 6' tall myself. Towing is not an issue with our truck. In fact, I'm trying to steer clear of light weight and ultra light weight trailers. We've been down that road and I'd prefer to have something that's built to last.

I'd like to ask you how you felt about the overall size as far as getting into secluded spots. Did you ever get off the beaten path with yours?
Live 2 Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:59 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
CecilD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live 2 Camp View Post
Cecil,

What you explain is exactly why I'm interested in the Bigfoot, with the exception of being 6' tall myself. Towing is not an issue with our truck. In fact, I'm trying to steer clear of light weight and ultra light weight trailers. We've been down that road and I'd prefer to have something that's built to last.

I'd like to ask you how you felt about the overall size as far as getting into secluded spots. Did you ever get off the beaten path with yours?
I'm a shade over 6 feet and fit fine. Since the design does not allow for ceiling ducting, the air conditioner hung down a little and was in the center of the walk path. I cleared, but feel someone 6'-3" wouldn't. The bed was an RV queen, but still didn't pose a problem.

Off-roading isn't our style. I don't doubt the duty of the trailer, but I feel the 25RQ would have to be lifted for clearance. The 45 gallon tanks were nice for a trailer that size. The man that bought ours was going to use it for his hunting camp. It is wide, like a fiberglass Airstream. The axles have leaf springs (not torsion). I can't recall if the axle tubes were above or below the spring packs.

The shell of the trailer is hand laid fiberglass, like a boat. If you rap on it with your fist, you will hurt your hand. I backed into a tree branch that would have shredded a rubber roof. The trailer broke the branch and left a scuff mark, which I rubbed off with my thumb. Look underneath the trailer, and see how it is finished compared to others. This is what sold me. We never had problems with critters as there are there no intrusion points.

The brochure lists the weight at 4,800#. Ours had a build sheet showing the weight of the options, it weighed close to 5,300# dry. I felt the trailer was aerodynamic with the rounded corners. I averaged 13.6 mpg on trips that included mountains, and would get 15 on flat freeway stretches (04 Cummins).
__________________
2004.5 Ram 3500 2WD DRW
2008 Carriage, tows at 10k#
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:59 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Live 2 Camp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
Off-roading isn't our style. I don't doubt the duty of the trailer, but I feel the 25RQ would have to be lifted for clearance.
I don't intent to off-road but gravel isn't out of the question.

Thank you, Cecil!
Live 2 Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:02 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: South of Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by snxwmxn View Post
If expense is not a primary consideration, check out Oliver.
Oliver is high quality, but narrow (6 ft 6 in vs 8 ft 4 in for Bigfoot) and has a wet bath, a no go for me.

Charles
__________________
SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 523H
Replaced by a '03 Ram 2500 CTD and a Thor 18 ft TT until the unicorns bring me a 25 ft Airstream or Bigfoot.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:14 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Live 2 Camp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Oliver is high quality, but narrow (6 ft 6 in vs 8 ft 4 in for Bigfoot) and has a wet bath, a no go for me.

Charles
A wet bath is too much like our sailboat, something we've had enough of.
Live 2 Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:49 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 902
Lance just introduced at an RV show a new model that is very similar to the 21RD. Itís a non-slide with a rear u shaped dinette. I believe it was called the 1975. They use a PVC roof with etrnabond tape on all seams as Dicor is not compatible. They use Azdel, and 100% rigid foam board. No wood. No fiberglass batt insulation.

If Bigfoot are still built as well as back in the 90ís then they can take some serious abuse. They used them as rentals in Alaska on the military base from MWR. We rented them many times and was always impressed with them.
__________________
Owners of a 2018 Lance 1995
2017 RAM 1500 Longhorn
Former 02 Intrigue by Country Coach
bneukam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:54 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Live 2 Camp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Lance just introduced at an RV show a new model that is very similar to the 21RD. Itís a non-slide with a rear u shaped dinette. I believe it was called the 1975. They use a PVC roof with etrnabond tape on all seams as Dicor is not compatible. They use Azdel, and 100% rigid foam board. No wood. No fiberglass batt insulation.

If Bigfoot are still built as well as back in the 90ís then they can take some serious abuse. They used them as rentals in Alaska on the military base from MWR. We rented them many times and was always impressed with them.
And we only had fold-downs through MWR! Would have enjoyed a hard sided rental.

We looked at Lance and the rubber roof was all they presented us. 🤔
Live 2 Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:41 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 902
Bigfoot and Innovator Travel Trailers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live 2 Camp View Post
And we only had fold-downs through MWR! Would have enjoyed a hard sided rental.



We looked at Lance and the rubber roof was all they presented us.


They started with the PVC roofs in June, 2017. Much easier to keep clean, and not having to deal with the cracking Dicor is a huge plus.
__________________

__________________
Owners of a 2018 Lance 1995
2017 RAM 1500 Longhorn
Former 02 Intrigue by Country Coach
bneukam is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travel Trailers vs 5th Wheel Trailers PaulE253 Travel Trailer Discussion 10 10-03-2016 05:47 PM
Difference between travel trailers and 5th wheels Yogi50 Just Conversation 6 01-25-2016 02:01 PM
Keystone RV is Recalling Travel Trailers and Fifth Wheels DriVer RV Industry Press 0 05-04-2014 12:13 PM
Gulf Breeze and Streamlite travel trailers Iowa camper Travel Trailer Discussion 1 06-01-2007 10:49 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.