Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2010, 01:16 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Smile Bike Rack

I am looking at purchasing one of those bike racks that hooks on to the ladder at the back of a 5th wheel. Does anyone have any experience with those, positive or negative? I want to hang two regular bikes.

Thanks,
Bigredone

bigredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2010, 01:33 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Bigredone,

I had the plastic type that bolts to the ladder. I would not recommend them and I never used them as intended. They are difficult to get any bike to sit just right in the jaws. If you have a hitch behind the 5th (best w/ 2 inch receiver) I would use one of those racks. They are strong, easy to mount and easier on the shoulders & back storing/removing.

Good luck & happy peddling.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #3

A while back one of the insurance companies, CW insurance I think showed how they offered coverage for loss from bikes falling off the ladder types. It was sort of funny, but IMHO I would never consider that type of bike carrier. The ladder is not that strong and all the bouncing can tear the ladder completely off.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
On this topic on other threads both here and in other forums, I've seen few, if any, that have much positive to say about ladder mounts. Even a receiver hitch rack has to be very strong due to the bouncing that goes on at the back of the rig.

I have heard favorable comments about this one: fifthwheel though the rack will not work with all pin boxes (like mine) due to flanges on the sides of the box. We have two recumbent bikes that we sometimes carry on a receiver rack. Besides the bouncing, the bikes can really get dirty unless covered.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:59 PM   #5

I heartily agree with 450Donn. I would not recommend it. I purchased an aluminum rack and had nothing but trouble. Unless you have those bikes strapped down as tight as you can and then some more, the weight of the bikes and the bouncing of the trailer will destroy the rack as it did mine. It broke my ladder. Lifting the bikes up on to the rack was difficult as well. I am looking at a rack that bolts to the bumper and around the spare tire. Has anyone tried that set up before?
Chemtchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:45 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I got one of the ladder bike racks and not very fond of it. I use several bungee to hold the bike on.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Dimes View Post
On this topic on other threads both here and in other forums, I've seen few, if any, that have much positive to say about ladder mounts. Even a receiver hitch rack has to be very strong due to the bouncing that goes on at the back of the rig.

I have heard favorable comments about this one: fifthwheel though the rack will not work with all pin boxes (like mine) due to flanges on the sides of the box. We have two recumbent bikes that we sometimes carry on a receiver rack. Besides the bouncing, the bikes can really get dirty unless covered.
I have one of the racks as per the above.... works well.

On my previous unit I had a 2" receiver welded to the pin box mounted on angle iron. This held my Swagman bike rack. I didn't want to do it on this 5er as I have an air bag pin box.

IMHO: for a pin box mount the TV should be a long box.

Eh!
geeksrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:22 AM   #8

Heartland RV Club
I bought one of those $49.00 ladder racks from Camping world ,first stop and the rack was about to come off. I took the bikes off and put them inside the rv. I now have a Thule rack. Took the other one back
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:10 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd rather use a bolted on bike rack.. I have one of the ladder types but the ladder Damon Put on my motor home.. Not that good.. in fact I ended up removing it and replacing it with a hanger for a real ladder.

If you have a rear bumper on the trailer and if it's substantial, get a good bumper mount bike rack. (Sadly many either do not have a rear bumper or it's a "One bump bumper" (meaning if you bump into say a Popsicle stick.. It's gonna leave a big dent)
Old 03-20-2010, 08:10 PM   #10

I had a well made bike rack that inserted into a 2" receiver. One day I arrived at the campsite but the bikes didn't. The 2" stub was still inserted into the receiver. It snapped at the weld.

When I bought my Montana I found that I had enough room in the basement compartment to remove the front wheel and stand the bikes straight up. I cut a board to fit the front fork and inserted a bolt through a drilled hole and through the fork then tighten a wing nut. Works great on basements that give more height.

Other than that I think I would have a receiver mounted on the front of the TV and carry the bikes in front. That would reduce the bounce.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:24 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Thank you everybody. It seems these ladder bike racks are not a good idea. I will have to evaluate my options. I appreciate the quick replys.
bigredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:18 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here was my solution, just putting bike under the bed or in storage compartment.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f250/daho...ike-64907.html

I also felt the bike racks on the ladder seemed a bit questionable, sometimes wonder if the thing is going to stay on with me using it.
gresults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #13

I have one in my storage shed... It would start to come apart and with my ladder being to one side it left parts of the bike sticking out past the trailer. I used several extra straps and foam to keep them from bouncing a round a lot. The last time i used it was to carry an empty blue boy. I built one that now is mounted to the pin box.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #14

I would agree with all the comments on the problems with the ladder type bike carriers. I just recently had a 2" receiver hitch welded on the back of my 07 Bighorn and love it. It had to be fabricated as I found no ready to mount ones for my 5th wheel. Cost was $350. PS: I just happened to go on the roof and found my ladder had worked loose from the bikes bouncing around on the old ladder carrier. I was lucky.
jdfishing is offline   Reply With Quote