Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2014, 09:02 PM   #1

Bikes on roof racks

I searched the forums but didn't find any discussions on roof racks.

Do any of you use roof racks on your pickups to carry bikes?

I have been to three hitch shops. They would gladly put a receiver on the back of my trailer but would only warrant it for towing the waverunner. They would not warrant it for a bike rack. I have seen enough discussions on this to be convinced that they should go somewhere else.

There are three forward choices that I can see (assuming I like to keep my bed covered for rain and security purposes)

1-Front Hitch: considering it
2-Roof Racks: considering it
3-Over the propane tanks (the Canadian rack was quite slick but I have 1130# tongue weight and would like not to add to it)

Both options are about the same cost so I wanted to get the forum's feedback if any of you are carrying bikes forward of the hitch.

Anyone have words of wisdom or experience with either of these options?

bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2014, 10:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
I searched the forums but didn't find any discussions on roof racks.

Do any of you use roof racks on your pickups to carry bikes?

I have been to three hitch shops. They would gladly put a receiver on the back of my trailer but would only warrant it for towing the waverunner. They would not warrant it for a bike rack. I have seen enough discussions on this to be convinced that they should go somewhere else.

There are three forward choices that I can see (assuming I like to keep my bed covered for rain and security purposes)

1-Front Hitch: considering it
2-Roof Racks: considering it
3-Over the propane tanks (the Canadian rack was quite slick but I have 1130# tongue weight and would like not to add to it)

Both options are about the same cost so I wanted to get the forum's feedback if any of you are carrying bikes forward of the hitch.

Anyone have words of wisdom or experience with either of these options?

A local welding shop welded a 2" receiver to the rear of our trailer, it was welded to the frame as well as the bumper, it also had a set bolt to secure the rack in the receiver. I don't get why a welding shop that installs hitches would not install a receiver for a bike rack but would for towing a wave runner. I initially used a bike rack that held four bikes and the bikes rested on the top tube. I spent a lot of time bungie cording the bikes so they would not move, but they do move & one time a handle bar dented the trailer. I bought a Thule (for two bikes) rack that secures the bikes by the tires not the frame and they do not move. I would use this option if I could on our new trailer. Thule states the rack is not to be used on trailers. There are numerous racks like this to choose from. I have put them in the bed of the pick up, with a camper shell it is a pain to crawl in to release the forks & drag them out. If you can put on & take off the bikes using a roof rack I would pick that as blocking your head lights will reduce your night time visibility & probably illegal in most states.

I have looked at the racks above the propane tanks, but like you I do not want to add any more tongue weight. My stock F250 would require me to use a step ladder to put on & remove bikes from a roof rack, another thing to carry.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've been planning to haul bikes inside my trailer (safe and secure and out of the elements) for quite a while now. From a bike shop I was going to purchase these front fork mounts Low-Rider Truck Bed Mounted 1 Bike Bike Rack 821 Thule - Hitch Warehouse
Remove the kitchen table and mount these to the floor as close to the outside wall as possible. In transit: remove the table, also front tires and fasten bikes to the floor mounts. Tie bikes together with foam padding.
Bikes are out of the elements and safe from being stolen. When we get to our destination we just reverse everything.

Tags
roof