Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #1

Black/Grey Water Disposing while camping

Some of the areas we are going to are pretty primitive but do have dumping stations. Its quite a hassle to pick up the camper and move it to the dump station and reset everything. And looking at some of the portable tanks. Any pros or cons on some of these or other suggestions......

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #2

I use a 35 gallon tote. It is high quality.with a tank rise connection. You havd to be close enough to tow it to the dump station. I was advised to add larger tires and new axle if I had to tow it any distance beyond a few hundred yards.

Get a tote that is at least a few gallons larger than your black tank. To me that is a good rule of thumb.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use a 35 gallon on the gray tank, but do not dump the black tank. Our black tank is large enough that we can make between 10 and 14 days before it is full and not using any other facilities. I wish the gray tank would do so well.

It is a good idea to get one with the largest practical wheels possible and a hitch bar as well.

Ken
Old 08-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #4

I use a 33 gallon tote but only have used it for grey. Instead of towing it behind, I usually use a 12v pump to transfer water out of the grey tank into the tote, and then out of the tote to the dump station. This is much less messy and quite convenient. Often times there isn't enough clearance between the grey water valve and the top of the tote to get it in there if I'm on a sloped site.

To do this, you need:
1.) A 3" sewer line bayonet to garden hose adapter cap.
2.) A short length of female-female hose (grey water totes usually come with one)
3.) A long length of garden hose to reach from the pump to the tank (25-50 foot). Mark it as non-potable.
4.) A 12V power source. I use a gp 24 battery. Jumper cables work too.
5.) A 12V utility water pump like this one:12 Volt Marine Utility Water Pump

To dump: Put the cap on the grey water tank outlet, connect the short hose between it and the pump. Connect the long hose between the pump and the grey water tank. Open grey water dump valve, turn on pump. Fill tank. Pack every thing up and take it to the dump station, then connect the short length of hose between tank and pump, long hose to dump, fire it up and dump. You will need to submerge the hose in the tank to suck out the water.

This system also allows me to use my grey water to sprinkle my lawn at home. I charge the battery by jumpering it to my main batteries when plugged in.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:47 PM   #5

bart,

Real interested in your system and thanks for outlining how you make it work. What kind of battery are you using? Would you happen to have any pictures you could share? I'll bet that 33 gallon tank is pretty heavy (8.4 lb/gal x 33). How do you move it? Thank!

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #6

Bart---
So u must be pumping into the portable tank sitting in your pickup bed. Great idea you need a lil you tube video I bet there are a lot of us interested in your idea. Thanks for sharing...
Old 08-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #7

Yes, the idea is that I put it in the back of my SUV (pickup, whatever your favorite tow vehicle is) and pump the water into it. So I don't have to try to move it by hand when it's full. I was towing it around but I still had to stand it up on end when I was dumping it. Pumping it is so much easier and less likely to spill it.

When I get to the dump station I pump it back out so I don't have to move it. I use a standard group 24 deep cycle battery that I happen to have lying around- I always take an extra battery with me when I camp. The pump doesn't really pull that much power, so you could run it off the vehicle battery or an AGM type motorcycle or lawn tractor battery.

Next time I go camping I'll take some video or at least a few still shots. It's really simple.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #8

Some photos or a lil video would be great. Not having to pull or lift anything is ideal for so many of us 60 plus campers.....
Old 08-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #9

+1 and thanks!

avid
Old 08-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #10

What about using a macerator pump? That way you could leave your tote tank in the back of the truck and not have to tow it over rough roads or a long way to the dump station.

We've only used our tote tank once and I noticed that it seems like it could possibly be hard sometimes to get the tote tank inlet low enough to be able to drain the tanks in your unit.

Is there such a thing as a non-towable tank you could put in your truck that would have enough capacity for 2 or 3 waste tanks? It would have to have a 3" outlet on the side and near the bottom to be able to drain it all out. You could use the macerator pump to pump into the tank and I guess you could also pump it out too.

I see that macerator pumps are down in price now because it's nearing the end of the camping season. I have to wonder if one might even be good for normal use at cgs with full hookups and then you won't have to bother will hoses and fittings. We have over 40' of hose out right now because of the campgrounds outlet location and because we have 3 tanks and two outlet locations. Sometimes it's hard to get your hoses to reach the outlet and sometimes the cg drain location is too high and a pump would make it easy.

We're moving across the street to another cg next week that does not have any sewer hookups and we didn't bring our tote tank. They have a honey wagon that goes around every Friday and we won't have to go more than 4 days on our tanks. If you were there for a while, you could be looking at 7 days between rounds. I just don't like the idea of having to bother with filling our tote tank and having to tow it. It may be a long way from the dump station and the roads look a bit rough. If there was such a thing as a large tank non-towable tank that could go in the back of a truck and if you had a macerator pump, this could make it a lot easier.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
This is our new pillow tank I bought to extend our gray tank and possibly black. We stay in state CGs for almost two months a year, many of which don't have sewer connections on site. We can get over a week on the black but with a decent shower the gray goes quick.

The tank is 25 gallons. I picked the size to fit in the back of the toad. The next size up was too big. The side fitting is a 3/4" NP so I used a 3/4" to garden hose adapter. The top fitting is 1 1/2" I.D rubber so I adapted PVC down to garden hose. Shut offs on both of course.

We already have a macerator pump to dump at the sticks and bricks house so that was done. Haven't tried it yet but the plan is to put the tank in the back of the toad (Geo Tracker) and pump the gray until it is full. Then drive it to the dump station and use a short hose and gravity to empty it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8220118.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	400.6 KB
ID:	44587  
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
This is our new pillow tank
That's a great idea and have not heard of one before for RV black water use. Light weight and also easy to collapse and put away somewhere when not needed.

Where can you get them and what is pricing like? Also wondering if there is a website somewhere with good technical info. Tried a little googling but haven't seen anything with good tech. info yet. I did find one site that showed a whole bunch of sizes including options for dimensions in any given gallon size.

Are these any more difficult to clean and do you have to worry about things like overfilling?
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #13

Definitely interesting, for sure, I would wonder about smell. In the back of a pickup for a fiver no problem. In the back of a toad it could be a concern. Even gray water could get pretty ripe depending on outside temperature. If you start dumping black tank goodies in there you might start generating methane. Hmmm...

avid
Old 08-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Here is where I got the tank from Portable Tanks They are extremely professional and helpful. The cost was $150, not bad if you compare to a "blue thunder". The difference I see is you will need a macerator to pump uphill.

I plan to flush it at the dump station before returning and the shut off valves should solve any odors. I will start a new thread about how it works after the first use but that will not be until the first week of November or so.

EDIT: The toad is a convertible that has either the back seat down or folded up for a cargo space. We rarely have the top on it so it is kind of like a mini pick up truck. If we had a regular car and had to use the trunk or back seat I would have to think twice about the tank.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, water