Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2013, 03:39 AM   #1

Black streaks

I have black streaks on my TT I have used streak remover with no luck. Any advise?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3936286775.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	427.2 KB
ID:	38851  
Mark TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2013, 05:07 AM   #2

I used Rain-x to get some hard to remove from my unit. Seems odd I know but it did the job
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:21 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
magic eraser, go easy will remove them.
try a test spot first with wetted white pad.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #4

I have used a mix of the industrial bleach (stuff from HD or Lowes etc.) and car wash soap to good effect. I used a soft car wash brush to apply and scrub. In some areas of the roof I had to rinse and repeat, the trailer had been sitting under a tree for at least two years. Make sure you rinse well.
Chowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #5

I have found Protectall does an excellent job of removing them. Plus you end up with a wax shine after words.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Black Streaks

The best thing I've ever found for removing black streaks is also so dirt cheap as to be ironic.

After years of using Black Streak Remover at whatever they charge for 16 oz, and having to wear rubber gloves, and getting it on my legs and having to deal with the skin irritation........ Well, you get my drift.

One day I ran out of BSR and tried 'Awesome Orange' from The Dollar Store. Not only did it work it worked 100% better! No more scrubbing, no more gloves, no more chemical reactions.

I always follow up with a good coat of wax. And as you'd expect it cost exactly $1 per 16 oz.

Buy a good spray bottle because while the cleaner is awesome the spray bottles are not. I have yet to have one last until all the solution is used up.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
I use NU-FINISH liquid wax, wipe-on / wipe-off. It works well for fiberglass sides. For the stubborn steaks I've used a cleaner wax and even Soft Scrub. Routine roof washing goes a long ways to minimize streaks and while up there inspect the seams.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #8

I second MuddyPaws, Awsome Orange is by far the best and cheapest for removing black streaks. The magic eraser sponges are alright too. I know of a couple people who swear by Wesley's Bleach White for black streak removal but I just think it''s too harsh for the trailer. I do use Wesley's on my awning and it does a great job.
scottyJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #9
OKE

I use gel-gloss heavy duty exterior RV cleaner & wax from camping world on my bigfoot and it is the best that I have used for black streaks, it also leaves a nice shine.
OKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #10

I second the Gel-Gloss Rv Wash and Wax. Works well on the camper and my cars as well.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #11

We read that LA's Totally Awesome is supposed to be pretty good for black streaks. We went out and bought a couple of bottles at the Dollar Tree for $1 each. It's supposed to be gentle on RVs. Haven't tried it yet as we have a new trailer and sold our old one with the black streaks still on it to my BIL.

LA's Totally Awesome Products
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use Meguire's cleaner wax #50. It is applied like a wax, and requires a little more effort than a wash, but leaves a nice wax coat and gets rid of all the black streaks. For me, bleaching products are too harsh, removing the wax, and dulling the finish.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #13

I use a product called "4 U " sold here in Canada and it's perfect for all washing on trailers and awnings,, Won't harn the decals or the colour either.... dg
Tuggr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Keep it simple and cheap. WD-40 takes it off without any effort. It is cheap, works VERY well, and won't harm any finish.