Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Black Tank

Tank starts to smell when parked for a while and weather warms up. Anyone use a mixture of Clorox and water in the tank?
Thanks
Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2014, 01:46 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I wouldn't. The bleach not only kills bacteria needed for breaking down waste, it can harm gate valve gaskets. If your roof vent is working, there shouldn't be much odor.

Be careful not to have exhaust fan on when flushing, that will draw odors from tank into RV. If your tank hasn't been maintained, you might try the GEO method to clean them.
https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

In addition, always have a couple of gallons of water in the tank to start, use lots of water to flush.

There are a number of products out there that can hasten breakdown or deodorize that are safe for the tank and seals. Don't use a additive based on formaldehyde, it kills bacteria in your tank and in the campground's septic system.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Well I dang sure am not going to get in to that conversation.;o)
Old 05-13-2014, 09:42 PM   #4

Been above 90 for about a week next 2 days 103. went in the trailer thought it was a good idea to put some water in the black tank. Turned on the pump and flushed the toilet for about 3 min and holy ****. did not smell before that but boy it brought out the stink after that. Water evaporation? Not being completely dumped last time?? Help!
Old 05-13-2014, 09:47 PM   #5

Plus how do I check to see if the vent is working?
Trailer has no ladder but not a big deal
Old 05-14-2014, 06:33 AM   #6

You probaby need to give it a good flush. Use a wand if you don't have one of the integrated systems.
If you just dump and park it with the tank empty, it'll be nasty.
I would try one of the chemicals made for black tanks sold at most Walmarts and make sure you put at least 2-3 gallons of water back in there after you dump.

If you think there is some "solid" stuff still in there and you don't want to deal with the wand, pour a 5-10lb bag of ice down the toilet and drive around for a while. This will scrape everything loose and add water to the tank. Then go dump once melted.

I do the wand after 4-5 weekends of camping and fill the tank all the way with water. If you have a clear sewer connector, you will see how much more stuff comes out (a lot).
Old 05-14-2014, 07:11 AM   #7

The clear plastic elbow is a good (gross) thing to have! I was dumping my black, and then running the internal flush system for about a minute each time, then dumping that. I would the. Add 2 gallons of water and a new chem pack. I thought it was good since I never had a smell. During our last camp of 2013 I attached a newly purchased clear elbow, and was amazed how much came out. I ran the internal flush for at least 10 minutes with the black valve open. Every time I thought it was finally done, another big chunk of toilet paper or something else would zoom past that clear elbow. So, if you don't have that kind of system, I would make sure you add plenty of water and/or ice after you dump to help break down stuff as you drive home after each camp. Good luck!
Old 05-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #8

I bought the valtare king back flush. It has the clear elbow and I was surprised to see after 20 mins how much paper can really be stuck in there I don't know how but it does.

Also I added Xtream vents from company called coil n wrap. After installing these I use no chemicals and will have no odors. Just don't leave the fan on when flushing as then you will get a odor.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #9

Good advice above /\

After we dump and flush we add 3-4 gallons of water and drop in 1 or 2 cascade dish washer pods.
This has worked very well so far.

Good luck.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I wouldn't. The bleach not only kills bacteria needed for breaking down waste, it can harm gate valve gaskets. If your roof vent is working, there shouldn't be much odor.
Be careful not to have exhaust fan on when flushing, that will draw odors from tank into RV. If your tank hasn't been maintained, you might try the GEO method to clean them.
https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/
In addition, always have a couple of gallons of water in the tank to start, use lots of water to flush.
There are a number of products out there that can hasten breakdown or deodorize that are safe for the tank and seals. Don't use a additive based on formaldehyde, it kills bacteria in your tank and in the campground's septic system.
BFlinn181
You are right again.

If/when you can smell black, (or gray), tank odor inside a RV, either
something in the waste water system needs to be repaired, (or replaced).
OR you're doing something wrong.

Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
Old 05-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Plus how do I check to see if the vent is working?
Trailer has no ladder but not a big deal
You'll know the vent is working when you dump the tank. If it was blocked, there would be a loud 'sucking' sound from cheater vents under sinks, gurgling in the shower/tub drain, maybe even sidewalls of black tank 'oil-canning' or slow flow of slinky hose.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have a built in tank flusher use it, and get a clear fitting 45, 90 or straight, so you can see what's coming out. Use plenty of water, flush the tank for at least 5 minutes. If don't have a tank flush, either buy wand or make your own. I quit using the tank chemicals about three years ago. I only use cheap liquid laundry detergent and powder dishwasher machine soap at least one cup of each in each tank. Dissolve the powder before putting in. I buy mine at the $.99 store or the Dollar store. Never have any odor anymore. The detergents also keep you level probes clean.
BTW, you can put a small amount of bleach in you tank, 1/2 cup or less just make sure you have plenty of water in the tank. Don't worry about killing the bacteria, it's a holding tank not a septic tank. If the bleach is diluted enough it won't damage the valve seals.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #13

Thanks all. I filled up the tank, Caller a co. to come out and pump it out, Now add 2/3 gal. of water and a couple of the toss in's?
Thanks again
Mike
Old 05-14-2014, 06:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
BFlinn181
You are right again.

If/when you can smell black, (or gray), tank odor inside a RV, either
something in the waste water system needs to be repaired, (or replaced).
OR you're doing something wrong.

Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
"either something in the waste water needs to be repaired,(or replaced )
a bit ambiguous

Tags
tank