Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2016, 04:02 PM   #15

There are several problems with how the black tank is constructed. Most do not have the outlet even with the bottom of the tank. Hard to empty properly. If you have a black tank flush system then you probably have two sprayers that don't do that good of a job. The sensors are internal and prone to not reading properly.
What is the solution? My thoughts are that the tank designers need to place the outlet in the proper location and below the bottom of the tank. The manufacturers need to place two sprayers at the far end of the tank from the outlet and this would help. The sensors need to be on the outside. The most used system by Garnet Industries, their SeeLevel product is great. Why don't all trailers have it? Companies are too cheap.
We have to come up with solutions because the companies are not doing their best for us their customers.
If you go to New Horizons RV you will see how tanks should be designed. The outlet is below the bottom of the tank, there are 9 sprayers in the black and gray tank, the sensors are external and don't fail like ours.
No wonder they are the ONLY 5 Star rated RV manufacturer.
I have been researching 5th wheels trying to decide if I want to make a change from my current trailer. They are more expensive but you get what you pay for. It is the only 5th wheel I would buy.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2016, 06:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV2 View Post
Check the test....
https://youtu.be/iH6acEmqvcw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Happy Campers. Used according to directions, it's not really an expensive option to other toilet chemicals, and those that use it swear by it.
Happy Campers & Healthy Boaters RV and Boat Odor Removal
I agree, I had trouble with my sensors when I first got our coach. Used HC Extreme as directed and problem solved. That was about 5 years ago and been using the regular HC since. Even give the washer in the coach and at home a shot once in a while to freshen them up. Great Product.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:33 PM   #17

OMG loved the video.... what work he went to ..... wow....

So for years we've just added some water.... 3-4 toilets full after we've drained the tank... we've than add 1/2 cup laundry soap and run down the road.... when we dump the tank... we flush when possible until its runs clear....

On our last day out... we dump the tank... and charge it as mentioned above... 20 miles from home we dump it again... did I share we have a clear elbow on the hose so we can see what happens.... often on the last day we've not used, or used the toilet very little... often on the final dumping to elbow if filthy... if the unit is going to storage... we will maybe add back 5-6 toilets of water with the soap or oxy-clean.. for that last 20 mile trip home...

Once we're done dumping we re-charge it... and don't use it until our next trip... Do we have issues with the gauge.. of course... have we had issues with excessive sludge... nope... we've owned this unit 10 years.. and live it 4 months a year..
Old 08-25-2016, 08:44 AM   #18

Never added or needed anything to my black tank. If possible I always use the black tank rinse. Tank never stinks and the level sensors are usually pretty accurate. We dry camp most of the time and tend to dump some dishwater down the black tank to save on grey tank space. We use a small dish pan in the sink. Once full it gets dumped in the black tank. That probably helps to keep things loose down there.
When we hit a dump station I always use the black tank rinse if time allows.
Been doing this procedure for years.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
One of my RVing friends just presented me with an idea he had about sticking black tank indicators. He said he puts 10 pounds of crushed ice in his black tank just before starting his drive. The motion of the trailer scours out the black tank sludge and liquefies everything in there, clearing the float and making his indicator read correctly. He dumps it as soon as he gets to a dump site or to a site with a sewer. Has anyone else done this? Does it work? I have to admit it makes sense.
schrederman
I don't understand the obsession some RVers have for a "clean" black tank, and/or the NEED for "accurate" tank monitors.
My now 20 year old waste tanks have never been "clean"... nor have my tank monitors ever been "accurate".
Mel
'96 Safari, 148k miles
Old 08-25-2016, 10:50 AM   #20

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
schrederman
I don't understand the obsession some RVers have for a "clean" black tank, and/or the NEED for "accurate" tank monitors.
My now 20 year old waste tanks have never been "clean"... nor have my tank monitors ever been "accurate".
Mel
'96 Safari, 148k miles
I guess for me it's an obsession with maintenance. I grew up around aviation, and let's face it... DC-3s built in the 1930s are still out there flying every day... because they have a maintenance schedule. I sometimes wonder why people don't maintain their vehicles, trailers, etc. and gripe when things don't work. I often find things doing maintenance that have been done poorly, and correct them. It may not be broke... but it's about to...... I wouldn't buy a used trailer that didn't show some signs of maintenance by the owner... like some fresh caulk in a few places, etc. The black tank is just part of the whole thing.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:21 AM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There are very few components to the black tank. The tank inlet(s), the tank, the sensors, the outlet, and the valve. What is there to maintain?

Comparing an RV black tank to a vital part of an airplane is like comparing apples to lock washers. Sewage goes in, sewage is held without leaking, sewage comes out only when the valve is opened. What else needs to happen?
Old 08-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #22

It has worked for me...but I added several gallons of water to the ice, plus dawn and a little bleach. I did this when I was still a complete noob and obsessed over the sensor. I've come to realize its not really that necessary...sensors are just not reliable and I can live with that.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:04 PM   #23

Let's do the math - fuzzy math on sensors and black tank levels.

How many ounces does each flush produce? I don't know.

Tank size 40 gallons
Start off with 5 gallons of water in the tank.
You want to dump at 35 gallons
30 gallons or 3,840 ounces to dump size
Each flush is 64 oz of water and 10 oz of solid - total 74 oz.
51 flushes to dump size
1 solid deposit/day
1 liquid deposit/day

Approximately 25 days between dumps

What do you think?
Old 08-25-2016, 01:25 PM   #24

Your are camping solo, and you may be dehydrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
Let's do the math - fuzzy math on sensors and black tank levels.

How many ounces does each flush produce? I don't know.

Tank size 40 gallons
Start off with 5 gallons of water in the tank.
You want to dump at 35 gallons
30 gallons or 3,840 ounces to dump size
Each flush is 64 oz of water and 10 oz of solid - total 74 oz.
51 flushes to dump size
1 solid deposit/day
1 liquid deposit/day

Approximately 25 days between dumps

What do you think?
Old 08-25-2016, 03:13 PM   #25

I bought a used trailer and never had an accurate reading on the black tank. Cleaned it good and added the probes from the link below. Haven't had erroneous reading since (to my knowledge, lol), but also maintain the tank properly.

RV Holding Tank Sensors - Get accurate grey and black holding tank monitor readings
Old 08-26-2016, 08:30 AM   #26

In our four years of trailer ownership these are the things we do.

I bought the valtar king flush as we don't have a black tank flush.

We use the sensors as a guess but we both know how many days we get before full and at worst we just look with a flash light to see where the water level is.

I dump the tanks. Then use the king flush normally two times. Then when the truck and trailer is hooked up I will use the king flush one more time and while doing the back flush just rock the trailer side to side to slosh the water around. Always seem to get a bit more out and that's it water runs clean.

After all that we use theftford think that's the spelling. But there tank smelly stuff. Just add the packet to the toilet let it break down. Scrub the toilet and flush and just let it sit there in the tank.

And yes we normally are at full hook up sites so never in a rush.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:57 AM   #27

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
There are very few components to the black tank. The tank inlet(s), the tank, the sensors, the outlet, and the valve. What is there to maintain?

Comparing an RV black tank to a vital part of an airplane is like comparing apples to lock washers. Sewage goes in, sewage is held without leaking, sewage comes out only when the valve is opened. What else needs to happen?
I guess one day you may be able to answer your own question. I hope it doesn't happen for you, but if you're up to your elbows in excrement because your tank won't drain, etc..... you'll know it did....
Old 08-26-2016, 12:02 PM   #28

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:

I guess one day you may be able to answer your own question. I hope it doesn't happen for you, but if you're up to your elbows in excrement because your tank won't drain, etc..... you'll know it did.... But saying I like to keep my stuff maintained is hardly comparing a black tank to an aileron push rod.

Tags
black tank, tank