Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2016, 01:13 PM   #29

Outdoors RV Owners Club
And no answer to my question, just an ominous "you'll see!" I'm not surprised. Good day, maintenance man.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2016, 01:15 PM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
Let's do the math - fuzzy math on sensors and black tank levels.

How many ounces does each flush produce? I don't know.

Tank size 40 gallons
Start off with 5 gallons of water in the tank.
You want to dump at 35 gallons
30 gallons or 3,840 ounces to dump size
Each flush is 64 oz of water and 10 oz of solid - total 74 oz.
51 flushes to dump size
1 solid deposit/day
1 liquid deposit/day

Approximately 25 days between dumps

What do you think?
I dont know about you but as a senior im up 2 maybe 3 times a night for liquid deposit.
In the morning soon after coffee I have 2 solid deposits.

Now thats just me not counting DW.

I have easily gone 5 days before dump and use the CG some. I do have a 18 gal portable tank to hook to my bicycle for the CG dump station.

2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit 31'
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 03:35 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post
i dont know about you but as a senior im up 2 maybe 3 times a night for liquid deposit.

In the morning soon after coffee i have 2 solid deposits.

Now thats just me not counting dw.

I have easily gone 5 days before dump and use the cg some. I do have a 18 gal portable tank to hook to my bicycle for the cg dump station.

tmi🙉
Old 08-26-2016, 04:28 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post
I dont know about you but as a senior im up 2 maybe 3 times a night for liquid deposit.
In the morning soon after coffee I have 2 solid deposits.

Now thats just me not counting DW.

I have easily gone 5 days before dump and use the CG some. I do have a 18 gal portable tank to hook to my bicycle for the CG dump station.
TMI - see a Dr. about that night thing.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:44 PM   #33

I have not had a sensor work properly in the last 30 years. When the grey tanks are full they back up into th3 sink or shower. When the black is full it will burp back at you when you flush
Old 08-26-2016, 09:36 PM   #34
JFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane wood View Post
I have not had a sensor work properly in the last 30 years. When the grey tanks are full they back up into th3 sink or shower. When the black is full it will burp back at you when you flush
That's the way I see it!
JFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:04 PM   #35

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane wood View Post
Ditto What Shane said!! We have a device that sets on the floor of the shower that alarms when it gets wet telling me it's time to drain.

We have used a bag of ice in the past and have had limited success some times!

Happy Camper in conjunction with Micro Blaze Septic is what we use and are pleased with the results. They seem to break the solids down very well.

I don't use bleach in my septic tank at home nor in my black tank. Don't want to kill all those "munching microbes"!
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:22 PM   #36

I have a 40 gallon drinking water tank. A 35 gallon black tank a 35-gallon grey tank. When water tank goes empty I go dump the trailer of both black and grey water refill the potable water tank Park camper again. No problems I truly don't even look at the gauges. When the water pump burps air out the faucets it's time to dump tanks and refill water tank it's that easy. I do not bleach generally all I do is that a few gallons to the bottom after dumping been doing it for 5 years no problems..... Dusty :-)
Old 08-28-2016, 09:49 AM   #37

Ronhallam look up GEO method online.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:39 PM   #38

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhallam View Post
Ronhallam look up GEO method online.
Clicky: Oemy's Web Site - Tech Tips
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:09 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
There are very few components to the black tank. The tank inlet(s), the tank, the sensors, the outlet, and the valve. What is there to maintain?

Comparing an RV black tank to a vital part of an airplane is like comparing apples to lock washers. Sewage goes in, sewage is held without leaking, sewage comes out only when the valve is opened. What else needs to happen?
I read that differently than you did. I just took at as him saying things last longer and work better if you maintain them. That seems pretty rational... There aren't many parts to a trailer waste system (thankfully). But, there is still maintenance required right? For some it's simply pulling the valve open and dumping. For others, it's more involved.

In my limited trailer, waste system experience... I thought we were doing excellent maintenance. We were using the CIP spray heads, I was running water through the system, leaving a few gallons to slosh around. Tossing in the purple packets... For our trailer, habits...I still ended up with a stinky trailer and a poo pyramid doing that. We fill up the bathtub with water now, and when dumping the tank run pitchers of water through until it is clear. The force of the water from the pitcher, and the volume of water does a good job for us. I don't use the CIP spray heads any more.

Extreme? Not for us. Nor can we do it every time. But, we haven't had a problem since. knock on wood.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:20 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Happy Campers. Used according to directions, it's not really an expensive option to other toilet chemicals, and those that use it swear by it.
Happy Campers & Healthy Boaters RV and Boat Odor Removal

Totally agree...I have been testing this product for 8 months and it has passed my final test of multiple 100 degree days here in Texas. It does the job for my uses (Odor control waste digestion, etc.). One dose per tank. I was using walex for the past 5yrs and now switched.
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:44 PM   #41

I hate to say this but your bathtub does not run through you black tank!!!!
Old 08-30-2016, 08:00 PM   #42
RPr

Yes it worked for us but not for long. The problem is the tank is shallow and the distance between the sensor probes is small. So it does not take much crud to bridge the gap.

A couple of bucks for a bag of ice makes for a cheap experiment. Try it and see, there is never too much water in the black tank when it is time to dump.

Tags
black tank, tank