Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2015, 06:49 AM   #1

Black Tank Flush Port?

For many years, I have been using the Camco reverse flush device to clean my holding tanks. http://www.amazon.com/Camco-39062-Fl.../dp/B000BUQOAE. Normally it takes about 12min to fill the 35gal tank from the outside. I usually fill and drain 3 times and my gauges will zero out. That said, it does take some time and there are opportunities to make mistakes (ie, leaving black valve and flush valve closed..., getting distracted and forgetting it was filling only to have it back up in the outdoor kitchen sink...)

So I purchased this http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40126-To.../dp/B000BUU5TU and it has been sitting there while I contemplate drilling into my black tank. The installation video looks easy enough but lately I have been thinking about the potential downsides and would like your feedback.

My concerns are
  1. If I install it and decide to remove it later, any suggestions on how to plug the hole in the black tank?
  2. Does it work good enough to clear the sensors? The recommended installation has it oriented so it shoots right at the sensor area of the tank.
  3. The external port (that you would hook flush water hose to when cleaning) mount has a bracket to attach to the trailer frame. WHile this is appealing not to have to drill through the camper, the location would be near the existing tank valves which will be lower than the flusher mounted on the tank. I wonder if it will it leak should the the black tank get full (recommended install calls for the flusher to be mounted 2" from the top of the tank)
  4. If there is excess water in the hose that connects the external port to the tank flusher port and it freezes will it burst? and subsequently leak...
  5. My TT has a sealed underbelly. One more opening on the black tank along with the hose connection would be two more opportunities for moisture (stinky or not) to be introduced in the sealed area.
Really, I am not trying to talk myself out of installing it just need to hear some of your experiences. I look forward to hooking it up, opening the black valve and letting it run until the sensors are zeroed! BTW, the reviews on Amazon were good for the device.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2015, 07:08 AM   #2

1. Just put a garden hose cap on it.
2. It probably will work.
3. I'd go even more than 2' even if it means up thru the floor and out the side.
4. Water will freeze, just push anti-freeze thru it to winterize.
5. They aren't sealed anyway, use expanding foam at hose.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:18 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
My Black Tank has this type of back flush system.

http://beamalarm.com/foretravel-link...fuss-flush.pdf

It is sold by Lakeview RV Supply in Sugarland TX.

The Vacuum Breaker / Check Valve is a key component to preventing any problems with the system.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:34 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
bjlakatos,

Is your toilet directly over the top of your black tank? If so, occasionally just use one of those flush wands down the flapper hole. You shoudn't have to use it very often if you only dump when the tank is full. If you have elbows to the tank and toilet is not mounted directly on top then you may want to consider installing your flusher.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
bjlakatos,

Is your toilet directly over the top of your black tank? If so, occasionally just use one of those flush wands down the flapper hole. You shoudn't have to use it very often if you only dump when the tank is full. If you have elbows to the tank and toilet is not mounted directly on top then you may want to consider installing your flusher.
Yes it is mounted directly over the tank. I tried the wand last month for the first time and was impressed how well it works--good and fast.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:08 AM   #6

reviews

looks like 29 of 35 were less than 5 *

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank