Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2010, 08:25 PM   #1

Black tank flush system?

About to purchase our first RV of any kind. I am looking at two similar models of TT. One has a "Black tank flush" and the other does not. Different sales people for each trailer so of course they contradict each other saying needed/not needed.

Can this be added to the one that does not have it if its a big help to have? If so any idea of cost?

2010 Models of TT I am looking at:
Keystone Sprinter 311BHS - has the flush syst.
Keystone Sprinter Select 31BH - Does not have the flush syst.

Thank you for any help on this!

Mark

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2010, 08:41 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Dr4Film
It is generally more cost effective to get it beforehand installed at the factory than having it installed later. A black tank flushing system can't be all that expensive it would seem.

If it were me, I would put more weight into what the floor-plan is, the amount of inside and outside storage, amenities, etc. in making a decision as to what RV would fit my needs, not whether it had a BTFS.

Most lower end RV's don't even come with them. I use mine and it works very effectively, but if the tank is used correctly and maintained correctly, generally you really don't need one.

My neighbor has a new 5ver purchased last November with a BTFS but he refuses to use and maintain his tanks correctly so he now has tank level indicator problems. I will try to help correct his problem and educate him a little in proper use and care, but sometimes people just don't get it.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:38 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
The black tank flush kits can be put on aftermarket & cost around $25-30 & your time to install. If you have it done at the dealer, plan on adding $65 per hour (minimum 1 hr charge) for a tech to install it. Here's a YouTube video on installing a kit:

YouTube - RV Black Water Holding Tank Flush Kit

However, don't bother adding one if the unit you like doesn't have one. It's an extra "fluff accessory" that isn't missed if it isn't there. As long as you use plenty of water when you flush, always keep your dump valves shut until your tanks are full (prevents solid waste build up on tank bottoms) & properly service your holding tanks, that's all that's necessary to keep them in working order.

Since this is your first RV purchase, have you decided on what you will be using to tow the Sprinter? A properly sized tow vehicle for your TT is very important to the towing/stopping safety of rv-ing.

BTW, I see this is your 1st post. Welcome to iRV2.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & Jeep Liberty Limited, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:13 AM   #4

Good info. Ok so not all that necessary. Makes since to just use lots of water and let the takes fill for a full clean out when you do dump.

Yes the floor plan is dead on for us. The two TT have the exact same floor plan, just one has all the power niceties and an out door kitchen. I just have a hard time springing for the extra $5k when its nailing the main needs with the less expensive model. (the floor plan)

The nice one does also have an "enclosed" under belly. But just don't see enough gain for that in the price.

I have the tow rig covered with my 2x4 2000 F250 Crew Cab diesel that is built for towing. I have been using it for the last 10 years towing 10k car trailers to events my small company sponsors.

Lori thank you for the link on the install. Yes installing before its ever used would be the best way to go! Thank you for the welcome.

Mark
Old 02-01-2010, 12:21 AM   #5

So in the video they talk about taking a hose inside the bathroom to put water down into the black tank. If this works to flush it out, then no problem as this floor plan has a 2nd door right into the bathroom. I can easy with no issues take a hose in there.

Thank YOU!

Mark
Old 02-01-2010, 08:41 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Adding a flush kit is very easy.. how much it's worth I don't know

You can also stick a good flush wand down the toilet to flush it.> The RV-Twister I think is a good one.. The Valterra Master Blaster *Is* a good one (Before I ever saw one I buile one for myself along the same lines) and it's way better than the best installed flusher I've ever used.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by helocat View Post
The nice one does also have an "enclosed" under belly. But just don't see enough gain for that in the price.

A thought...If you camp in cold weather (at/near freezing or below) for extended periods, an enclosed underbelly will allow the heat from your ducted furnace to keep your water pipes from freezing & it also protects the underside components on your TT from being exposed to road debris/dirt. However, the panels also limit your access to such components, in case repairs are needed. It is nice to have, but, again, something you'll have to decide for yourself if worth having.

Lori-
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Old 02-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #8

Good point. We would like to use the trailer in cold weather. (We live in Oregon) I would guess the enclosed under belly would also keep the trailer warmer when in use as well. I need to look at how they "enclose" the area. I wonder if its a sheet of plastic or wood? Seams like water would still get in that space when towing in wet weather, would guess they just put a few drain holes in it?

Mark
helocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
It won't be wood. If it's like what was on our previous 5-r, it'll be a stiff vinyl, usually several sections, overlapping & rivited at the edges.

Lori-