Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2005, 05:27 PM   #1

Here's one I've not seen discussed before...

While on our maiden voyage this week, we hauled the TT up to the dump station for a mid-week emptying. First time dumping for us. We had carefully read the manual on what to do. DH uncapped the drain line and what happens? Black tank waste pours out all over!

After much swearing, DH pushes the black tank valve back into place and flushes out the gray tank, washes his hands and brings the TT back to our site.

Thinking that the black tank valve had been left open at the dealers when we picked up, he made sure that the valve was in the 'closed' position before returning to camp.

So, as we are ready to leave the campground, we pull up to the dump station again and begin to uncork the sewer line and we have a repeat performance of the first dumping!

Now, amidst LOTS of swearing, we're wondering if this sounds like a defective black tank valve or if there is something that we missed entirely? Has this ever happened to anyone else?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2005, 05:27 PM   #2

Here's one I've not seen discussed before...

While on our maiden voyage this week, we hauled the TT up to the dump station for a mid-week emptying. First time dumping for us. We had carefully read the manual on what to do. DH uncapped the drain line and what happens? Black tank waste pours out all over!

After much swearing, DH pushes the black tank valve back into place and flushes out the gray tank, washes his hands and brings the TT back to our site.

Thinking that the black tank valve had been left open at the dealers when we picked up, he made sure that the valve was in the 'closed' position before returning to camp.

So, as we are ready to leave the campground, we pull up to the dump station again and begin to uncork the sewer line and we have a repeat performance of the first dumping!

Now, amidst LOTS of swearing, we're wondering if this sounds like a defective black tank valve or if there is something that we missed entirely? Has this ever happened to anyone else?
Old 08-21-2005, 06:41 PM   #3

....Once in the winter of 1975? IIRC. NO more ,I have an Electric Toilet ...so now I empty the ash tray every week....geofkaye
Old 08-21-2005, 07:42 PM   #4

Sounds like what happened to me. The seal leaks on the black valve and the area between the valve and the cap fills with (mainly) fluid from the black tank. I always hold the drain hose under the opening when I open the valve. Had the seal replaced at the dealer , but still leaks! Even sitting in driveway. One of those things!
Relayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 09:11 PM   #5

Sounds like some kids up to No good!

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:39 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
The first thing you do when dumping is to put the drain hose on the tube. It is normal to expect some fluids to run out when uncapping. I always remove the cap in a way that my hands are not in the way of the liquid, then put the hose on. If you have large amounts of liquid or worse, then you have a defective valve somewhere.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:11 AM   #7

Are you certain the valves were closed BEFORE removing the cap?

Did the entire contents run out?

If the valves were closed, and some small amount ran out, I'd say either someone opened then closed the valves with the cap on, or your valves are leaking. Mine don't leak a drop so I wouldn't accept any amout of leakage.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:38 AM   #8

Wait a minute. Is this the Beans from PUX?
Old 08-22-2005, 09:01 AM   #9

It's us! We Beans, from PUX (and still over there too....can't leave the founding family, you know!). We finally went over to the dark side and you know...it's GREAT over here! LOL!!!

Anyway, the valve was closed (or so we thought) on the first dumping event and all but about half a bucket full poured out when we uncapped the drain. We didn't think of positioning the hose to catch anything coming out---we didn't anticipate that anything would come out until we opened the valve! So, lesson number 1: never assume anything.

On the second dump all but about 2 buckets poured out and we were certain that the valve was closed this time. Darrell made a point of making sure it was closed after the first dump. That's why we think it's a faulty valve, but I wanted to make sure we hadn't missed anything before we call the dealer and let them know that they'll be fixing this problem immediately! I'd hate to raise a fuss about having it done in time for our next trip (this coming weekend) and then find out that we missed a step in the dumping/emptying process.

So far I'm still leaning in the direction of a valve problem.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:31 PM   #10

Well there aren't too many steps so it would be hard to miss one. I always hold the hose under the cap 'cause I always have some fluid there plus I wear disposable nitrile gloves whenever handling the waste equipment. Are you getting solids also? And the handle is pushed in correct? If so then it doesn't sound like you even have the valve, just the body. Make sure the tank is as empty as you can get it before you take it in as most service departments will refuse to touch it if it isn't. Good luck. John
2003 Dodge Crew Cab, 4X4, Ca. Cummins, Limited slip, 3.73, 48re, T-Rex nerf bars, Rhino Liner, B&W Turnover Ball, B&W Companion, Prodigy. 2005 Wildcat 29BHBP, 1987 HR Aluma-Lite XL 35', 1500W inverter, 3 solar panels, 3 furnaces, 4 Golf Cart Batteri
robertsonthego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:36 PM   #11

Just had another thought, are you sure there aren't 3 valves? The black tank is a big pipe, 2", the gray are only 1 1/4". My trailer has 3 drain valves. Could you have missed one valve and it is open? Good Luck. John
2003 Dodge Crew Cab, 4X4, Ca. Cummins, Limited slip, 3.73, 48re, T-Rex nerf bars, Rhino Liner, B&W Turnover Ball, B&W Companion, Prodigy. 2005 Wildcat 29BHBP, 1987 HR Aluma-Lite XL 35', 1500W inverter, 3 solar panels, 3 furnaces, 4 Golf Cart Batteri
robertsonthego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:02 PM   #12

I believe there are only the two valves but I'll double-check to be sure.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:34 PM   #13
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I had this problem on a brand new rig once, it turned out that the manufacturer had cut the slide valve cable too short causing the valve not to be fully closed when the T handle was pushed in. Required a new cable assembly to repair.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:44 AM   #14

That was my next thought. Are the handles on your valves attatched directly to your valves, or are they in a remote location? If remote, the cable or should I say rod, may not be attatched or may be too short to fully close the valve.