Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #1

Question Black Tank Maintenance

How do you clean and maintain your black tank? How often? What do you use? Etc...

Tanks,,, I mean Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I have been using one cup of Borax and one to two cups of Fab powdered laundry detergent (Cheap at Walmart, only $2.97). We dump every 3-4 weeks. When we dump we use the tank flush and rinse till the water runs clear. I haven't used any RV deodorant all summer and that is including the 90+ temps we have been experiencing. I am really pleased with the results. I had more odor with the deodorant last summer any time the heat would go past 85* and we also experienced strong odors when driving. Not the case this year.

BransGram08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Plain water and lots of it. Occasion bag of ice when driving and empty.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Two items every RV owner should have is a black/grey water tank rinser, Tornado Permanent Tank Rinser - Product - Camping World and a water heater tank rinser, Water Heater Tank Rinser - Camco RV 11691 - Water Heaters - Camping World. Using sufficient water when utilizing the toilet will normally result in lower maintenance and less need for chemicals. We use the black tank rinser about every other time when we dump the tank. The wand will help keep calcium/other mineral deposits from entering your water lines a possibly slowing the water flow. About 2-3 times per year on the wand coupled with a water/bleach mix and a white vinegar/water mix about 1-2 times yrly keeps everything running smooth.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Try using the GEO method.A cup of Calgon (Calgon Water Softener- Calgon prevents limescale build-up). A cup of detergent and pleanty of water. in this instance the Calgon keeps stuff from aculmalating in tank, on walls and in pipes. My tank indicators never gave a correct reading when using the so-called "Must Use" camping chemicals. After using the GEO method I get good readings instead of False high or full . And as another benefit.... The GEO Method is Cheaper than the camping stores chemicals. And it is safe. Google GEO METHOD and then try it for yourself. good flushing ed
Old 07-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I have used the Calgon Water Softner and RV chemicals but sensors will eventually not work like they should. Softner is hard to find sometimes and is costly. Have not used yet, but several people on other posts have used Pine Power(buy at Dollar General Stores) (NOT PINESOL) and is about $2.00 for 48 onces. Suppose to clean tank and sensors and make the tank smell like pines!
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
We just use lots of water since we do not drycamp and when I getting ready to go home I"ll use the tank rinse to flush it clean. I will then put a generous amount of Dawn dish washing soap and about 10 gallons of water in. When I get home I"ll drain the tank and rince again then put a couple gallons of fresh water in the tank so I will not get any dry buildup. I only used tank chemicals the first time out before the expearenced RVers told me I was waisting my money. I have been camping for about 6 years and never had any oder problems plus my tank level sencers still work with no problems.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
Try using the GEO method.A cup of Calgon (Calgon Water Softener- Calgon prevents limescale build-up). A cup of detergent and pleanty of water. in this instance the Calgon keeps stuff from aculmalating in tank, on walls and in pipes. My tank indicators never gave a correct reading when using the so-called "Must Use" camping chemicals. After using the GEO method I get good readings instead of False high or full . And as another benefit.... The GEO Method is Cheaper than the camping stores chemicals. And it is safe. Google GEO METHOD and then try it for yourself. good flushing ed

haha.. I just got through Googling the net for info and came across two sites explaining the GEO Method.

It makes sense. I especially agree with the agitation that traveling with a half tank would provide.

Thanks...
Old 07-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutrell01 View Post
I have used the Calgon Water Softner and RV chemicals but sensors will eventually not work like they should.
Why would sensors be affected by water softeners?

Salts??
Old 07-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
Two items every RV owner should have is a black/grey water tank rinser, Tornado Permanent Tank Rinser - Product - Camping World
Which wall of the tank, black or gray, do you install that on?
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #11

Your get the best coverage toward the top of the short side.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Your get the best coverage toward the top of the short side.
Cool, thanks! I'll have to look into that sometime down the road.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We never "clean" the tank except flush it after camping season with water. We use a bacteria method for solids break down and odor control in season. All chemicals do is kill bacteria, which defeats the whole process.
clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #14
CD

Another important thing, after draining black tank add 5/7 gals. water. I started this when we were dry camping and got more days before having to dump. Doesn't make sense but it works. I think it helps keep solids floating when there isn't much water in the tank. I use about 3 gals in the slidein camper which has a smaller tank.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, tank