Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2014, 03:48 PM   #1

Black tank valve with approx 36" handle

Looking at my black tank valve, its mounted near the tank inside the enclosed belly. There is insulation on the floor of the belly cover. the valve is located right about in the center of the trailer width. It has a long release handle that reaches out to where the sewer hose connects. I am guessing it may be 36-48"ish long.

Is this a specialized valve? I can not figure out how to remove the long rod that moves the valve when you push/pull the handle. Further, I have not seen replacement valves that come with varying length handles. What am I missing?
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #2

It utilizes a long cable like a bicycle shifter cable. Keep it lubricated often to prevent corrosion and associated movement problems. I use a spray lub designed for such cables, it runs along the cable/wire inside the sheath by capillary action.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:57 PM   #3

Most valves have a threaded rod with the handle threaded on it. remove the handle. On your current valve you may need a couple pairs of pliers and a 7/16 wrench if it has a lock nut which it should have. Hold the tube with a pair of pliers and loosen the lock nut then use both sets of pliers to remove the long extension it is usually a long tube with the inside threaded to screw on the valve once the handle is removed. Once you get it apart you will see how simple it is.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
Most valves have a threaded rod with the handle threaded on it. remove the handle. On your current valve you may need a couple pairs of pliers and a 7/16 wrench if it has a lock nut which it should have. Hold the tube with a pair of pliers and loosen the lock nut then use both sets of pliers to remove the long extension it is usually a long tube with the inside threaded to screw on the valve once the handle is removed. Once you get it apart you will see how simple it is.
Thanks. I will take another look at it to see if there is a lock nut. Btw, the handle and rod freely spin on the valve frame.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:32 PM   #5

Yes the whole thing will just spin which is why you will need pliers or vise grips. If you take a new valve and remove the handle you will see it has a threaded end.The long rod is just a piece of tubing that is threaded on the inside to thread on the valve rod.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
Yes the whole thing will just spin which is why you will need pliers or vise grips. If you take a new valve and remove the handle you will see it has a threaded end.The long rod is just a piece of tubing that is threaded on the inside to thread on the valve rod.
I took another look and did see where the threaded extension rod connects to the valve release rod. You were correct, thanks.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:53 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I just replaced my black tank valve... they used some pretty poorly designed valves with blunt fairly straight across blades. They essentially pack toilet paper into the sleeve causing it to eventually fail to seal. I replaced it with a blade type rounded edge valve... much better.

They are standard, the rod is connected where the standard handle would be threaded on. I had to cut an access panel under the location of the valves. Unfortunately Outdoors RV designed theirs assuming you'll never replace it and have it wedged between couplings with almost no pipe to give you any way to get slack. I had to push the pipe into the tank which required the use of a tie down strap to the axle.

What a pain.

Tags
tank