Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2015, 03:21 PM   #1

Black Tank Wash - Leaking under RV?

I've noticed that when I'm running my black tank wash lately, it seems to start dripping (water appears clean) on top of the rear tire from a location nearly flush with the backside of the fender? I checked and see no evidence of leaks inside the unit. No weird smells either. The valves are always open when I'm running the wash. I can't see any of the pipes under the camper with the sealed belly. I'm not sure how to chase this down or how to find the route the pipes take for the tank wash. Has anyone experienced this before? You can still hear the wash working in the tank and water continues to flow out of the sewer pipe while it runs.

Joe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2015, 03:32 PM   #2

Check under the sink in the bathroom. There is typically a vacuum relief valve that ties into the black tank flush to prevent water from being siphoned from the black tank into the connection for the flush. They fail quite commonly. It will have a line coming in and one going out at 90 degrees to each other with a vent cap on top.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:34 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X2. I agree

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:12 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Make sure you are not using to high a water pressure on the tank flush. 45psi is what is needed for pressure. To high a pressure can push water out of the lines and cause leaks. Make sure you are using a good pressure regulator.
niceguy9605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:26 PM   #5

I'll check under the sink, but it's on the opposite side of the camper?

I have a pressure regulator on my hose and the campground had one on the hose bib.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:13 AM   #6

The flusher kit is pretty straight forward. I suspect the most difficult part of the job will be peeling back the underbelly cover to find the leak. You will likely have to remove/replace the insulation (or let it dry out then reinstall it). The leak is likely coming from one of the connectors or the caulking that seals the flusher attachment on the tank.

Here is Camco's version of the product. I suspect you have something similar. http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40126-To.../dp/B000BUU5TU

I found these instructions on the web that show how the installation goes so you can see where it might be leaking. Installing a Tornado Tank Cleaner

Regarding the underbelly--I peeled enough back and sliced (box knife) through where I thought the problem area might be. I cut a hole in the underbelly material once I was sure where I needed access. After the repair, I bought a new piece of corrugated plastic material (yard sign from Home depot) and screwed it in to the existing underbelly to cover the hole. I got the idea from the access points created by the mfgr for the manual slide crank locations under the trailer.
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:17 AM   #7

Brian,

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look like you say and make a cut so I have access. It makes sense that it's leaking under the unit and not inside the unit. I'll post back what I find.

Joe
Old 06-10-2015, 09:01 PM   #8

I looked at the area again where I see the leak. It's approximately level with the top of the I-beam frame, at the wall of the unit. So if you see in the picture where the blank wash connection is, then to the left of that right about at the cut for the slide wall, is the place the leak seems to appear. Looks like it's above or level with the floor. So now I'm wondering how this can be? If I opened up the underbelly, I'm not sure I'd find the leak there. Could it floor up hill so to speak?

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1433987869373.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	96881  
Old 06-11-2015, 03:13 AM   #9

I'd say the early post had the answer - leaking vacuum breaker valve or fitting in the flush line.

Normally this is located well above the tank so it usually above the floor in a cupboard or behind a sink somewhere. Best not to start hacking the underfloor up until you have checked the valve.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:59 AM   #10

Tony,

I'll have a look at that today. The bathroom, kitchen and shower are all on the other side of the camper (passenger side). If that valve fails, will the leak appear right at that valve?

Joe
Old 06-11-2015, 10:24 PM   #11

So assuming the leak is in the flusher assy it will be outside the camper but inside the underbelly cover.

Understand the leak is likely NOT where the water is coming out of the underbelly. You are likely seeing where the leaking water was 1)allowed to pool on the underbelly material and 2) where the underbelly has a drain hole.

I was uncomfortable slicing my underbelly open too. I want to my storage place, found another camper similarly configured that did not have an enclosed underbelly, you can see how things look before cutting into it. Bonus if you find an example with a flusher kit
Old 06-11-2015, 10:34 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
My hunch is that you may have forgotten to winterize that little piece of hose and water froze in it over the winter. It's prolly just a split at a low place in the hose (not a leak from the connection at the tank). M2C, \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
My hunch is that you may have forgotten to winterize that little piece of hose and water froze in it over the winter. It's prolly just a split at a low place in the hose (not a leak from the connection at the tank). M2C, \ken
That is exactly mine is still in the pkg. I worry about it freezing...paranoid I know

All honesty, the trailer I had with a exposed bottom & flusher did just fine.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:38 PM   #14

On a brand new unit! (ours) I emptied the black tank for the first time. The clear fitting on the sewer solutions showed no flow so I attached a hose to the black tank flush and turned on the water. Just seconds later water was pouring into the bay through a hole where the bathroom water lines ran. In the 5th wheel, there is an access panel in the bedroom on the wet wall to the bathroom.... The heavy duty brass vacuum valve was defective. Once replaced! tank flush worked just fine.

DBL Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, tank