Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I'm not sure there is a valid "technical" reason for wanting to flush and clean my black tank when putting it in storage. It just makes me feel better to know that things aren't settling to the bottom and "getting hard" in there.

Rick
Oh no, we definitely sanitize everything for storage. I meant between trips. For example, we had an empty tank this past weekend before camping but only got about 1/4 tank full. We leave it that way until it reaches 1/2 tank or more...then dump on the way out. Been doing it that way without any problems. I've seen people dump every time even with less than 1/4 tank full.

al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2014, 06:33 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
Oh no, we definitely sanitize everything for storage. I meant between trips. For example, we had an empty tank this past weekend before camping but only got about 1/4 tank full. We leave it that way until it reaches 1/2 tank or more...then dump on the way out. Been doing it that way without any problems. I've seen people dump every time even with less than 1/4 tank full.
Sounds like your approach works great for you.

I won't dump either at 1/4 tank... but rather I'll add water via the San T Flush system and fill the tank >1/2 before dumping and rinsing.

Safe Travels.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:12 PM   #17

I'm new to having a camper with a toilet, but I did a lot of research before buying mine and I have heard several people say they had success with Rid-X in their tanks. JUST a teaspoon or two (depending on their tank size) for the black tank and a teaspoon for the grey tank since that tends to stink too.

Like I said, I'm new and have yet to test this theory. But the articles I read made sense, some of the chemicals you dump down there end up killing the bacteria that break down stuff and end up making it stink worse.

I'll have to post again once I've given it a try!
Old 04-25-2014, 05:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by unhipdotcom View Post
I'm new to having a camper with a toilet, but I did a lot of research before buying mine and I have heard several people say they had success with Rid-X in their tanks. JUST a teaspoon or two (depending on their tank size) for the black tank and a teaspoon for the grey tank since that tends to stink too.

Like I said, I'm new and have yet to test this theory. But the articles I read made sense, some of the chemicals you dump down there end up killing the bacteria that break down stuff and end up making it stink worse.

I'll have to post again once I've given it a try!
Cool, another member from Columbus.

IMO, it depends on the toilet and sewer system. I had a TT that you could smell the tank every time you flushed. On that particular TT I used deodorizer baggies to help with the smell. On our new coach you don't smell anything and I haven't used any chemicals. We also don't throw paper or towels or anything in the tank so when it's time to dump it comes out flawlessly.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:06 PM   #19

Most campsites have a dump station you can use when your stay is over. Why leave the stuff in there to ripen? Especially if it gets warm out. We had a boat and after a week on the water you could smell the tanks when they were venting. Chemicals help. The best we found is the CLR just dump some in every time you use the loo. Empty and rinse after every trip and you won't get build up.
LittleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleHouse View Post
Most campsites have a dump station you can use when your stay is over. Why leave the stuff in there to ripen? Especially if it gets warm out. We had a boat and after a week on the water you could smell the tanks when they were venting. Chemicals help. The best we found is the CLR just dump some in every time you use the loo. Empty and rinse after every trip and you won't get build up.
My theory is that you don't need to dump every time. I've seen people use the loo for the weekend and dump on the way out with very little coming out. That's not good. Now, if you are going to fill the tank with water to at least 1/2 full and then dump...that's good, but a waste of water. Now, let's talk about the tank. It's designed to hold waste with vents, etc. The longer you let the stuff sit in there, the better it gets for dumping purposes. Does it ripen? Absolutely, that's what you want. In a proper setup you won't smell a thing. If you have a toilet that lets some odor come up while flushing then sweeten it up a little with an odorizer. If you can smell it with the toilet valve closed, you could have a bad seal.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #21

The article I read definitely encoraged flushing out the system at the end of your camping adventure. But the rid-x helped keep things liquidy-er until a flush! The more liquid, the easier to rinse.

I was mainly looking for an answer to not having to use chemicals when I found this. Here's the link if you wanna check it out or debunk it:
http://www.aboutrving.com/pdfs/ToiletChemicals.pdf
Old 04-26-2014, 08:09 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by unhipdotcom View Post
The article I read definitely encoraged flushing out the system at the end of your camping adventure. But the rid-x helped keep things liquidy-er until a flush! The more liquid, the easier to rinse.

I was mainly looking for an answer to not having to use chemicals when I found this. Here's the link if you wanna check it out or debunk it:
http://www.aboutrving.com/pdfs/ToiletChemicals.pdf
The writer received a check from Rid-X
Old 04-26-2014, 08:18 AM   #23

Usually we make sure the tank is flushed and drained then we add whatever chemical treatment we are using at the time and dump all our ice into the commode for agitation on the drive home.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:28 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Flush at the end of trip. Then add water and left over ice for the ride home. Does a good job cleaning tank.
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:30 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Between trips........dumped and cleaned cause of full hookups most all the time, if I can't dump before leaving or on a long trip home, I dump when I get home, and over the winter, the Coach sits in the garage in storage, not winterized, as we use it from time to time to break up the winter months, and use the toilet, It sits in the black tank all winter long(only garage camp 4-6 times a winter) the tank has a good level of water in it when put away for using it, and I just dump it when I move it out of the corner of the garage from storage and never had a problem and never smelled anything in the garage over the winter from the vents, the garage is pretty large.......So in ending........Water is the key item, and a lot of it as not to allow a mound to start in the tank......
My black tank also has a spray bar in it for internal tank cleaning, and it works very well.....
Old 04-26-2014, 08:31 AM   #26

I use an enzyme digester. We use them at work for grease traps and such. When we got it in I tried it in the home septic system (it was scheduled to be pumped in a month). Poured it in on a Friday afternoon and checked when we got back, from camping, on Monday. When I poured it in there was a layer of TP on top about 4" thick. Monday we could almost see the bottom of the 1000 gallon tank and no TP. It does not smell like the strong chemicals the wife likes to use.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #27

We are lucky enough to have sewer hook up at our house and rinse very thoroughly after each use. Also put water and chemical down the shoot in prep for next time. Hubby sprays foils and drains tank sever times to make sure water is clear. Never had a problem. He also uses a clear connector so he can monitor what's coming out.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-26-2014, 09:18 AM   #28

And an old trick from grandpa: we pour 1 cup of powdered spic and span down the toilet before leaving the campground on our way home. Helps to keep the tank clean and shakes everything up on the ride.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Tags
tank, water