Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #1

Black water tank question

I'm brand new at this and cannot locate my owners manual (bad combination!!). Wife and I bought out first TT a month ago and have been using it once per week at our hunting lease.
When we bought it the demonstrator included a "how to" unload the black and grey water.

I thought I was doing this correctly as there are two pull levers that dump water through the same pipe with cleaner water following what I though was the toilet water.

Upon draining tanks today to winterize I noticed another pipe/valve near the back of the TT that is labeled "wastewater". I drained this for the first time in a month and it has a horrendous odor. If this wastewater is the sewer, what is other tank which also appears to hold toilet water?

Confused and therefore appreciate your help!
Grmaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
You may want to post the year, make, and model of your TT to get some info.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #3

It sounds like you maybe have two grey water tanks. One would be for the kitchen and the other for the bathroom. Where there are two handles side by side and one outlet, you want to dump the black water first. The black should have a black colored handle and the grey a silver handle if you have remote valves. If the piping is exposed, the black water will be the larger diameter pipe. Dumping the grey 2nd allows soapy water to help flush out the hose. Then move your hose over to the other grey tank outlet and dump that.

If you have two outlets, you could set them up with a wye fitting collecting into a single hose. Not really necessary though and more to pack around.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club

You might also invest in a clear drain pipe connector so you can monitor what you dump.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ewer%20adapter

If there's a question on what tank fills from which drain, you could use the clear connector and a few drops of food coloring. If you have 3 tanks, then usually kitchen is one gray tank because it gets used a lot. The other gray tank drains bath sink and shower/tub. The black tank is only the toilet. If that's the way your rig turns out to be, you'll need to make sure you use plenty of water to flush toilet, perhaps even dumping a bucket of water down first to make sure everything stays liquid. Draining the black tank slowly or not having enough water is a sure path to trouble.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:10 AM   #5

Gray kitchen waste water can smell as bad as the black water. It sounds like yours had time to get rather bad. You might want to flush it by filling with soapy water followed by fresh water.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:13 AM   #6

Try pouring rid-x or bleach down the sink for odor control.
Mossy cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:41 AM   #7

Thanks for the input. We have a 2013 Kodiak 300 BHSL TT.
Grmaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some RV's have 3 dump valve.. For one of two reasons

Mine has 3 tanks, and thus 3 valves

Black, Gray, and Wash (Gray and wash are almost the same, the difference is the kitchen sink is GRAY, wash is Bathroom lavs, shower and if you have it a washing machine only)

Some have a 3" Black valve, a 3" "Master" Valve and usually a 2" or there about, Gray valve.

The way it's plumbed is with the two (Black and Gray) feeding a common pipe and the "Master" valve is in the common pipe.. In this config you can dump black, then use gray to flush the black tank by closing the master and opening both tank valves.. Then closing the GRAY valve and re-=opening the master, finally open gray to finish dumping it.. Or at least that is the theory.

Now... What I have found is that when it comes to odor

GRAY is the worst. Black, not often so bad.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:27 PM   #9

Grmaji kodiak 300bhsl's do indeed have 2 grey tanks and 1 black. One grey is for kitchen sink and one for bathroom/shower
Old 02-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Over time I have had to remove the toilet and thus have more or less had my nose stuck in the black tank while I did woodwork in the area around the pipe.. The odor was not that bad.

Gray water on the other hand,,, Stinks to high heaven.

So.. IF the two valves are different size, the smaller one is Gray.. The larger one Black.. But odds are the stinker one is also gray.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:09 PM   #11

Do the trailers with the extra tank have a display panel that shows all three tanks levels?
Nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #12

Mine has a display indicator for all 3 tanks and the other's I've looked at with 3 tanks do also.
RandyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:09 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyadamn View Post
Do the trailers with the extra tank have a display panel that shows all three tanks levels?
Only when the RV is brand new.. once the tanks have been used it has an indicator that shows them as 2/3 full when they are empty,,, Just like every other RV.