Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2015, 08:52 AM   #1

BLACK WATER TANK SMELL ON KZ Frontier 2005 model.

POSTING FOR MY NEW USED CAMPER FRIENDS... blackwater smell in the trailer... how to get rid that? ?? They say the hoses are new... but don't know how to advise them on gettibg rid of smell. .. other then some clorox and additional cleaning...

Please Advise DEAR FRIENDS Thanks!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2015, 09:24 AM   #2

not sure bleach is your best best.

I would fill my holding tanks with softened water and just let it sit for a few days. not sure where you can get that were you are. soft water would break down anything hard and stuck in the tanks.

after a few days drain it and then fill and empty 2 more times

then I would add the drop ins to the toilet and put another 6 gallons in and leave until needed.

as for the fresh water tank I would put about a quarter of a cup of household bleach on and top off with water.

wait about 30 minutes and then pull the cap on the drain and let empty.

flush by filling and draining several times until the leach smell goes away.

that's how I do it every season.

if you find the black tank is not giving up the black gold you expect then you can get if you don't have one of those flushing systems where you use a hose to clean it.

I never bought one yet as the steps above have worked fine for me so far.

I'm sure others have their solutions to tell about,

good luck

Old 08-02-2015, 09:50 AM   #3

Thanks.... will share...appreciate it.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojo1228 View Post
POSTING FOR MY NEW USED CAMPER FRIENDS... blackwater smell in the trailer... how to get rid that? ?? They say the hoses are new... but don't know how to advise them on gettibg rid of smell. .. other then some clorox and additional cleaning...
Dojo1228
There are many things that can cause a "blackwater smell in the trailer", (and many solutions).
For 100s of answers do a search here on iRV2 for "sewer smell".
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-02-2015, 10:05 AM   #5

Smell

I had JUST read about this problem, this there advice.
several RVers found the smell was from HOT Batteries
, both inside and outside, if hooked to Shore power you need to check them often as when they get hot they can boil the acid and make Rotten Egg smell. the other Stink Maker is Kitchen and Bathroom sink & shower drains, if you seldom use them the water in the P Trap dries up and the gasses and smells from your Grey tanks rise up and stinks. at least once a week pour a glass of water in the sink drains.
Hope this helps
Ken
Old 08-02-2015, 11:33 AM   #6

How do you know it's black holding tank smell? Does it always smell? Just when you flush the toilet? Is there water in all the p traps? Does the toilet hold water or does it drain through? Does the hot water smell bad? Do all the air admittance valves close properly?

What hoses are new? There shouldn't be any hoses for the black tank...
Old 08-02-2015, 12:12 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojo1228 View Post

Blackwater smell in the trailer is due to a malfunction of the system. To get rid of it, you first have to find the malfunction and then repair it.

Hoses are new? The black tank (and gray, for that matter) doesn't have any "hoses". Everything is fixed and hard piping. The only hoses are on the fresh water system and most of them are not accessible.

Yes, cleaning of the black tank may indeed be needed and accomplished...but not with "clorox".

Need more info on the trailer's black tank usage. Did the owners use it with the drain valve opened? Did they use any type of cleaning agent while traveling? Does the black tank have a rinsing device? Do they keep water in the tank prior to using? Do they use lots of water when flushing the toilet? Do they have the motorized vent in the bathroom running when they use the toilet? Where is the odor coming from? Have they replaced the Air Admittance Valves?

For cleaning the tank, my recommendation is for them to empty the tank and then put about 5 gallons of water in it along with a cup of laundry detergent (I use liquid Oxy Clean) and a cup of Calgon water softener and then drive for a day to their next destination. The sloshing of the water in the tank along with the soap and softener, should remove any solids or TP stuck inside the tank. At the next stop, fill the tank and then drain.

FWIW, adding black tank chemicals only mask the odor...it does nothing to eliminate the problem.

Hope they find the problem.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Blackwater smell in the trailer is due to a malfunction of the system. To get rid of it, you first have to find the malfunction and then repair it.
Ron
lanerd
Right on!
If "tank odor" gets into a RV something needs FIXING.

There are lots of "gadgets and gizmos", (as well as chemicals and cleaning methods), available that do not fix the problem....(most are as useless as putting a Band-Aid on a broken leg).

Mel
'96 Safari, (odor free for 19 years, 141k miles)
Old 08-02-2015, 03:55 PM   #9

Quote:
There are many things that can cause a "blackwater smell in the trailer", (and many solutions).
For 100s of answers do a search here on iRV2 for "sewer smell".
Mel
^^^This and this vvv

Quote:
I had JUST read about this problem, this there advice.
several RVers found the smell was from HOT Batteries
, both inside and outside, if hooked to Shore power you need to check them often as when they get hot they can boil the acid and make Rotten Egg smell. the other Stink Maker is Kitchen and Bathroom sink & shower drains, if you seldom use them the water in the P Trap dries up and the gasses and smells from your Grey tanks rise up and stinks. at least once a week pour a glass of water in the sink drains.
Hope this helps
Ken
When we got back from our last trip I noticed an odor that I thought was the black tank.
(which had been flushed upon returning BTW)

Pulled it back up to the wash-out plug at my shop and flushed the tanks again. Dropped chems in there and the whole bit.
Still had the smell.

Turned out the (unlit) oven pilot had been left on and it was the propane we were smelling.
It was a very faint smell so no real danger of an explosion at that point.

First time that has happened to me in over 15 years of RVing.
I'll be checking that constantly now. ...especially before bedtime.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:50 AM   #10

Wow.. I will pass on this info for sure..... its temporary housing for them right now....as rhey their new house is built. .just till Nov... but still the smell must fo. Thank you all for sharing.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:04 AM   #11
bap

couldm it be a clogged vent pipe that ncomes out the roof-----i have seen leaves and wasp nests in those and caused a stink,,,,,but usually the drains slow dwn do to no air..----just a thought....
Old 08-03-2015, 09:39 AM   #12

fixes

there are many fixes but what is the problem. the odor is a symptom

not the problem.

Jim
Old 08-03-2015, 10:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post

Turned out the (unlit) oven pilot had been left on and it was the propane we were smelling.
It was a very faint smell so no real danger of an explosion at that point.

First time that has happened to me in over 15 years of RVing.
I'll be checking that constantly now. ...especially before bedtime.
Have your stove checked.... the pilot should not be able to flow gas without holding in the temp knob... it's a safety feature.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:46 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Check the grey tank valves under the bathroom and kitchen sinks. Most "black" tank smell people report is actually grey tank smell.

Tags
smell, tank, water