Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2016, 09:12 AM   #1

Blue OX SwayPro BXW1000 a good WD hitch??

I'm considering buying a used Blue Ox SwayPro Weight Distribution Hitch Model BXW 1000 to pull a 26' @ 4000# TT. My TV is a 2000 Ford Expedition 5.4L V8 with rear end recently upgraded from 3.13 to 3.73. I pull the TT now wit no WD hitch of any kind but I can definitely tell I need one.

the other option I'm considering is the Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution RV Hitch 4-Point Sway Control

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2016, 09:17 AM   #2

Yes its a good hitch. Some would say a great hitch. Clean, quiet, simple, and effective.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:05 AM   #3

Blue OX SwayPro BXW1000 a good WD hitch??

I recently bought and installed a Blue Ox Swaypro BXW1000 hitch and have pulled our new Bullet 269RLS (31' overall and 7,500 lbs GVW) TT a bit over 600 miles with it. I love it! Works great for WD and sway and it's fast and easy to hook up. And, as just said above, it's very quiet and smooth. I would suggest you call or email Blue Ox and see what weight bars they would recommend for your 4,000 lb trailer though, because you might be happier and the ride might be better with lighter rated bars. I emailed BO, telling them the specs on my F150 and TT, and in my case they recommended the BXW1000.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:36 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Fastway

Check out the Fastway-E2
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:39 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbreaker View Post
Check out the Fastway-E2

That's what I use and it's awesome
Old 05-07-2016, 08:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburkett View Post
I'm considering buying a used Blue Ox SwayPro Weight Distribution Hitch Model BXW 1000 to pull a 26' @ 4000# TT. My TV is a 2000 Ford Expedition 5.4L V8 with rear end recently upgraded from 3.13 to 3.73. I pull the TT now wit no WD hitch of any kind but I can definitely tell I need one.

the other option I'm considering is the Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution RV Hitch 4-Point Sway Control
I bought the BO SwayPro and spent a few hours installing it and couldn't be happier. The TT certainly rides a bit smoother.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:34 AM   #7

We have the Blue Ox, cant compare because that is all I have had, but I am very happy with it. Simple, clean and quiet. Keeps everything in check behind my GMC 1500.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Has anyone ever noticed a better ride in the TV from a change in the hitch. Washboard freeways are killing me.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:10 AM   #9

I love ours! It's absolutely amazing compared to our old Reese setup.

My dealer installed 750lb spring bars when I bought our new Conquest 268BH and refused to swap out for 1000lb bars after I thought the performance was a little lacking (still worked better than the old Reese setup). I called Blue Ox customer service and they said the dealer was wrong for selling us 750lb bars and shipped me 1000lb bars on their dime with a return shipping label.

Now that's customer service at a level that I never expected! They were extremely polite, very helpful, and quite generous. I'm a happy Blue Ox owner!
Old 05-10-2016, 08:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
Has anyone ever noticed a better ride in the TV from a change in the hitch. Washboard freeways are killing me.
My TV ride is much better than the old Reese WD hitch we had...even when I had the undersized 750lb bars on there. Now the setup is perfect! Smoother ride under all conditions and no sway in the Interstate.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:48 AM   #11

I have a feeling all the decent $500+ hitches perform about the same. Blue ox, hensley, anderson, equalizer, etc. Everyone says they all work great. I have the equalizer and it does. I don't get any sway. Only takes me a minute to put the bars on. Just not a fan of the cross winds but I imagine there's not much I can do about that.

I'd be curious to hear from people who have used different hitches but on the same vehicle and trailer for a more direct comparison.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
I'd be curious to hear from people who have used different hitches but on the same vehicle and trailer for a more direct comparison.

I can speak to that: The original hitch on our F150 and Bullet 269RLS was an EZ Lift WDH and a friction sway bar. My new hitch is a Blue Ox Sway Pro 1000. The new hitch is easier and faster to hook up, quieter, can back up without removing anything, smoother riding, much better sway control and provides for a much more confident towing experience in my opinion. In addition I think it was easier to install and set up correctly. Of course I realize the BO cost quite a bit more than the EZ Lift, but to me it's worth every extra penny.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Parkerbill, that is exactly where I am but no BO yet. Is the better ride due to it being setup better or does the BO cause the TV to ride better. Please describe how it is better. Have you figured out how the sway control works on the BO? I like them all but the $600 price.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
Parkerbill, that is exactly where I am but no BO yet. Is the better ride due to it being setup better or does the BO cause the TV to ride better. Please describe how it is better. Have you figured out how the sway control works on the BO? I like them all but the $600 price.

I think the ride is better because of how the WDH works. Properly setup the bars are under a lot of tension and are already bowed some and I believe this allows more flex resulting in a smoother ride. The active sway control, according to BO's website, is a function of the hitch head and the bars. Their website has an explanation of how this all works, but as I understood it if the trailer tries to sway it changes the relationship of the bar tensions and the hitch prevents the sway. If your truck has built in sway control, like my F150 does you are supposed to turn it off or it counteracts the hitch and can cause sway. I. Hope I answered your questions. All I can really say is that I am much happier and more confident towing with the BO.

Tags
blue ox