Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2015, 04:52 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
A 12 volt, 20 amp charger pulls 6 to 8 amps at 120 volts.

A battery is a storage device, keeping a charger on it, defeats the purpose.

With your setup you are probably using more gas, keeping the engine turning then making power. It` like idling a car, zero miles to the gallon.

Honda generators are pure sine wave inverters. There is no conversion loss.

To me, boondocking means solar, when I can and short generator runs if needed.

It works for you, so enjoy.

TB
Yup - If you use 8 of the 13 amps it makes at rated load - You have 5 left over to use during bulk charging. can't run much on 5 amps but laptop chargers.

Nothing is 100% efficient including the hondas inverter.

the boliy line of genset has a higher conversion efficiency than both the honda and the yamaha design - which are actually analog controllers and due for an upgrade.

The shallower the cycling - the longer the battery life.
Keeping it on a maintainer is best practice.

UD

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2015, 06:05 PM   #30

I live on a boat 8 months a year, out on an anchor.

All of my power comes from 8, 6 volt GC2s hooked up to a 2000 watt PSW Inverter.
I charge with 675 watts of solar, giving me about 5 hours of charging time a day, and on cloudy days, Jenny, my EU2000 fills in. While cruising, I have a 120 amp alternator keeping things charged.

I use around 200 AH per day, running a toaster, coffee maker, frost free refrigerator, 2 computers and Sat. TV.

I got 1300, 30% to 40% deep cycles, over 5 years, out of my battery bank, before changing them, so I understand battery care and charging.

I run 2 chargers off my generator, maxing out it`s output, for 2 to 3 hours every few days, mostly in the winter, due to the low sun and short days. That`s it`s only job.

A battery charger pumps amps into batteries. All of the other stuff is marketing fluff. Two good 3 stage chargers sit in my bilge and have no bells and whistles but just work.

I also have installed solar in my M/H, to limit my generator time, when ever I feel the need to live on land and fight traffic.

It`s all good!

Old 01-24-2015, 06:06 PM   #31

Quote:
I live on a boat 8 months a year, out on an anchor.

All of my power comes from 8, 6 volt GC2s hooked up to a 2000 watt PSW Inverter.
I charge with 675 watts of solar, giving me about 5 hours of charging time a day, and on cloudy days, Jenny, my EU2000 fills in. While cruising, I have a 120 amp alternator keeping things charged.

I use around 200 AH per day, running a toaster, coffee maker, frost free refrigerator, 2 computers and Sat. TV.

I got 1300, 30% to 40% deep cycles, over 5 years, out of my battery bank, before changing them, so I understand battery care and charging.

I run 2 chargers off my generator, maxing out it`s output, for 2 to 3 hours every few days, mostly in the winter, due to the low sun and short days. That`s it`s only job.

A battery charger pumps amps into batteries. All of the other stuff is marketing fluff. Two good 3 stage chargers sit in my bilge and have no bells and whistles but just work.

I also have installed solar in my M/H, to limit my generator time, when ever I feel the need to live on land and fight traffic.

It`s all good!
Lots of ways to skin a cat!

Boats, Rv's and Toyhsualer/ trailers...some of my favorite things.....

UD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Long Beach copy.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	84118   Click image for larger version

Name:	beavers.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	84119  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Swansea.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	84120  
Old 01-25-2015, 10:25 AM   #32

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
dagmandt,
You mention a Iota 15.5 volt charger. Iota makes many chargers and list them by amp output, not volts. I see that the 4 step charger has a 15.5 volt step but only on a time setting.
When picking a Iota charger, check the AC input amps, to be sure your generator will handle it. Also remember, some generators ( Honda ) call them EU2000 but are rated at 1600 watts output, with less the 1/2 hour at 2000 watts.
I have one and it just handles 13 amps, before going into overload mode.

More expensive chargers will give you more DC amps output for less AC amps in. You need to check the power factor of the charger.

Happy shopping
Ah, sorry... I was referring to the modified charger that Backwoods solar sells. It has a selectable 14.8v and 15.4v setting and is rated at 55A max. IOTA Battery Charger - 12V 55A
Old 01-25-2015, 11:49 AM   #33
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrains View Post
Thank you so much, the help is really appreciated! To me, the generator and such should have been included as a package deal with the trailer. Gonna call my salesman today!!!
Hope you got your answer..it appears the original thread got side tracked. This tends to happen. People on the forum are pretty passionate and very knowledgable...and some sometimes talk in "8 " cylinder words...on the technical stuff. I like to keep things simple. I bought a generator 2000 watts..it's very quiet. The Honda and Yamaha are not in my budget. I don't run my AC and the generator keeps my battery's charged. I keep water and electricity consumption to a minimum...after all I am camping and don't expect to have all th conveniences.

Thanks for your contribution and keep asking those questions as that's how we all learn here.

Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:59 AM   #34
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrains View Post
Thank you so much, the help is really appreciated! To me, the generator and such should have been included as a package deal with the trailer. Gonna call my salesman today!!!
Hope you got your answer..it appears the original thread got side tracked. This tends to happen. People on the forum are pretty passionate and very knowledgable...and some sometimes talk in "8 " cylinder words...on the technical stuff. I like to keep things simple. I bought a generator 2000 watts..it's very quiet. The Honda and Yamaha are not in my budget. I don't run my AC and the generator keeps my battery's charged. I keep water and electricity consumption to a minimum...after all I am camping and don't expect to have all th conveniences.

Thanks for your contribution and keep asking those questions as that's how we all learn here.

Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:10 PM   #35

Yes i did... thanks coops
Old 01-26-2015, 05:06 PM   #36

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That is boondocking the way Boon did it (Daniel that is) .

Most motor homes come with a generator, However there are limits on the use, with trailers a Genny (for short) can be purchased either as a built in option or as a carry along, but again limits on use.

INVERTERS (Along with a larger bank of batteries) address those limits.

Example of limits: No generators 10PM to 7AM

And with ALL GASOLINE (Or Diesel) Engines: Beware the exhaust, Do not shoot it into your, or your neighbor's RV, on a motor home use a Gen-Turi PLEASE. On a portable genny place with exhaust fumes considered. Far too many people who mis-postion a generator or mis-use it wake up dead every year.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:48 PM   #37

You might look at the Champion 3100 watt inverter-generator. I picked one up at Cabelas on sale for $749. It will run entire TT and A/C...but not A/C and Microwave at the same time....not to heavy and ready to go with a 30 amp RV plug.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:32 PM   #38

Those that recommend other than Honda or Yamaha generators must be deaf. Those two are the quiet ones. Between the two the Honda has a fuel pump to allow the use of a auxilary fuel tank. Yamaha doesn't. I use a 3 gallon outboard type tank with my Honda EU 1000. On E-Bay there is a seller that has a Honda fuel tank cap that is threaded on top for 1/8" pipe thread. A 90 degree street el - some hose and a connector for the outboard tank and you can run your generator for many days without refueling. With a 2000 a 6 gallon tank would probably be better.

Plug your generator into your shore power cord with a 30a to 20a adapter and let your built in converter take care of charging your batteries.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:29 PM   #39

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smile Generators

I have a Keystone Cougar toy hauler. It also didn't come with a generator. I initially purchased a UP Ultra Gen 3500/4000 from RV dealer.$650.00 As we live in the higher elevations, engine power diminished by higher elevations, OR sometimes wanted to run AC when cooking with microwave, found it just wouldn't hold the load. As we plan on traveling to some of the warmer climates in the summers and will need AC much of the time. Purchased a 7500/8000 gen set from Harbor Freight. Was right at 100$ more than the 3500 but has 220 volt, (2- 30 amp legs) and. weights about 50# more than the smaller unit but that includes fuel and run time went from 50% usage of 6 hours to 12 hours. At 50% on larger unit, is running same amps as 100% on smaller unit. As for size, probably is about 4" taller, 6" longer and about 4" wider. Both were electric start units. Not remote start on ether . Haven't really tried the larger unit on an outing yet but no doubt will within the next couple of months. Also, I purchased another 2, 800 amp batteries and run a 2000 watt power inverter as a short term power source when stopping along the road for a quick bite OR at night when sleeping to keep electric clocks, cell chargers, etc. going through the night. Also, purchased an electric fireplace with two heat settings. 750/ 1500 watt. Hope to be able to power it for short times or just before wake up to dampen the chill. Will use an appliance timer to control the time and it's own thermostat will of course control the temp. If warm enough, wont come on even though the timer will allow it to. Just some thoughts. PS, the unit does come with 2 batteries so can tie all 4 together for added amperage and time if desired.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:10 PM   #40

Yes Yamaha and Honda inverter generators are quieter than "open-flame-contractor-type generators that are very loud....HOWEVER...Yamaha and Honda do not have the market cornered when it comes to the quieter inverter-generators.
The Champion 3100 watt inverter-generator is by its' very nature (being "inverter")
in the same class when you compare noise levels (rated in dba output).
I did a great deal of research into this inverter-class generator subject trying to balance cost vs. output vs. features. Length of warranty and service satisfaction also went into the mix in my selection.
Champion's 3100 watt inverter unit offered built in wheels, a folding handle to make moving the unit without lifting, plus the 30 AMP RV ready plug were also a feature worth considering. The included battery charging cable system is a bonus. Yes most if not all travel trailers charge the on board battery when plugged into a power supply but the direct charge cable system can also be used for charging your tow vehicle should the need arise. Direct charging is also faster than the trickle charge most RV systems employ. The Champion also has two additional 20 AMP grounded plugs in addition to the 30 AMP RV ready outlet. The savings in purchase cost is also another factor...plus....one unit runs just about everything on the RV...no need to buy two units and extra cables, adapters etc. the choice is yours...Happy Boondocking!
Old 02-07-2015, 12:42 PM   #41

I also researched the Champion 3100.

On their site, it lists it`s sound output at 68db at 23 feet.

In the ads, they say 58db, so there is some conflicting info there.

68db is much louder then the Honda eu 3000i at 58 db at full load.

What did you find?

As far as charging batteries, most inverter generators output 8 amps. Thats really not worth hooking up, if you have any kind of converter / charger in your rig. Most will be 30 amps or more.

Enjoy
Old 02-08-2015, 04:21 AM   #42

Buying the champion is one thing, running it for a while is something else.

Check out the valve adjustment intervals on the Champion vs the Honda/ Yamaha.

100 hours - way low.

This metric is an excellent indicator of overall quality of parts and expected lifespan.

The champion may be fully featured but its engine isnt in the same league- not even close.

UD

Tags
boondocking