Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2014, 07:40 AM   #43

Fully agree, if only the oem's would just state it in the manual...

bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #44

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
Powerbuilt® 3 Ton Jack & Jack Stand - Tractor Supply Co.

I use this since it has a very large base that makes it stable. It also has an integrated jack stand for safety.

The other thing that surprised me was that when I went to a major tire store in Texas(discount tire) for new tires they wanted to use a floor jack on the end of the trailers frame. The manual that came with my Starcraft and Keystone state specifically to Jack only at the frame adjacent to where the springs are attached. The tire place made me show them the manual.

After they were convinced of the proper location, it turned out that their jacks would not lift the trailer off the ground enough to get the tire off. I had to get my jack out to lift the trailer. I thought this must have been a fluke.

The second time I had this problem was with a 30' Keystone hideout. The tire shop wanted to Jack it up at the axle. Again I had to be very direct and actually raise my voice to stop them from jacking it up on the axle. Their rationale was that they "do this all the time" Again I had to use my jack.

Make sure and watch how those guys handle your rig!
My lacrosse frame sits about 22 1/2" off the ground. Also has a wide spread dual axles. Im thinking that 3 ton jack would struggle to lift my 8500 lbs unit.
I do like the concept of the jack with the stand.
How difficult was the lift? do you think it could lift 1000 lbs more?
Im thinking of having to pull up on some double stacked 2x12 on one wheel, Then jack the frame with a 6 or 8 tone jack high enough to get my truck jack or a floor jack under the axle and jack more to get the wheel off.
Im not liking the idea of jacking this unit.

Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:14 PM   #45

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2 ton Floor jack in my care and two bottle jacks (used to be 3 but one got lost) in the motor home One is I think an six or 8 ton and the other is a 12 ton air/hydraulic bottle jack.. That, for the motor home, is the tire changer.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:44 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
My lacrosse frame sits about 22 1/2" off the ground. Also has a wide spread dual axles. Im thinking that 3 ton jack would struggle to lift my 8500 lbs unit.
I do like the concept of the jack with the stand.
How difficult was the lift? do you think it could lift 1000 lbs more?
Im thinking of having to pull up on some double stacked 2x12 on one wheel, Then jack the frame with a 6 or 8 tone jack high enough to get my truck jack or a floor jack under the axle and jack more to get the wheel off.
Im not liking the idea of jacking this unit.
A 3 ton jack would easily lift one side of your unit. With widespread axles you can't user the ramp or trailer aids. Why would you jack the frame and then jack the axle? I could use my Ford screw jack and put it under the axle and lift it 3 or 4 inches. It doesn't get easier than that. If I need to remove a wheel the trailer barely moves up at all. Try it and you will never use this 2 step process.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:12 PM   #47

The jack easily lifts my 10k lb. 35' trailer. In fact, when it is hitched I can place the jack just behind rear wheel and both wheels (same side) can be removed simultaneously. Also, if I need.more lift distance, I use the lynx blocks (that.I have for leveling)
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:47 AM   #48

Recent trip had a blowout pulling into a gas station (survey marker steel rod) one tire went a little over the curb. I carry my stabilizer jacks (not bolted / welded to the frame). I also have 7" long piece of 3" C channel 4.1# welded to the top of the stabilizer jacks that the TT frame sits in when I use them as frame stabilizer jacks that also captures the axle tube and provides a wider pressure area when jacking the axle (4,400 # rated axle). They also collapse down to 6" or so and up to 24".

I use 2 of them (rated at 7,500# each) for safety and stability side be side. Put a good base of 16" 2x4 under each jack, then raise each one to meet the axle, then jack them up evenly (a little on one, a little on the other). I also crib the axle with 2x4's as it goes up as a safety practice. When I get the tire off the ground I continue to raise it until I get the last crib set, then let the axle down onto the crib with both scissor jacks carrying about 30% of the load and the crib carrying carrying 70% of the load.

Change the tire

Raise the axle a tad to loosen the crib, remove a crib layer, lower the 2 scissor jacks, work that process back and forth until all cribbing and jacks are clear and wheel fully loaded.

No extra jacks, have 4 scissor jacks if I need them, wide lift capability, if you have a hard time turning the scissor jack, that tells you something is wrong and recheck everything.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:13 AM   #49

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bottle jack with jack stand.. The problem with a bottle jack is this: Sometimes epically if it is a FLAT tire, it won't slip under the lift point.

Now a FLOOR jack... That is what is in the trunk of my car.. Trust me. .it worked.

Problem with floor jacks though is they tend to have less lifting capacity (my bottle jacks are 8 and 12 ton, the latter air/hydraulic so it's really easy to jack it up. The floor jack 2 ton).
Old 05-31-2014, 10:55 PM   #50

Had to stop Discount Tire from jacking 1 foot inboard of the spring perch with a floor jack-TWICE!
Now when I bent an axle in Baja and had to drive 300 miles for help (went through 5 tires in that journey) I used my F 150 scissors jack next to the spring perch. Works fine for 1 wheel. Now my jack does have a curved top face that cradles the axle tube perfectly with no point load to deform the tube and I wasn't too worried about that axle anyway as it was toast. TT only weighs 5000# so I have a little over 1000# on each wheel.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:22 AM   #51

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have Torflex axels. What is the best way to jack with this system?

I PLAN TO LIVE FOREVER. IT'S WORKING SO FAR.
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:22 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Problem with floor jacks though is they tend to have less lifting capacity ... The floor jack 2 ton).
When towing an RV trailer on long trips, I haul a real full-size floor jack in the bed of the pickup. 4-ton floor jack weighs about 100 pounds. To heavy for an old man to load in and out of a car truck, and I'd have to remove the jack handle to make it fit. But I can manage it in the bed of a pickup.
4 ton Steel Heavy Duty Floor Jack with Rapid Pump®

I also have one of those itty bitty cheap 2-ton compact floor jacks, but it's almost useless for trying to change a trailer tire in a barrow ditch. Yeah, it's easy to load it in the truck, but useful only if the flat tire is on a driveway or parking lot.
2 ton Compact Trolley Jack
Old 06-06-2014, 01:20 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibase View Post
I have Torflex axels. What is the best way to jack with this system?
DO NOT put the jack on the axle housing. Instead, put it on the frame of the trailer as close as you can get it to the axle housing for the tire you want to remove.

Unlike leaf spring suspensions, Dexter Torflex axles are independent. But there is no spring perch, so nowhere better than the frame of the trailer to place the jack.