Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2014, 06:45 PM   #29

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Probably not. But ask. Or find a friend with a TT you can "barrow".

Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmerz View Post
Thanks everyone. It's hard when you go to these dealers who are supposed to be the professionals and they either don't really know themselves or intentionally deceive people. As long as that trailers dry weight is under say 10,000lbs they say "oh yeah, your truck can tow this!" Grrrrrrrr.

What do you guys think of these specs:
Dry Weight 6726lbs
GVWR 8625lbs
Cargo Capacity 1766lbs
Hitch Weight 625lbs
Axle Weight 6200lbs
Exterior Height 10.83'
Exterior Length 35.08'
Exterior Width 8.00'
Interior Height 6.67'

I notice it is a little long at 35' but is something in this weight/hitch weight range acceptable for my truck...
No. Too long and too heavy. Cut 8' off he end and 1500lbs off the dry weight. You need to realize that your truck is not rated to carry very much.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #31

Quote:
I'll probably end up going a little smaller than that. But that is a great recommendation on the test tow... I'm sure the dealer allows that right?
A test tow won't tell you much. You won't be loaded for camping so you'll be 1000lbs light and the tongue weight won't be right either. Only thing you find out is that your 5.7 has the power to pull it.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:21 PM   #32

Jimmerz i to am from the burgh....I have a f150 ecoboost with 1600 lbs of payload. I have a 2013 passport 2650bh it's 4800# empty and about 6200 loaded. I go to Somerset often to camp and also do the myrtle beach trip every year and have for the past 6 years. I honestly with my half ton truck would not pull anything longer or heavier with it. I have a good equalizer 4 point wdh too. It is me the wife my daughter and mutt that go all the time. The truck has plenty of powerr and tows it great but I would not feel safe with bigger I feel I am on the edge with what I have but it does work well. Take a look at the keystone ultralight trailers. How many people do you usually have? We love our 2650 bunkhouse.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #33

Just going to be me my wife daughter and small dog.

Thanks, I will check those out!
Old 04-19-2014, 07:47 PM   #34

+1 on the load issue, but the biggest thing is the air!, First trip out west with a Jayco 22 FB (which is actually 23+) pulled by a Toyo 4-Runner (well within load limits) was fine till we came back thru Kansas in April. Crosswind on interstates was white knuckle time. Had no problems in mountains at all. Now pull with F-150 SCREW with 302 motor, and the extra tow vehicle weight and wheelbase really helps, but I wouldn't want anything longer.

Start small and simple, see how it goes. That's what we did, and now the TT is for sale and we're looking at Class A's. There's some good deals in the classified's here. Don't expect this one to be your last RV, look at it as a start.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:17 PM   #35

Quote:
Just going to be me my wife daughter and small dog.

Thanks, I will check those out!
No problem have any questions just ask
Old 04-19-2014, 10:57 PM   #36

What happens when you max out a tow vehicle is you will need to make continual steering corrections as the tail wags dog going down the highway.

Passing semi's or semi's passing you will cause two hands on the wheel and concentration. Especially with a long 32' or 33' TT.

I used to tow with a 2011 1/2 ton truck. It towed my 5,500lb trailer ok. I towed all over western Pa. You will have plenty of power but controlling the trailer will be the biggest issue.

You will want your trips to be fun. Look for an aerodynamic trailer. That will help. For example - a 1/2 ton truck could tow an Airstream trailer that weighed 7,000lbs. easier than it can tow a 6,000lb. trailer that is not aerodynamic.

Some trailers that are aerodynamic are Airstream (These are nose bleed expensive) Keystone Vantage trailers (no longer being made) Evergreen Element. You could also look at large pop-up trailers. Or a smaller than 30' other brand.

Good luck.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #37

If you are pulling with a half ton investing in a Hensley hitch would be a good thing. I towed a 33' foot Windjammer with a 2013 F150 and the Hensley hitch eliminated the the trailer sway completely. Pulled very comfortably. I now have a motor home and if your interested in a Hensley hitch let me know. happy camping
Old 04-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by normar2 View Post
If you are pulling with a half ton investing in a Hensley hitch would be a good thing. I towed a 33' foot Windjammer with a 2013 F150 and the Hensley hitch eliminated the the trailer sway completely. Pulled very comfortably. I now have a motor home and if your interested in a Hensley hitch let me know. happy camping

While the HA and PP are really great top of the line WDH's, they both will add more weight than a regular WDH. Something the OP is short on. With only 750lbs for tongue weight subtracting 150lbs for the HA or PP only gives the OP 600lbs for TW. At that low of a tongue weight he has taken himself out of a long TT and is in the 24-26' OAL range. Something his 1500 would handle just fine with an EQ or Reese.
His truck is simply inadequate for anything over 24-26' and 5000lbs loaded.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:47 PM   #39

I suggest the equalizer hitch easy to set up and simple to hook up too
Old 04-21-2014, 10:29 PM   #40

Here's another comparison. My f150's payload is just shy of 1700lbs(4x4 supercrew shortbed). My trailer is rated at 4700lb dry weight and 430lb dry hitch weight. With batteries, propane, food, clothes and a few light chairs and small BBQ in the front pass-through storage, my tongue weight is 640lbs and total weight is 5600lbs. (just added an electric jack, that's another 30lbs on the tongue) That's with less than 1/4 tank of water and nothing in the holding tanks. It's just me dw and 5 year old dd in the truck. I've got another 100-200 lbs in the bed. My weight distribution hitch probably weights 70lbs.

I wouldn't pull a heavier trailer and most of my towing is on the prairies. (Nash 23b). I had to spend half a day to adjust the weight distribution hitch for the truck to drive right.

The weight numbers in the brochure mean nothing, your trailer will always weight a lot more since manufacturers don't include the weight of water, batteries, propane, options, any of your gear, the 6 gallons in the water heater, water in the pipes, etc...

To do it again, I would probably buy a shorter trailer. We go camping to be outside, so long as we have a dry place to sleep everyone is happy.

For years we had lots of fun in a tent trailer, going places I wouldn't be able to go today.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:46 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a GMC 1/2 ton and bought a 27' Komfort trailer with a slide.

I weighed with the weight distribution hooked up and with it not hooked up. It shifted about 250lb from the rear axle to the front axle.

I had it tightened to the point so the truck and trailer were level. Our first trip was to be up through the Sierra mountains. We made it half way to Lake Tahoe and changed our travel plans.

I bought a GMC 2500 HD shortly after that trip...

You really need the bigger truck to handle a big trailer, not because of pulling power but because of handling performance during a panic stop.

As far as a test tow no dealer would let me do it, claiming insurance problems.

I think you will have problems with anything over about 27 feet.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:33 PM   #42

You can debate the 1/2 ton 3/4 ton choice all day but it honestly depends on the truck fords newer f150 with heavy duty payload and max tow 4x4 quad cab with the 8200 gvwr averages a payload of 400 more pounds than its 3/4 ton so called big brothers. F150 upwards around 2100 lbs f250 same options with a diesel around 1600 lbs on MANY I have seen. So EVERYTHING depends on the exact vehicle itself with options engine choices etc etc. The older 5.3's in the bow ties were absolute dogs. As were the 5.4 f150s. I know i owned one. The new ecoboost is night and day to the old 5.4. The rams have a great engine but usually lack in the payload area do to the 6800 gvwr.