Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Question Bought a Used 2012 Dutchmen Denali 289RK

We Just Bought a Used 2012 Denali 289RK Last week. We bought it from the Dealer who originally sold it. We have owned many RV's Motor homes and 5th wheels. But have not owned a TT for 40 years. My DW was having a hard time with the steps to the Bedroom in the 5th wheel that we traded in for the Denali. We have not picked up the Denali yet and will do so next week. Is there anything we should look for and be aware of? Any trouble spots to be aware of? Would appreciate your comments both Pro and Con. I have to inspect the unit myself as the Dealer wanted $795 to do a inspection which I refused to pay, so will have to do my own. The unit Looks brand new and I have found no visible damage. It appears to be in Excellent shape and well taken care of. I will be testing everything before I pick it up. Having been RVer's for over 40 years I am pretty well informed on most things RV, Just not this model and it is the first one we have had with a rear kitchen. Any advice is appreciated.

2006 Four Winds Hurricane 31D, Steer Safe, CHF, 50 Amp Conversion, 3000 Watt Inverter, Toad is a 2007 Jeep Liberty Sport. Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar, Apollo Braking System
mhbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
Since you are an experienced RV'er, then you know all the systems that need to be checked. I'd look around the ceiling edges and around roof vents to see if it has leaked any. I'd also check the tires for cracking or uneven wear and it might be due a wheel bearing lube job.

I'd agree with you though, there's no way I'd pay a dealer $795 for a unit I was buying from him. What a crock!

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Prior: Jayco Pop Up, Shasta Bunkhouse, Rockwood Pop Up
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
I too left my motorcoach behind and bought a Denali TT. Like you we have had several trailers and one diesel pusher. The Denali 262rb had the best floor plan for what we wanted to do next. It also has the extreme weather package which we recently tested out. While in Big Bend NP the temps dropped to 26 over night and the heater only came on twice and we were completely comfortable. Further, my fresh water did not freeze or slow down! We sere dry camping so it was a good test.

I bought new and so I have a warranty. Here is what I have had fixed thus far maybe it will help you check yours out:
Defective/leaking water pump.
H2O gas to electric switch panel not working correctly.
fridge fuse loose at panel causing fridge to turn off and on while in transit.
two loose plumbing connections under bath sink where water enters TT
I have found two issues on the roof, needed some extra caulking at seems and I have a nail pushing up.
one side of my slide out room roof seems to be dragging a little bit causing some wear and tear on the EPM.
the rest is just some scratch and dent type of issues that I would expect.

We have towed about 3k miles and have about 15 nights in it and so far are quite happy. My TT is in the dealers shop right now having these issues addressed.

Good luck,

Dave and Anita
Two empty-nesters
2015 Itasca Sunova 33C
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
Rear kitchens get the most BUMP out of bumps. Protect the dishes, etc, with paper towels, make sure everything is tight when you travel. Also, make sure microwave door is tight. We failed to do so, and the turntable plate came flying out, hit the floor and shattered. Not fun to clean up. And a replacement was expensive. $30.00 for the dish, and the whole new micro would have been around $50.00.
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote