Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2016, 07:22 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Bounce...

We have a nice setup. We just completed a 2900-mile trip and should be OK, but we're trashed...... I have very carefully set up our EAZ-Lift WDH according to the directions. The TT has a gross weight of 8500# and is probably close to that loaded, and we have the 1000# bars. The truck squats 1/2" more in the rear than in the front, and the trailer is perfectly level. I have no sway control at all but have not had even minor sway in cross winds and truck traffic. So..... the problem is that this set up is beating us to death on less-than-perfect roads. I towed a different TT for 4 years with this WDH and didn't have this problem. What am I missing?
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2016, 08:18 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I'm new at this, but seems to be 1/2 squat in the rear is pretty small. I would raise the ball a good inch more and see if that weight on the suspension helps with the beating you are taking.

I have a one ton truck and 6,000 pound TT. Need weight on the rear end in order to make the ride tolerable. Will look and see if any of the experts agree with me.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:42 PM   #3

First the truck. I believe the 2014 year is when they started using coil springs in the rear. I have basically the same truck in 2016. Our TT is about 10K loaded and hitch weight around or just over 1000. Using the Andersen hitch. Mine squats a little more than your 1/2", I'm a little over 1 inch. That's a fair amount of weight hanging off an extension at the rear of the truck. I added the Timbren 2016 Ram 2500 Vehicle Suspension - Timbren
on the rear to help catch the load of the TT. I did not use the spacers.
Is this trailer heavier than the other one? And do the bars seem like they are loaded sufficiently? Did you measure how much squat the truck has without the bars hooked up and then after? You might want to do a weight check at some scales for axle loading and what is actually on the tongue. If we get on a fairly rough road it does have an effect on the ride. Other than that it goes down the road just fine. Keep working on it. You'll get it figured out.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:02 AM   #4

I agree with the above. I suspect that you don't have enough tongue weight. Check your weights at the CAT scales and that might show your problem. You could also upgrade to the Equal-i-zer E4 hitch. That will help control bounce and sway. The E4 hitch is about $500 so I would check the weights first before you start throwing money at it.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:38 PM   #5

Shock absorbers and improved spring equalizers a good idea.

As above, check before and after on weight distribution.

TV tires need to be to load, not aired up all the way.

For both, use a CAT Scale.
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:59 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same problem at first with my husky centerline. I raised the ball up one hole and lowered the spring bar mounts one hole which leveled the trailer more and unloaded the spring bars a little. This made a huge improvement.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:02 AM   #7

1000 lbs bars may not be enough, 8500 @ .13% is 1105 lbs for tongue weight, I have had some bounce when loaded heavy in rear of trailer. You have plenty of truck, try the ball adjustment first and good luck
Hike2mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:56 PM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
So with the bars adjusted per the instructions, the ride is really bad. Slacked off one chain link helped a lot. Dropping the cold pressure from 80 psi to 70 psi in the rear tires helped more so I think we are good at this point. Thanks all!!
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote