Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2015, 05:04 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Instead of a lap sealant use a tape called Eternabond (google it). It will last forever but the damage needs fixing before you seal.

TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2015, 09:15 PM   #16

I suspect you have an EPDM roof. IMO the best cleaner is Spic N Span and a soft brush. I use an old worn-out RV brush and a long handle so I may stand and wash the roof.
There is no need to use new caulking, just remove as much old caulk as possible, prep the areas with Eternabond primer, then apply Eternabond tape.
The Eternabond video library shows you step-by-step how to do everything. If the surface is properly prep'ed and Eternabond properly applied, it will not come loose without a lot of effort.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:34 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
There are a couple things I would do in the near future.

First is buy a big tarp to cover the roof or a couple tarps if a big one cannot be found.

At some time in the future (soon) the easiest thing to do is pull the old TPO or EPDM off and replace what you have to. I expect you will find the sheeting will be full of black mold. Got to get that out and away for health reasons. Straight vinegar will kill the mold but even then I would replace the roof sheeting as required.

The tarps can be used during the time you have the covering and sheeting off. If you can rent or have access to a shop during the re-roofing it will make it a lot easier.

I replaced the sheeting and EPDM on a 43 5er in about a month but I did it by myself and only worked on it in my spare time. Carrying up the sheets of plywood one at a time was probably the hardest. If the weather cooperates and you have someone help you you you could do it in a long weekend.

If you want more details let me know and I will give you what information I have.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:00 AM   #18

Thanks again, everybody. Great ideas.

I can't put a tarp over the trailer as it's not allowed in the park and I have no vehicle to move it anywhere so any roof repair I have to make will need to be done in a few hours (less than a day).

The other thing is I'm a 60 year old female with arthritis in my shoulders and degenerative disk disease. I have no one who can help me with the repairs unless I pay for said help and my entire income is $606 per month (and I have to pay taxes on it) while I await a court date for disability (could be up to a year according to the letter they sent me). Things have not been going well for me the last 3 years.... none the less, I intend to fix this myself as soon as possible.

The plan:

Pull up all the caulk, remove the metal bar that goes across the roof (that's where the leak seems to be), and clean up that mess and then follow the below:

QUESTION:

IS IT POSSIBLE to peel back the EDPM (I thought that's what I have before you mentioned it) and just replace the areas of plywood that are soft - currently appears to be less than a foot wide by 4 feet in length at the edge of the roof on both sides (as far as I can tell at this moment) and then RE-lay the same EDPM fabric over it, putty, caulk or whatever then put the metal bar back on (sealing screw holes as well) and then covering the whole mess with Eternabond?

Would that be a sufficient fix? If so, how do I peel back the EDPM? Do I have to remove the front fiberglass panel to find the "end" of it to peel back? Can I cut it (Just realized I would have to remove my awning to get to peel it back on that side...... ) I would be running the Eternabond all the way down the sides if I have to cut the EDPM to make this repair....

I've looked at the Eternabond (or similar product) at Home Depot and I do believe that will be my best bet for the best seal.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:44 AM   #19

Look at the attached link as it goes thru the proper way to reseal your roof and looks like what I was told and read years ago so I am pretty sure it is correct.

How do I Reseal my RV Roof Seams & Sealants? | RV 101® your education source for RV information
Old 04-28-2015, 02:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animalangel View Post

QUESTION:

IS IT POSSIBLE to peel back the EDPM (I thought that's what I have before you mentioned it) and just replace the areas of plywood that are soft - currently appears to be less than a foot wide by 4 feet in length at the edge of the roof on both sides (as far as I can tell at this moment) and then RE-lay the same EDPM fabric over it, putty, caulk or whatever then put the metal bar back on (sealing screw holes as well) and then covering the whole mess with Eternabond?

Would that be a sufficient fix? If so, how do I peel back the EDPM? Do I have to remove the front fiberglass panel to find the "end" of it to peel back? Can I cut it (Just realized I would have to remove my awning to get to peel it back on that side...... ) I would be running the Eternabond all the way down the sides if I have to cut the EDPM to make this repair.....
Ideally? No. The reason: the old roof membrane will have glue, and dust, and junk, and old wood attached to it. Not to mention it may tear upon removal. With all that junk on it, it may not adhere properly to the new wood. It would be like trying to add sealer to a dirty, wet roof.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:19 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animalangel View Post
Thanks again, everybody. Great ideas.

QUESTION:

Would that be a sufficient fix? If so, how do I peel back the EDPM? Do I have to remove the front fiberglass panel to find the "end" of it to peel back? Can I cut it (Just realized I would have to remove my awning to get to peel it back on that side...... ) I would be running the Eternabond all the way down the sides if I have to cut the EDPM to make this repair....

I've looked at the Eternabond (or similar product) at Home Depot and I do believe that will be my best bet for the best seal.
You could remove the termination strips and peel back the fabric (EPDM or TPO). As mentioned there is the possibility of tearing the fabric but it is fairly low. Generally if there is moisture the sheeting will give before the fabric.

However IMO there would be no percentage in doing this unless you peeled it far enough back to cut out and replace the affected sheeting. By the time you did that I think it would be more efficient and cheaper to replace the entire roof. Main worry is to check for and get rid of any black mold.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:04 AM   #22

Ok.... more great information, thanks everybody.

I'm going to have to digest all the information and come up with a good plan of attack. So far I know for certain that cleaning it thoroughly will be essential to anything I do to it.

I do intend to remove the termination bar that goes across the roof on the top (I'm pretty sure that's where the leak is) and see what I find under there and I'll clean that up really well too.... Once I get that up I can see what I have to do from there I guess.

I'm aware of the black mold issue because I had it under the linoleum of my kitchen and bath floors so I'm going to have to see what I can see when I get that far.... I may try to pull the EDPM back far enough to cut out and replace the soft wood along the edges but I don't know.... I'll think about that.

One thing I DO know for sure is that the very last thing I do will be seal it with Eternabond at least 4 inches in width.

I have not gotten up on the roof since it rained all day yesterday but it appears the plastic I covered it with protected it pretty well.... the inside ceiling has not gotten any worse and everything appears to still be taped down on the roof from what I can see without a ladder. Starting tomorrow, we are supposed to have several dry days in a row so maybe I can play with it then. Thanks again.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:59 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
This is what the roof looked like before doing any work and what I found inside. The water appears to have been leaking through the A/C but the damage to the sheeting was at the edges.

Note: the spots on the roof were footprints made by me when the 5er was outside. I threw plywood on the roof so I could walk around without worrying about soft spots. I left the plywood up there when I got the TPO and sheeting off in order to put the new plywood on.

Before taking the TPO off.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1650.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	92928

After the TPO was removed
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_1672.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	92929

I doubt your mold issues will be as pronounced as this, however it is something that should be checked.

I replaced all of the particle board sheeting with plywood and then put on new EPDM.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Silicone sealant is a NO NO on RV roofs. You need a self leveling lap sealant, like Dicor or Sikaflex 715.

That sealant needs a CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN surface and a DRY DRY DRY surface before you go to seal it up.
^this is spot on

..and your dealer who told you to use silicone needs a running beeeach slap

You are truly the epicenter of the VORTEX
Old 05-02-2015, 10:10 AM   #25

Wow, Gordon Dewald! That looks like a big job.... I think removing all the "crap" (vents, a/c unit, etc) would be a real pain in the butt... I really don't think it's anything I could do by myself at all and I HOPE that I won't have this bucket long enough to have to get into that deep.

Question: I see your black mold..... what kind of damage was on the inside ceiling in that area? Or did you not have to open that up?

Motor7- yep..... damned vortex.... I'm doomed.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:35 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
The black mold was in the sheeting. Underneath that was a layer of aluminum foil that stopped the moisture. I sprayed everything down with straight vinegar several times to kill the mold and stripped the sheeting off. The sheeting ended up in the burning pile and was destroyed.

Fortunately the aluminum foil caught the moisture. There was no other damage in the roof.

I replaced the sheeting with plywood and put a new EPDM roof on.

Tags
roof