Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
Send a message via Yahoo to WC4Don
Brake switch cable

I'm new to all this and we bought our TT and no one really told me any thing about it. It's used and I just went out on our first camping trip with it. We went to a CG about 60 miles away and every thing went fine. As far as the hook ups go I think I did it right but I'm not really sure. I hooked up the Brake Switch Cable on the safety chains hook up, is that right or not. I have a hitch package that has the weight distribution bars and I used the electric jack to get the truck and TT level it seemed to pull pretty good but when I did get to the hills it seemed to bog the engine down more then I thought it would .. it's a 25 ft Gulf Stream Ameri Lite and I'm pulling it with a 05 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.7 .. now that I read with the guy bought the new camper and flipped it .. I'm only wondering if I have all my P & Q 's right .. I did the tire pressure check and the wheel nuts check ... 2 times even .. I'm head out on a 130 mile trip on Labor Day weekend.. .. I'll take any words of thought and PRAYERS .. I feel like it's going to be a good trip or I wouldn't go .. but you always wonder I guess..

WC4Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
Sounds like you've got it hooked up right. It's very normal for a tow vehicle to bog down in hills unless you have one with a big honkin' engine.

You will do fine on your next trip. Just maintain a comfortable speed and keep a safe distance away from other vehicles.

If you are concerned about your hitch set up, hook up and run by a RV shop and have them look at it.

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Prior: Jayco Pop Up, Shasta Bunkhouse, Rockwood Pop Up
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
Your safety brake switch was hooked up correctly if I understand that it was actually hooked to the truck hitch.

Pulling with a gas engine will usually feel more bogged down when going up hill.

When you get to the campground observe and talk to other campers. They will be happy to talk hitching, towing, hook-ups etc.

You do know that if your campground has full hook-ups you want to keep your black tank valve closed until it is at least 3/4 full. Also use plenty of water when flushing the toilet.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds to me like you did what most people do, You did what the dealer did when they installed the aux brakes on my towed, And .............

The manual says: The brake break-away safety cable should be attached firmly to the frame of the towing vehicle and NOT to any part of the hitch gear.

Alas.. You did what most of us would do.. Myself included.

Why is that wrong? I had two brackets break on my motor home, Dropped the cross member off the frame rails, this cross member is what holds the hitch receiver and, of course, the spot where you hook the safety cables.

Thankfully,, Nothing bad happend.. (Well I lost a bicycle tire and rim but that's minor, 80 bucks minor).

Had the break away cable been hooked to the motor home FRAME instead of that cross member... The car might have stopped.. Alas... That might not have been as good an outcome in my case.. But the point is the hitch receiver in my case, which is where those connection points are, came off along with the rest of the hitch.. Oh well. Better luck next towed (Which is now parked in front of the motor home awaiting the final mods for towing).
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
Often times the breakaway cable is so long, it will drag the ground unless you weave it through or around one of the safety chains. This problem can be eliminated by using a coiled style tether.

This is the one I bought:

Breakaway Switch Tether - RV-LED.com
billandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
You never weave it into the chains. Tie loops in it to shorten, or just physically shorten it with new crimps.

jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote