Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2016, 11:07 AM   #29

Not having had a TT for 9 years--are there any mfgs that supply disc brakes either standard or as an option?
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2016, 12:55 PM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
My guess is the entry level and shorter units will be minimal with few options as to suspension, shocks, brakes. All will have drum brakes and few if any will offer a disc upgrade. We tried on one unit and was told we could not get a heavier capacity axle. They really do not like to alter the assembly line process.

Do your homework. The Dexter Tor-Flex axle is a 4 wheel independent system and I think it's great. We had it on our last two units. Still no shocks which I think is really stupid.

I believe Air Stream has shocks. Most know that the AS unit is the best towing unit available.

TeJay

Old 02-13-2016, 11:28 PM   #31

Most of the higher end 5th wheels offer disc as an option. Very few are standard. Several suppliers of disc brakes (rotor/Calipers), Titan, Dexter & Kodiak. Actuator suppliers are Titan, Dexter & Carlisle (Cargo).
Old 02-14-2016, 07:33 AM   #32

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Joe,
I think that it is harder to find a TT with disks due to the lighter weight, most of the 5ers that offer a disk option are the heavier ones 16,000#GVWR and above.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:22 AM   #33

Joe..I just noticed you have a Mobile Suites? Disc are standard on the DRV.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:16 PM   #34

iRV2 No Limits Club
I come from an industrial inspection and nondestructive testing background, every thing from the space shuttle to carnival rides and nuke plants. I know of and have worked with standards all of my working career and know the differences. Bearings and how to grease them properly were something I looked into and found replacement Timkin bearings and used Amsoil grease to properly pack them.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:54 PM   #35

The March edition of Trailer Life is just out and has some pertinent information about the subject of this thread. Read pages 18, 109 and 110. I hope I'm not:
Old 02-16-2016, 05:09 PM   #36

Freightliner Owners Club
lynnmor,
I don't feel that you are doing that at all, there are too many RVer's out there that do not know this and can be put in a dangerous position unknowingly.
Frank
Old 02-17-2016, 01:09 AM   #37

Ok, so you have all sufficiently scared the crap out of me as I'm days away from signing for our first ever TT of any sort.

So my question then is....if you were purchasing your first trailer, knowing what you know now (and you're not a recent lottery winner), what would you ask and look for?

My second question...we have also looked at C Class as an option, as we love the jump in and go aspect. Would you even consider a 10-12 year old C Class with over 100k miles in the ~$20-30k range?

Thank you all...you guys are taking me to school and I'm all ears.

Chris
Old 02-17-2016, 07:17 AM   #38

halvo,
Any used unit can be a great find or a real money pit--depends a lot on the previous owner(s) maintenance. But at that age and mileage, I would worry about having to put a lot of money into it pretty soon.
titanguy,
Yes, aware DRV has discs standard, but not in '05...
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:20 AM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
Chris,

To properly answer your questions your mechanical abilities and your financial status needs to be considered. Can you easily pay somebody to make the upgrades or can you do most or all of the work yourself??

I for one am not a proponent of the TT. We've had 3 and I was not pleased with the quality or marginal building. I have written my opinion several times on these and other TT forums. I will not waste time re-writing them here. You can do a search and read them. I am also one of those fortunate ones who can do most all of the work myself.

Even if you are purchasing a mid or upper level unit you are dealing with limited brakes, axle and tire capacities as well as lousy bearings, and leaf spring bushings which should be upgraded soon. That's just the true reality of the situation.

We did our usual 2,000 mile trip to FL and back with our new TT. Upon our return I replaced all wheel bearings and suspension bushings (they were shot after 2,000 miles). We also upgraded the tires to the biggest capacity or load range which was available. The tire companies do not make very many load range choices in the 14" rim size. I think we went from a C to a D. That gave us an additional increase in tire capacity of about 400 lbs. for all 4. I also built shock attaching plates and added shocks.

Those upgrades probably cost us $400 to $600. I really don't remember exactly. But I did all the work. That's when we come back to budgets versus abilities.

Following those upgrades I felt more comfortable pulling that TT but we did not like the sloped (lowered) front end which made the front bedroom difficult to store clothes and just living in. So we opted to upgrade to a different floor plan. That's what happens when you buy a TT and don't actually see a live model of the floor plan that you think will work. As it turned out the first TT's slides only moved out about 19". The second unit we got the slide moved out close to 38". That made a HUGE difference as far as the internal floor space. That FR product was a very nice floor plan for a TT.

If you are choosing a TT you will have to purchase a good WD (weight Distribution) hitch. Those will run around $600.

As far as choosing between a TT and a Class C that really depends on two things. We traveled a lot with our Class C with no TOAD. We traveled to ME but my DW's Mother had a vehicle that we used when we got there. Everywhere we traveled we had a vehicle. WHY?? Because we usually just traveled to visit family. When we did go camping in MI we just stayed the weekend or broke camp and used the coach to sight see. It's just a different way to travel.

We've traveled with a MH and no TOAD, a TT and a MH with a TOAD and very much prefer a MH with a TOAD. It takes much less time to set up and break down a MH than it does a TT. Also the frame in a MH is a lot thicker and more stable than any TT. When you are parked the frame does not flex/move like a trampoline.

Setting up a TOAD (assuming you have a TOAD to pull) will cost you somewhere in the range of about $2,000: tow plate, hitch, brake buddy (many choices). All states require a supplemental braking system.

If you decide on a Class C of that age I'm sure you can easily find them because of others who are upgrading to a large unit for the obvious reasons. They should be easy to find. Now we are back to your abilities. Pay to have a prospective unit checked by a good RV technician. If the budget is tight we are back to your abilities. Most of the stuff you'll need to have done is normal maintenance on any vehicle: brakes, brake flexible lines, shocks, exhaust, (SB Stabilizer Bar) bushings, flushing of transmission, coolant and brake fluid is usually a must as preventative maintenance.

Tires are usually timed out (more than 7 years old). Always check for signs of internal water damage. Fixing things of that nature are usually out of the realm of the average DIY type of person. I'd even hesitate getting into that type of stuff. It's not because it's that difficult I just don't have the equipment to fix interior or exterior siding. What if a slide needs work? Yes I can probably take a slide out but how do I support the thing while I'm working on the slide mechanism??

Many folks travel with TT and love them. It's just a different life style. As long as you perform some or all of the upgrades and the annual maintenance you can pull them for many happy miles. One does have to pay closer attention to the tires, wheels, and load placed on the suspension because of the limited margin of safety available.

Sorry for the windy answer. Those are just some items and areas to consider.

TeJay
Old 02-17-2016, 08:31 AM   #40

Chris,

TeJay saves me a lot of typing, I agree with his information.

I had a rather small Sunline TT and after some years of good service, I decided to buy a larger TT. My criteria was two doors, queen bed with bath next to bedroom and maximum overall length of 30 feet. There were only three TT's that qualified at that time.

Now Arctic Fox has a trailer that fits the criteria. Any more major issues with my current junk and that is the trailer I will buy, even though there is only one dealer on my side of the Mississippi river. I carry my title with me so I can bury this junk wherever it dies.

A better (I didn't say good) trailer will cost plenty, but the minimal stuff ain't worth dragging home. I'll never buy anything with the 3500lb axles and 10" brakes again.

At least a class C is built on a real truck chassis, TeJay covered that.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:40 AM   #41

Freightliner Owners Club
Chris,
That is too much money for a Class C that old with that many miles. That is even high for a Diesel pusher, unless it is one of the upscale ones.
A lot has to do with your abilities and your budget. Find a floor plan that fits your needs and your DW likes and then start asking questions about that unit before you purchase. Also you need to know how much weight your TV can safely tow.
Frank
Old 02-17-2016, 08:40 AM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
lynnmore,

You're welcome. From a Teachers point of view no answer can be covered in a few words.

I'm glad 46 years ago, "Will you marry me" was short and to the point. Other wise I might still be single.

TeJay

Tags
brake, brakes