Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2016, 11:54 AM   #43

TeJay, lynnmor, Franka, Wingnut, and everyone that has contributed to lynnmor's original thread (sorry for hijacking it!), this is amazing information that obviously you're only going to get from experienced and knowledgeable folks.

I grew up around TTs, MHs, and my dad is a current 37ft Diesel pusher owner, semi-retired, and just like a few of you, very mechanically inclined. With all of that said, the mechanical gene skipped me and hopefully lands with my son, but I've made my career in technology consulting, startups, etc. My dad, unfortunately lives in CA and I'm in the NW, but he is much more familiar w/ MHs. He hasn't owned a TT since the 70s. So, this discussion on Axle capacity, Brake types, bearings, etc is very relevant to me. I had one, luckily small, incident with a boat trailer where I blew out a hub going over a major pass. That has stuck with me for years and is on my mind every time I pull anything now.

The discussion about mechanical skill vs. paying someone to do it has always been at the forefront of every purchase I make....houses, ATVs, etc. It's a matter of how much do I want to take on, learn, or sub out...(and YouTube has definitely helped in the DIY dept.).

Also, to TeJay's point about a MH and towing a car to more mobile is also a major part of the discussion. We like to get out and explore when we hit the road, so breaking camp is not our first choice. I've got a brand new 10x12 trailer just screaming to carry the ATV and trail bike somewhere, so all of that also comes into the conversation when looking at all of these things. The DW (Dear Wife, I'm assuming?) loves the room in the Bunkhouse TTs, but loves the C Class for the fact that she may feel comfortable driving it someday as well.

Anyway, that's my long-winded way of saying thank you and I will be watching your threads closely and reading up on old posts to learn more. I had also posted a question on the main page about the model I'm looking at and something to do with the slide-out...I may repost it because the slide-out question was a bit hidden, but important.

Thanks again!

Chris

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2016, 12:20 PM   #44

Chris,

On post #20, I have a link to my photos. Each photo has a brief description. If you take the time to wade through all the photos, you will learn more about the state of the travel trailer industry than you care to know. When looking at the photos, remember that this trailer has been garaged at all times that is not being used. It also has been maintained and used with utmost care.

Slides will always bring in a little water when retracted, but you have to decide what is excessive. Water getting into the floor or walls will quickly destroy a trailer. If it takes more than a quick wipe with a towel, it needs to be fixed.

Good Luck

Old 02-22-2016, 09:48 PM   #45

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Received my Dexter E-Z Flex equalizer system today with the wet bolts and bronze spring bushings. Will install along with hand packing the wheel bearings and rotating the tires in the next couple weeks. This should give the 5er a much smoother ride.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:28 AM   #46

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I had the Dexter system on my Sunnybrook 26CKS 2003. The wet bolts made the big difference. The flex system was OK but the rubber puck cracked. Dexter sent me a new one but I traded the TT before I got it installed. I am notsure the Dexter system is the best one out there.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:30 PM   #47

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Highway 4X4,
I'm not sure if the equalizer is the best one, but I had good service from the last set that I installed on my last 5er and it made a huge difference in the way things moved around on the inside. I also know that the 1/2" thick link plates are the heaviest ones out there. Ideally I would like to have the Mor/Ryde setup, but I can't justify the double the cost. Also it doesn't fit my set up as my axles are closer together than most 7000# axles. I value your input though and appreciate you helping.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:15 AM   #48

lynnmore, your last name wouldn't be Btfsplk would it?
Old 03-03-2016, 11:45 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajim View Post
lynnmore, your last name wouldn't be Btfsplk would it?
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ignorance_is_bliss
Old 03-03-2016, 12:10 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
I'm not sure who you are referring to, but let me shatter your bliss...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Btfsplk

Tags
brake, brakes